latest ubuntu kernel upgrade problem with suspend

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by steve161, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

After the latest update to 2.6.32-25, my wired connection is disabled upon wake from suspend. I tried disconnecting/reconnecting from network manager and from terminal to no avail. Network manager shows the wired connection and when I select it, it attempts to connect before timing out. Anyone else with this issue or any tips to solve it?

My fix was just to roll back to 2.6.32-24. However, synaptic also removed the kernel-generic and header-generic packages. Will I still get the next kernel update? Thanks in advance.

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

The header packages were for that specific kernel, next time there is a new one, you will be updated.

3. steve161

Good to hear. Thanks. That was the first kernel in a while that caused an issue with suspend. However, I don't see any bug reports yet.

4. linuxforall

Its happening with certain GPU chipsets.

5. steve161

Well, at least it is a known issue. I'll just keep this kernel installed until a kernel update corrects the issue. Not a big deal for me, since my system is running flawlessly with 2.6.32-24.

6. linuxforall

The only issue is that kernel updates also bring in security related ones, thats where update to me is the most critical.

7. katio

katio Guest

Not in this case, it was a bug fix release not a security update.

8. linuxforall

I meant in general terms, updates of kernel is always a good idea unless one is facing severe issues.

9. steve161

I think I found the problem. In order for my fan to work properly on my laptop, I had to add either acpi_osi=Linux or acpi_osi=\\\"Linux\\\" to grub. However, it seems to be causing the issue mentioned in my first post. Without it though, fan control is very hit or miss with each boot. I'm running without the parameter now and all seems good (46C-48C) but will have to wait for a few reboots to see.

10. linuxforall

Maybe the fan control situation is fixed with the new kernel.

11. steve161

That is what I was thinking. I have a Toshiba laptop with the inside something or other bios, which has been problematic for linux users. But after a few reboots, all seems well. Running some youtube clips and the temp is hanging tough at 52C.

12. linuxforall

Then you are all set, try and update bios to latest, had to do that with my new Toshiba i3 laptop, otherwise no linux would install.

13. steve161

Stop trying to get me to update my bios. Not happening:) . Actually I did download the bios update from Toshiba and burned the boot iso. But it is behind glass with a little hammer on a wire attached to the case.

Edit: Google Toshiba bios update problems. Not for the faint of heart. Although many of the horror stories occured while trying to update within Windows.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  14. linuxforall

Ha ha ha ha in my case I had no choice, it was either update or no Linux, since there would be no Win or Mac for me, it was between a rock and a hard place scenario.

15. steve161

Fortunately for me, my bios problem is not that severe. However, I still have the same fan issue with the new kernel. But I really do not need to suspend when at my home or office. Since wireless is not affected, I will keep the new kernel.

16. linuxforall

And maybe a bios update in future ;)

17. steve161

Maybe. I'm getting a bit of an itch. However, I just removed the acpi_osi=Linux parameter from grub and installed fnfxd (acpi and hotkey daemon for Toshiba laptops) and it actually seems to be working. My fan kicked in when the temp hit 56C and that was what it did when I ran Vista for a day.

18. linuxforall

So its looking good although 56C is a bit too hot for me.

19. steve161

I can live with 56C with this cheap laptop. But, under vista, it would slowly rise to 56 then, when the fan activated, would drop to 48-50. I am also assuming that the temp from acpi and libsensors is accurate

Edit: Also fairly cool to the touch (my fall back sensor).

20. linuxforall

If it feels cool to touch then you are set, try the temp with CPU loaded to 100%.

21. steve161

Fnfxd actually did nothing as the problem returned after a few boots. Am now trying the acpi_osi=!Linux (notice the exclamation point) After a few reboots, suspend and fan are working properly. This is my last attempt for this issue. If it fails, then I will do without suspend while connected to my wired network until the next kernel update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.