Latest signature update?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by BTIsaac, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTIsaac

BTIsaac Registered Member

Okay, first off, I apologize if this is a stupid question, but what is the latest version on the virus signature database?
    For me, it shows 3953, and it's the same I saw on the site, but that is more than two days old. I know updates used to be scarce during the weekend but this is something I haven't seen before. In fact I find it rather suspicious.
    I want to know if it's just taking that much time to upload the latest version (if so, when can I expect it?), or it's been up already and something is wrong on my end. Fact is, I find it hard to believe that there has been nothing for the past 52+ hours.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Yes, 3953 is the last version. A newer one is currently being issued and will be available shortly.

3. BTIsaac

BTIsaac Registered Member

Okay then. I wonder how long that will take. I know it sounds stupid but running an in depth scan after the signature update while taking a morning bath is part of my morning ritual. And it's 1 PM.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's odd yes, but in these situations it usually ends up with some massive update on monday (hence 3955)

6. siljaline

Noted, as 3955 is huge.

7. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

So what happens if a user gets infected with a malware on Saturday or Sunday and they had definitions but no one was there to release them?
    I mean a weekend off is understandable for a small company back in 2003 threat landscape, but this is 2009 with 1000's pieces of just VUNDO coming out daily and while most users browse the web on the weekends, so you are telling me that updating the defs on mondays will help the users who got nabed by a preventable infection on Saturday?
    have you ever tried cleaning most infections? Most users have no knowhow to clean some persistant bugs, especially if you reboot the system and the buggers take on your boot sector.
    As with medicine prevention is the best medicine.

I am sorry but if ESET wants to compete in 2009 and not in 2003 then they should update their update frequency and actually consider weekends. KAV updates in less then 1 hour, hourly and now Symantec Updates every 3 min or so with PULSE.

Finally, no matter how good your heuristics are, the probability of detection from the solid sample are 100% whereupon heuristics you are toying with a 50/50 land.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  8. Salt

Salt Registered Member

How big is HUGEo_O

9. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

200, most of them variants of the same strain family...which emphesizes my point of necessity of weekend updates!!!

10. siljaline

ESET usually does of late, update over the weekend, that is. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.