LastPass Says Source Code Stolen in Data Breach

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by guest, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Now LastPass is being sued by someone who claims his crypto account got hacked because of this breach. Which would mean that hackers cracked the master password.
    https://cointelegraph.com/news/lastpass-data-breach-led-to-53k-in-bitcoin-stolen-lawsuit-alleges

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

3. Rasheed187

BTW, about the lawsuit against Lastpass involving the stolen bitcoins, I assume it's always the user who needs to make sure he/she is using 2FA. I mean, I assume 2FA can't be bypassed just because someone cracked your password database.

4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

5. Rasheed187

Yes, I know that it can be bypassed by for example phishing, but this is still the users mistake. So it will be an interesting lawsuit.

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Right. I don't understand campaigns for strong passwords when 2FA is more important.

7. xxJackxx

I don't feel one is any more important than the other. And they both come up short. Everything does.

8. guest

guest Guest

LastPass breach exposes how US breach notification laws can leave consumers in the lurch
    By lias Groll @EliasGroll | Cyberscoop - November 11, 2023

9. guest

guest Guest

LastPass owner GoTo says hackers stole customers’ backups
    By Carly Page @carlypage_ - January 24, 2023

10. Rasheed187

I'm surprised that nobody responded to this. This is another major blow to LastPass and GoTo's credibility. I do wonder how hackers got access to the third party cloud storage. I suppose this stuff is secured via 2FA, so it was either a phishing attack where employees were tricked to going to a fake website, or hackers planted a cookie stealer on employee PC's.

11. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Hey, another day, another adventure in the cyber world. I believe everything in the cyber world is hackable to some point.

12. xxJackxx

I didn't bother because I already assumed that was the case. I'm glad a cancelled them and deleted my data a long time ago. I hope they weren't storing an undisclosed copy of it somewhere.

13. waking

waking Registered Member

GoTo admits: Customer cloud backups stolen together with decryption key

25 Jan 2023

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2023/01/25/goto-admits-customer-cloud-backups-stolen-together-with-decryption-key/

"What to do?

So, we suggest:

Change all passwords in your company that relate to the services listed above.

Reset any app-based 2FA code sequences that you are using on your accounts.

Re-generate new backup codes,

Consider switching to app-based 2FA codes if you can,

..."

14. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

They reckon some people are still using LastPass.

15. xxJackxx

People will still need to change all of that stuff anyway. But if anyone is intending to continue with them after this... o_O

16. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

17. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Membership for LastPass must be dropping. I keep getting the nag screen every few days now to upgrade to the paid version. I've got them only a few times in 4 or 5 years. This last data breach must of done them in.

18. guest

guest Guest

If You Use LastPass, You Need to Change All of Your Passwords ASAP
    By Shaun - February 10, 2023

19. xxJackxx

That is what I would do. Immediately after closing my account and deleting my data from their servers. Except I already did that 2 years ago.

20. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

LastPass says employee’s home computer was hacked and corporate vault taken

21. XIII

XIII Registered Member

22. Rasheed187

And that's why I keep saying that it doesn't hurt to use extra protection tools in addition to your AV. An anti-logger would have stopped this attack, and I'm guessing that the AV, which was probably Win Defender, was bypassed. Sure, most of us would probably not be targeted, but there are plenty of people who will be. So that's why I always criticized the ''AV + not being click happy is all you need'' mantra.

23. xxJackxx

Not good enough for someone that is an employee of a password manager developer and has a home PC with company data. If they are working from home they should have had a company owned PC that was used only for their job. And a personal home PC that was only used for personal use. The company PC should utilize a VPN. Another inexcusable fail by this company. They need to shut it down or sell the product to someone that takes it seriously. Under current ownership they shouldn't have any users left.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Latest email from LastPass:

25. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"LastPass Employee Could've Prevented Hack With a Software Update

The hacker exploited a vulnerability in the Plex Media Server software that was patched in May 2020. 'The version that addressed this exploit was roughly 75 versions ago,' Plex says...

This week, LastPass revealed the hacker pulled off the breach by installing malware on an employee’s home computer, enabling them to capture keystrokes on the machine. But one lingering question was how the malware was delivered.

At the time, LastPass said only that the hacker exploited 'a vulnerable third-party media software package,' without naming the vendor or the exact flaw.

...the hacker targeted the Plex Media Server software to load the malware on the LastPass employee's home computer. But interestingly, the exploited flaw was nothing new. According to Plex, the vulnerability is nearly three years old and was patched long ago..."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/lastpass-employee-couldve-prevented-hack-with-a-software-update

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.