Last-gen graphics cards $

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TechOutsider, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

TechOutsider, according to GPUReview, the HD4870 seems to be the better card. Perhaps the price difference is due to their interface? :doubt:

ATI 9800 Pro = AGP 8X versus HD 4870 = PCI-E 2.0 x16.

3. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Crikey I've still got my 9800 AGP upstairs in its box. I remember when it came out it was one of the first cards to go big time with memory, mine had 250mb on-board.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The price difference is primarily due to the fact that the 9800 is now a very old card that (generally) people are not interested in buying any longer. Any stocks remaining are used/surplus unsold cards, and in general only someone in desperate need of an AGP card will be buying it. It brings in a good amount of profit to sell it at a premium to such customers since AGP cards are so few these days, and also tends to get rid of the spare stocks......;)

5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

^ Thats the reason alright. Sometime ago I went to buy a SDRAM stick for my old computer and was shocked to find that a brand new 1 GB SDRAM stick cost almost twice more than a brand new 1 GB DDR2 stick.

It is a supply/demand issue. Since there is almost zero supply of old RAM/video card, so they are priced higher than a newer far superior RAM/video card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.