Lasers could power computers wirelessly

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Laser charging would be cool. Protecting humans etc by using low-power guard lasers to shutdown the high-power laser sounds good. But I can imagine unpleasantness. The system "detects devices through inaudible acoustic chirps". So what if someone put such a chip on a sticker? That would be a "kick me" sign with a punch :( Or what if an adversary compromised the charging system, and just disabled low-power guard laser checking?

This sounds a lot like the IoT vision. OK as long as everything works as planned. But vulnerable to adversaries.

3. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I cant imagine that would ever be a consumer item.

4. 142395

142395 Guest

Good insight.
    I think it can be matter of time, as laser oscillator itself is cheap and compact. But curious how actual benefit will be, as the oscillator itself still will need code or plug, tho it may be able to power many devices. And ofc devices have to implement reciever and that ultrasonic generator.

5. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

well the reason I dont think so is because a laser of one or two watts is powerful enough to be used as a weapon.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Right. It's like a gun that's always shooting, except stops when it senses that someone is in the way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.