Large Update

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Rainwalker, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rothko

rothko Registered Member

tis a huge update indeed. and another one coming soon according to HB :D

wonder why they get saved for big roll outs like this though, rather than being added as and when...

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

It is amazing what they can do when you give them some Metaxa iced coffee! :eek: :D

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Seems to me this update is geared towards the AV-Comparatives on demand test coming up in a week or so. There are alot of older DOS viruses, 16 bit windows virii, detection of exploits that have been around for a year or 2, numerous Linux exploits and such. I thought Eset's philosophy was not to detect such "garbage" files and concetrate on ITW threats. Seems like they are adopting the KAV approach. On the other hand it did take quite a bit of work to add all those definitions and I applaud the research team for a job well done.

4. Mike415

Mike415 Registered Member

Its not so much KAV because they probably idnt just put any old def in it. But im sure they were trying to get in som av comparitives viruses because thats how a lot of people pick a new AV program

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Yes, but KAV is their real "Main" competitor. I wasn't slamming Eset just making an observation. After reading my post again it seems to have a negative connotation to it and that is not my intention. I much prefer NOD to KAV. I was just trying to say that some of those that were added today should have been added long ago.

6. shamsay

shamsay Registered Member

yeah great update.felt more protection now.thanx to eSeT Team:)

7. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Maybe rename this discussion to GIGANTIC update :eek: , good job guys... :cool:

8. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

How cool is Nod32.............................. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

9. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

Thats a massive update!

But I got the updates moments before Ronjor posted about them here . It was around 5 PM IST.

Cheers

Akshay

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Would this rank as the largest update ever?

11. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

Probably yes.

12. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

Nice update, but it includes the latest virus etc or old ones? I submitted very old ones long ago and it still haven't been added in yet. Also, this is the FIRST time speeds jumped from 10kb/sec to 100kb/sec. Wow!

13. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

The trial versions are yet to be updated!

14. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Submitting viruses does not mean that they are living viruses. Most of the old viruses submissions what we get is just trash - dead viruses or cleaned files where one scanner produces false positives on it and someone else collects it based on this. Sad story. :blink:

15. rothko

rothko Registered Member

yeah, i'd rather NOT have those sorts of things added to the database. I've read in the 'other av' forum a few times of other AVs including rubbish in their database and then claim to have a huge, comprehensive signature database - i prefer NOD's clean and lean approach :)

16. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Yep. i repeat it just once more: Not detecting a dead virus doesn't mean that you're unable to detect the real working virus.

17. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

The trial version just updated! :D

18. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hmmmm.................could they have paid for them :doubt: Just wondering.....

19. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

So in todays comparative tests, NOD will find this particular virus but tomorrow when the test is over, it won't find it anymore.

Argh this is so confusing..

20. IBK

IBK AV Expert

All companies get after the test the missed samples according to the conditions. There are also many other companies which improved a lot their product in the last months.

Also after the test the viruses remain detected; they will not remove them from the sigs.

21. Brian N

See, now I'm even more confused :)
    After reading your post and this one
    Why add them now and not 2 years ago when they were real threats?
    My guess: Eset removed these old ones from their signatures, and will do so again when the test is over.
    This will boost the test results to something you will only find in a test & not in real life, because the signatures just aren't there anymore when the test is over.

I could be completely wrong as I am still very confused about this..
    Hmm.. Maybe I should drink more coffee ;)

22. zashita

zashita Registered Member

But why remove ? tests are performed all year long by several compagnies / organisations ... :rolleyes:
    I don't think they will remove signatures after only one test, because soon after this one, another test will be performed by someone else, and again, and again ...

23. Brian N

Oh ok so if they didn't remove these old ones from the signatures, Eset are basically 2 years behind then? Interesting..

24. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am so confused with the way NOD works now o_O I have always has anti-virus software but never as confusing as this o_O

I didn't really notice the time it took to update as I only saw the notice that the update had taken place (I presume it was the big one shown here) last night around 6pm UK time.

I will have to read this post again but I think it indicates NOD is changing the way it works now by adding signatures for detection which I 'think' it didn't work with as much on before.
    If this is the case does that not place NOD in a better postion with its heuristic detection plus a library of signatures OR are the signatures too old to mean anything?

Previously I just ran and updated my AV but NOD is keeping me on my toes as I really do not understand what is happening. Only for this post I would just have thought I had updated NOD o_O

25. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I think 99,9% of people will agree with me that it's important to add signatures and not only rely on heuristics :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.