Large update

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Marcos, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you actually a registered user? They have much higher priority to download this large update.

2. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi Marcos,

Thanks for your reply. Nope, trial user. But this was kind of what I was thinking earlier today when discussing this exact issue with Stem....:shifty:

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Actually ESET did have another monster update couple of months ago with 7000 defs. ;)

This is debatable. They were always releasing huge updates just before an av-comparatives.org test. I don't think there is just a coincidence.

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

if that's the case, and it's not coincidental, then surely it's before the CUTOFF for the AV-Comparatives test - which cuts off the updates and then waits and tests an out of date engine for all AV systems included in the test (o_O) - right?

5. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Got my big update first try this morning (I prefer manually updating). Came here to see what might have been added and I see that I should have been fretting all night about not getting the update yesterday. ;)

Still planning on renewing my license soon. :)

6. chr0nz

chr0nz Registered Member

i can't update to thiis update version mines only up to monday

7. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Couldn't it be that some peoples ability to update quickly are being affected by a proxy, whether they realise it or not? Transparent proxies are not uncommon.

For those where that is the case, the number and speed of NOD32 update servers is entirely irrelevant to update issues, whereas the settings of any proxy are entirely relevant.

8. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

That gives trial users not much of an incentive to continue!,they deserve to be protected to the same extent as registered users,otherwise the trial period is worthless!How else are they to judge how good or bad a product is:-"well I'll buy it anyway because registered product might be better" doesn't seem a common response!

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

IMHO this is a correct pov.

During install of the evalution version, Eset promise/claims:

"This is a 30 day fully functional time-limited version of NOD32".

When the install is ready, you can read in the help file:

"By default, updates of the virus signatures database take effect instantly. If you experience any issues after an update, try unchecking the Enable instant virus signatures database update option. This is not recommended, however, as AMON would keep using an outdated version of virus signatures".

The present evalution version of NOD32 2.5 has a virus signature database with version 1.1618, dated 2006.06.23

More then 1 month old.

This is in contradiction what Eset is promising and, even more important, advising the customer.
    Therefore, heavy load of the update servers can't be an excuse at all.

10. NOD32 user

I think your quote from the help file is quite out of context.

Also each new install has out of date signatures until it is updated the first time. Trial or not everybody gets access to updates during their licence period. The fact that updates are prioritised to paid customers during times of heavier server load does not restrict the use or function of the software, nor does it prevent testing of functionality and compatability in a users specific environment.

As a paying customer I am grateful that it is not necessary for me to wait longer if all the trial users hit update at the same instant...

Cheers :)

11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Reallyo_O
    Is not "quit out of text", it is quite the truth.

Not true.
    For trial this is obviously only valid when there is no heavy server load.

Not true.
    Eset is telling the eval-user the opposite.

Yes, you are grateful.
    Trial users not.
    BTW: before, you wrote that not-updating don't restrict the use or function of the software.
    With other words: why to be grateful?
    You are telling us, updating isn't important at allo_O

You are talking in contradictions.

Cheers:rolleyes:

12. NOD32 user

What I am saying "quit out of context" is that I think your quote from the help file does not relate to the issue
    We all wait in line - people only notice when there is a heavier than usual load. Normally nobody knows much if the update comes to them that same hour it is released or if it is a little later. Eventually all that really matters is that you get the update. So long as your licence - trial or full - is valid you get access to updates.
    It's not a secret that paid users get priority for updates. If you were saying 'Why is there no cleaning function in the trial?" then I would agree with you
    There is no need for me to repeat what I did say since everybody can read it already in my earlier post. Please do not mis-quote my posts any more - you've done it twice.

I'm not saying updating is not important. I'm saying that paid users get priority and that I'm glad.

The trial software does update. The trial version is only time restricted, that is all. If it did not have an update function then I would agree... The real purpose of trial version software is so that people can decide for themselves if they wish to buy it.

Clearly there is some misunderstanding here...

Really what should have been a nice informative post about lots of added signatures, probably many of which were for things already detected by one method or another has become something else. It's really not necessary for people to post crap.
    If somebody has got a related question then ask it please, otherwise for suggestions for improvements use the proper thread.

I would be happy if all the rubbish after Marcos most recent post in this thread were deleted as off topic really.

13. steve1955

If all the trial users,decided all of a sudden to become "paid for" users the load on the servers would stay at the same "too" high level,how would updates be prioritised then?
    This isn't the way things should be done server capacity should stay ahead of expected demand,I know this is off topic but Marcus brought this up first!

14. izi

izi Registered Member

15. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

What is in your eyes rubbish?

I assume, all posts except yours?
    Come on, don't try to supress opposition that don't fit you.
    I know you are a really Nod fan, and that's ok.
    But respect the opinion of other people too.
    Don't try to push your opinion by suggesting deleting posts.
    Wilders was always a democratic forum, anyway, some years ago when i decided to sign-in here at Wilders.
    Let's keep us this good habit.

BTW: NOD32 can only be a top-notch AV with a recent database, and IMO it's not acceptable or excusable to give certain users a database more the 1 month old with the argument: it are just eval-users, they must have the patience and tolerance to wait.
    This is against all security rules.
    We are here at a forum devoted to security, do you remember?

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

17. NOD32 user

Since Marcos has also said that new update servers are almost ready I guess the conversation about the need for something to be done is redundant isn't it - at the very least until we get to see what result that brings?

18. NOD32 user

It's not my deciscion what posts stay and go. It was merely expressing an opinion that many many posts in this thread seem to me to be completely off topic. Oppositions don't fit me but people are entitled to their own opinion. Yes, my posts as well no problem there
    Don't try and misdirect my intentions. As I said my posts too - rubbish = off topic. Have you opinion - you're entitled to it but maybe put it in the appropriate place :)
    Anybody think a vote should be taken on whether off topic posts should be removed?
    Really none is needed - the Mods will go ahead if they decide as is their given privilege. Either way I won't argue about it.
    Where are you getting this information from exactly - can you please quote your source that answered with 'it are just eval-users, they must have the patience and tolerance to wait.' when asked if it was 'acceptable or excusable to give certain users a database more the 1 month old' ?

19. steve1955

I said capacity should be ahead of expected demand!take it your blinkers stop you reading correctly!

20. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Isn't reduntant: f.e. take a look at this SANS article of today.
    Maybe with that article you get a bit more layered opinon about the importance of an up-to-date database, and that heuristics are nice but not always can and will protect you.

21. NOD32 user

My apologies really - I quoted your previous post but was referring to most of the posts in this thread about the need for something to be done.

Yes, good planning means preparing in advance.
    No, I don't think the planning for new servers started only yesterday.

22. alglove

alglove Registered Member

I think NOD32 user meant to say that this argument may soon be "moot", not "redundant". That is, once Eset finishes expanding their server capacity, there will be enough capacity for everybody (paid users and trial users, alike), so we will not have to deal with these issues again in the future.

At least, I hope that is what will happen.

23. NOD32 user

I agree being up to date is important.
    I do not suggest leaning only on heuristics. They are very good but nothing like a replacement for being up to date as well.

I guess in some part there's a disadvantage to those who may otherwise try and live on a trial (or several). It's a shame that this must also impact on those who would do the right thing - try it out and then make a deciscion.

The simple answer is, if you like the product go ahead and buy it. Paid subscribers get the best access.

24. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Yeah, well....it's always easier to spend OTHER PEOPLE's money ;)

Some people may be waiting for their trial to end....not only to be making a "better, more informed decision".....but also for financial considerations. $40 may not seem like much....but it's a cable bill for most folks. So then the decision becomes....."buy NOD early when I still had a few weeks evaluation time......or.....have my cable service interrupted"

Not as easy as just "buying early into a trial that is supposed to last 30 days, not 'a day or a week' "......

25. NOD32 user

I understand your point.
    In Australia the licence always runs to the last day of the month - the difference between now and later is so much smaller, so the question really doesn't enter my thinking.
    Of course in other places it's more of a consideration than it is here as you say and like most we want to get the maximum with our dollar possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.