Laptop as a Firewall Gateway Questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by GrammatonCleric, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

My laptop has two network cards with two plugs and I was thinking of using it as a IDS / Firewall.
    I know that there is a software firewall OS that I can load on the laptop that will include virus scanning / firewall etc functionality. I know it runs on Linux and is a dedicated IDS/Firewall OS.
    However I forgot what it's called. Can someone help me out with a reputable one?

Also can someone advise me on this network architecture configuration?
    I was planning on running this:
    Comcast Cable Modem to Lappy (acting as a firewall) then lappy to Linksys 54G DD-WRT acting as a WiFi bridge then two additional Linksys 54G's with DD-WRT or Tomato Firmware acting as repeaters so I can have strong signal per each floor of my house.

Currently I have the Linksys's configured and had them running fine for months however now my configuration is Comcast Cable Modem to the first Linksys and then the others as repeaters, I don't know how much issues would be throwing the laptop as the network filter. Would I experience routing issues? Mainly I want a good IDS / gateway with automatic viral filters that could act as the first line of anti-malware defense and using different AV engine before the malware hits the home desktops.

Thanks!

2. sparviero

sparviero Registered Member

3. GrammatonCleric

I recall there used to be a FREE for Home Use BSD or Linux based Firewall / Ad blocker and Anti-malware scanning gateway software that could be loaded as a single purpose OS on old PC.

However the company also sold lic for corporate users so it was well mantained. It's name escapes me and that's what I am trying to find. :(

4. GrammatonCleric

Is there a software package that I can run in Windows that will turn my old lappy into a Anti-Malware and firewall gateway?

5. sbcc

sbcc Guest

6. EternalFunction

EternalFunction Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.