Kudos to IFW-IFL-IFD

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by The Shadow, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Thanks aladdin/KOR.
    I had some family problems the last months and no free time left to go online.

If you have windows 7 you do not need "system restore explorer"; you can achieve the same if you select the partition, right click with the mouse and select "restore previous versions".

Panagiotis

2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Panagiotis,

Thanks for your comments - I'll give them a lot of thought ....I just have one more question:

How come you use Image For DOS/Linux/Windows and Keriver 1-Click Restore? o_O

TS

PS. I hope that your family matters are on the mend.

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

It is nice to know you are back and hopefully the family problems are over by now. You have our support!

Thanks for another great tip!

Best regards,

4. pandlouk

Thanks guys,
    unfortunately did not end well, since I lost my father last month, but as they say time heal the wounds.

I use them on different machines, Keriver 1-Click Restore on my netbook and IFW on everything else.
    I love 1CR because it's simplicity and IFW for its flexibility.

Panagiotis

5. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

My condolences. Having lost both my mother and father I know about the void in your heart. Time will heal the wound, but the memories will be with you forever.

I don't know if you use the free or paid version of K1CR, but when I last read about the free version (over a year ago) it modified the MBR, which may be looking for the same kind of trouble that RollBack can bring! :doubt:

TS

6. pandlouk

Thank you very much.
    Even though I have a license of the paid version (the developer kindly gave me one) I prefer the free version since I use it only for manually taken backups.
    This has changed with version 3
    Panagiotis

7. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Panagiotis:

Because of its simplicity I'm also considering 1CR as my imaging solution and have downloaded the free version. As a knowledgeable user, do you regard 1CR to be very reliable?

Cruise

8. aladdin

Dear Cruise,

It is reliable, but it takes over your bootmenu and installS Grubdos on it. Also, if your hard disk fails there is no way to recover it.

I prefer Macrium Reflect Free. If you have a fast download, then you can build a WinPE CD/DVD/USB/ISO.

Here is a link for Macrium Reflect Free:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

It is solid as rock!

Best regards,

9. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Hi aladdin,

Panagiotis pointed out (just a couple of posts above) that the latest version of 1CR has the ability to put the recovery console program on CD or USB flash drive instead of having to modify the MBR. ;)

Macrium Reflect Free doesn't allow incremental or differential images (which I would prefer having available).

Cruise

10. aladdin

Hi Cruise,

I believe, I was the one who insisted to Mr. KeRiver to include the ability not to modify the MBR. My memory is failing me now, but I believe he included this only in the PAID version. I might be wrong. I am trying to find this on this site.

Mr. KeRiver is a great person. I bought his PRO version for $10 from this site. This was the first imaging program I purchased, even though it was not yet ready for x64 version. Mr. KeRiver kept his promise and had the x64 version out on schedule. A true gentleman. He even allowed me to install it on all my 9 home computers, as it says on his site.

Then I uninstalled it on all 9 computers, as I purchased other imaging programs, requesting Mr. KeRiver to come out with a version which doesn't modify the MRB. He did come out with one. I haven't tried it yet. Maybe, I should try it again.

Keriver Image is the same program sold by HDS (the maker of Rollback Rx) as Drive Cloner.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=292919

Best regards,

11. pandlouk

Hi Cruise,

For it's full and differential backups is very reliable.
    For the incrementals I cannot say much (good or bad) because I have not thoroughly tested them; I do not trust much the incrementals, of any imaging app, since there are lots of parameters that can go wrong. If you keep them in low numbers (around 10) you should be fine.

Panagiotis

12. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Thanks for your recommendation, I'll be sure to give 1CR a good look along with some others. Because it's so very important, I don't even mind paying for a reliable image backup program, but the simpler the better - then I will have little excuse for not using it often! :p

Cruise

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.