Kubuntu 11.10 'Oneiric Ocelot' Review

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

This KDE feels so smooth, added the ppa for latest KDE and it flies on my dual Xeon machine like never before, I resisted the urge to update my trusty Kubuntu 10.04 on my main desktop but eventually succumbed. K3B is awesome as usual and so is Amarok. Nepomunk takes far less CPU spikes, MUON is way better and promising than Kpackage manager, overall this KDE edition is going to give traditional KDE champs like PCLOS, SUSE a good run for money.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

I agree, although it still has its quirks. Note, that I had that problem when I started muon - I didn't have it when I started muon-installer. Anyway, I wonder why they didn't integrate both variants.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Kubuntu 11.10 will be a nice replacement for Ubuntu 10.04.
    My gripes (very minor) at this stage are:-

I want a service menu editor as a base to add context menu entries reliably. Not much luck so far.

How do I add entries from /var/log to the system log file viewer ?

Otherwise very pleased so far - no bad things have occurred. :)

5. mack_guy911

i like kubuntu but what i still miss is yast and control center of mandriva if they add something like that its rocking.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  6. tlu

tlu Guest

Have you tried systemsettings? Well, it's not Yast but it's somehow similar to it, isn't it?

7. mack_guy911

yes it is sorry i never used it that detail before looks pretty basic .......yast/control center are pretty mature looks and easy to use but still not bad ;)

the only kde which i used are pclinuxos/opensuse so kubuntu is pretty new to me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.