KPF being discontinued

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mikel108, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

I know what you mean and I also know that I *could* stick with my faithful Sygate for quite some time.

Just personal choice really, Anti-Virus and Firewall software are the 2 most important tools on my machines, you need to find a good combination that you are happy with to use everyday and feel confident about.

I just feel more confident/happy using products that I know are supported and actively developed.

There WILL be a day when a patch or servicepack screws your old/stale firewall it might be 2 years away but I want to be using something that I know can be fixed without panicking at the last moment :)

Kaspersky Anti-Hacker, while not the best on leaktests is so far very impressive in light resources and nice easy clean interface. It can only get better now I hope...

Fedorov.

2. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

ye i am going to try kaspersky antihack hopefully it will be really good and improve alot in the future.

hopefully it will replace my firewall kerio.

3. Fedorov999

Chaos, let us know how you find antihacker please, initial impressions and stability after a few days use etc....

4. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

So what (good) firewalls are left now? :"(

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

plenty. theres netveda, look 'n' stop, 8 signs, chx. my favorite is outpost pro.

6. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Filseclab

7. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

It totally depends on what you are wanting in a firewall . For best protection from more than just hackers , Tiny and/or pcInternet Patrol . pcInternet Patrol tends to be expensive but , very good against many different threats . Tiny is a very difficult firewall to navigate for newbies . Outpost Pro is very good at what it does . look n Stop is a decent choice as well . 8 signs is nice to play with but , it lacks in protective abilities provided by the others I mentioned .

8. chaos16

i didn't really like antihack so much so i changed bak to kerio 4.2.

When a more stable version of kaspersky KIS comes available i think i will go to that one.

One i use kaspersky antivirus and another the firewall in kis is supposed to be diffrent and way better than antihack.

plus kis will have the same antivirus i use, a firewall better than antihack a antispyware a anti spam and i don't know wat else but i personaly think this internet security suite gives the best protection compared to all other internet security suites.

9. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

"There WILL be a day when a patch or servicepack screws your old/stale firewall it might be 2 years away but I want to be using something that I know can be fixed without panicking at the last moment"... end quote
    ...Thats probably how it will transpire in the end :D

10. M_S

M_S Registered Member

Will put in 2c: I had a reply from NOD32 support a few days back saying they are planning to release a firewalled edition in coming months...

11. WSFuser

u still have the email?

12. M_S

M_S Registered Member

I do, here's a quote:

"In the not too distant future, Eset will be offering our own firewall and spam filter to our customers. As far as I know, this should come bundled with version 3 of NOD32, as optional extras and I think it'll be at no extra cost, but I have no idea of the timing. My guess would be early 2006, but it's just a hunch. The devs are working on version 3 and a firewall and spam filter as I write."

13. Morpheus

Morpheus Registered Member

I made a similar move a few months back and never looked back. However since 4.1.3 was released I have had a few issues one of which KPF agreed was a bug according to a post on their forum but didn't have a timetable for a fix. Now we know why.

I don't particularly want to go back down the ZA route I switched from that years ago for Sygate but the current KPF path bug is quite annoying and whilst I would tolerate it if it was going to be fixed now iI will simply move on ASAP. My KAV license comes up for renewal soon so maybe I will look at KAH. As well as Outpost and Jetico.

Morpheus

14. Uroboros

Uroboros Registered Member

Hmmm..sounds good. Already use NOD32 so I'd definitely look into this now that Sygate has been bought by Norton.

15. Fedorov999

Well I keep coming back to Kaspersky Anti-Hacker again and again at the moment, think I'll buy their v6 security suite once it's out of beta as apparently it has an even better anti-hacker firewall.

Yesterday I tried:
    Look'n'Stop - amazingly light on resources, interface could be better, don't like the fact that the currently offered version requires you to apply 2 or 3 *beta* patches - there should be a single-install version with all these fixes ready to use immediately.

Mcafee, already responded in another thread, hate that Secruity Center that insistes on popping up before I can get to the firewall settings, and 4 or 5 running processes is too much bloat for me.

Netveda, again nice and light on resources but way too complex to get configured properly behind my NAT router, easy to tell it which my internet card is (nic) but that same nic card is also my LAN as well and it doesn't let me tell it that!!! Too hard to configure for most users.

Back to Anti-Hacker again, light, great easy interface, can only get better..... :)

Fedorov.

16. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Yes, McAffe is very complicated to install even the trial version. Must use IE and Active X to install.And uses much resources.

Netveda: I have also a NAT router, and it is impossible to separate internet and LAN on the sam nic. It's a pity.

I used Oupost, but as I got BSODs, I changed to see if Oupost is involved. I use the Filseclab firewall. I'm happy with it, and since 3 weeks I had no BSOD.

17. toploader

toploader Registered Member

if Vista includes a full and comprehensive firewall then there will be no need for a third party bolt on. could put a lot of third party firewalls on skid row.

spare a dime for an old firewall mister - sure buddy - you did good in your time but the unstoppable march of progress consigned you to the trash can of history.

18. chaos16

even if wondows vista has a firewall with inbound and outbound protection i doubt it that i would use it has Microsoft is well known for its bugg softwares plus i bet u watever that windows firewall would let some malaware in like there antispyware doesn't detect some malware in purpose.

i think i would stay with KIS (Kaspersky Internet security Suite)

19. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Sure there would because for one, I'm sure Vista's firewall isn't going to be nearly as feature rich as most other firewalls, on the market. Another good reason is pure lack of trust I have for Microsoft. They have proven time and time again, that they cannot write secure code. Vista's firewall will be one of the biggest target of hackers.

20. toploader

toploader Registered Member

A Giant step for mankind

now if i wuz MS having acquired Giant and relabeled it MSAS my next step would be to take over Kaspersky and relabel it MSAV/Firewall :D

MS has the bucks to buy up all the known universe

question - if kaspersky was acquired by microsoft would you switch to NOD/ZA?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  21. WSFuser

for me resource usage is priority so id stick with nod32.

22. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'm sticking with KPF 4.2 for the foreseeable future, other than when I get the crazed need to look at some new firewall offering.

My KPF app list doesn't show the bug, but for those systems that it shows up on, I think you're right. It will never be fixed now. For me, KPF has performed very nicely. No problems and no complaints here. I think kpf is good for another year or two and, like kerio 2.1.5, I hope someone develops rules for it and keeps it alive a few years longer. Better, I hope some other security software maker picks takes it and continues development. It's a great firewall.

23. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I concur. M$ disappointed me already in the most important softwares for internet :
    Internet Browser : I replaced MSIE6 with Firefox + extensions without any regrets.
    Email-software.. : I replaced MS Outlook 2000 with Thunderbird without any regrets.

Vista Firewall ? This time M$ won't disappoint me anymore and I certainly will install another Firewall.

M$ simply doesn't care and give their customers nothing but MEDIOCRE softwares, while M$ had more chances and more money than any other competing company and in spite of all that, M$ is still BEATEN by the competition in every possible way.
    M$ should die for shame to treat their paying customers this way. :mad:

24. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Mostly true, although despite the security patches, I find Windows XP to be a pretty good and stable operating system. I've never had a crash or freeze.

That said, as I think I mentioned in this thread or another here, I'm thinking very hard at switching to Apple for my next computer next year or a couple of years down the road. Unix OS (BSD) with the Apple GUI. You can't get much more secure or stable.

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Sygate is not really dead:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.