Known good files

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pfipps, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

Norton was the first company I know to exclude known good files from on-access scanning.
    Now, AVG has the same feature...why haven't other makers caught on to this...is there a security issue involved?
    I would at least like to have the option. I think Avast now has a similar setup.

Also, does MSE have anything similar? On my machine, the on access speed is best with Avast, then Avira, and then MSE.

2. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

You mean among the freebies right, coz MSE has one of the worst on-access scan speeds. Even heavyweights like Kaspersky and Norton do a better job. avast! blows everything out, yet to see a traditional AV have better on-access performance.

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Free AV;s that do this: Panda Cloud, AVG 9.0, Avast! 5 (possibly Avira)

Paid AV's: Norton, Kaspersky, Panda PRO are the ones that I know do this but more most likely do.

4. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Keep in mind that even if a product has such a feature, doesn't mean that it provides a lot of benefit. Because you only get a benefit if that company's know-good-file database is comprehensive enough to cover all the common files out in the wild. This is difficult for companies that have a low user-base.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Unless they use a cache systme like Avast or Kaspersky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.