KIS6.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, i gave my dad two options with security today.

option 1 nod32 with comodo
    option 2 KIS6.0

he does seem to like the idea of kis6.0 and doesnt seem to mind paying for it.
    he said why choose that other f-secure?
    I said it uses only two processes rather than 13 uses less cpu. has scan new and changed files only meaning you can have 10minute scans and can scan daily. I also said it only uses one engine and that way uses less resourse and is completely integrated with no conflicts. sure i have knida changed my opintion again but it has always been nod32 or kav or KIS6.0.
    KIS6.0 uses only two process light on resourse, one interface one icon in taskbar and very imformative. hey i should be a sales person for kaspersky what ya think?:D
    this would also mean i wouldnt put off scans because they wont take long woot! and that means more time on the pc lol.
    lodore

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

f-secure will and does give better protection than kaspersky, especially with normans deepguard technology which i found worked great.

but, out of the options you mentioned, KIS definatly over comodo and nod.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i agree with you but kaspersky uses less cpu and memory and i dont want my dad to see your post:D
    also i have found deepguard a nightmare with fullscreen apps. one game i use trys to load up but cant because f-secure is asking me if i want to allow it. so I press crl alt delete and try to bring the f-secure prompt up in front but cant and have to reboot.
    lodore

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes KIS does use less resources, but id personally prefer a better protection.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

have you forgotten proavtive defence?
    lodore

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

not at all... but KIS is not on the same level for security as f-secure.

7. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You do know that F-secure actually uses the Kaspersky engine don't you and i would really love to hear why it is so much better...since there has actually not been a test showing F-secure to perform better despite having.....is it three or four different engines?

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

true but f-secure has 5 engines.
    lodore

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it has better security due to more engines, kaspersky is just one engine in the f-secure suite.

10. Don Pelotas

Just one engine...:D What good is 2-3 or even 5 engines when it doesn't really detect more (besides bloat), it's not the engines that makes the detection that much better, it's the signatures and heuristics. The possible extra detection might have is more than gained by the proactive defense.

The bottomline is this: F-secure is not better than Kaspersky, the bottomline is that both a very good and anyone seeking an AV should use the one he/she likes the most.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

agreed don.
    If my dad agrees to buy kis6.0 i think me and you need a chat about the instructions of fully removing f-secure and installing kis6.0.
    the other thing that will help the deal is the great support from the forum. f-secure support takes a few days to reply and if its a conflict with another product rather than trying to add it to say a trusted zone they just say remove it all you need is f-secure which is complete bullshit i should have the right to use any security software i want along side it.
    lodore
    lodore

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lodore, sounds like your mind was made up before thread started.

and f-secure is better protection than KIS, dont care what you say :D

13. Don Pelotas

Then you do not know Lodore very well, he can't decide and have going back & forth for months between 3-4 AV's and tomorrow he have switched again, isn't that true Lodore? :p ;) :D
    Nope, don't matter how many times you write this! :D

14. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I'm buying KIS 6 in a couple of weeks, 2 years for the price of 1. :D

15. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

IMO KIS is better, since it is lighter than F-secure, also the PDM in MP1 rocks!!! Detects every keylogger I have tried plus much more. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

16. SirMalware

SirMalware Registered Member

I am a security professional, but I am also a student. (I'm always learning.) Teach me how F-Secure is better than KIS. Don't use emotion, use real facts. I want to see them.

17. gevin

gevin Registered Member

everyone have his own favour, that nothing wrong with it. if you find this piece of security ware suite you most, than just use it. don't believe everything other said, either from expert site test result or personal used experiance. use them as a guide or refence when you choose. and please do not give some false review when there are nothing to support your views, it is very misleading.

like buy a car, choose a car most fit your need. you choose it, use it, don't cry, 'But who and who said..."

18. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Same promotion in Hong Kong, buy 1 year of KIS for USD49.70 and get one year free. :D

19. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I purchased KAV 6 last week. so far I'm impressed and I learned a lot.

I did not realize that scans ZIP archives, but no other. NAV claims to scan about 1.2 million critters on my system. Do not know how they count/ KAN scanned about 2.6 mi;;ion critters. Most of the difference may be attributable to CAB files, but KAV does count each VBA project component as a separate scan. I suspect that added a few thousant to the count.

Also KAV actually scans PST files, not just incoming/outgoing email.

KAV has an "Office Guard". See my comments at http://www.standards.com/Index.html?OfficeStuffExamples.

Shoulda been

"I did not realize that NAV scans ZIP archives,"

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2006
  20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have KAV6 on one machine and F-Secure AV on the other. I prefer KAV as it is lighter, scans much faster, and every test I have seen gives them about equal detection rates. Most of the time if there is a difference it is on the side of KAV.

Show me some relatively independent tests that indicate F-Secure is better and I will accept it. Until then it is just an opinion not based upon evidence that is published.

Best,
    Jerry

21. btman

btman Registered Member

My votes for KIS

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if your decision isnt final yet, lodore, ill chip in my vote for KIS.

23. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I have a discount coupon code from Kaspersky.
    If you go to their website and enter it along with a purchase for 2 years it comes out to USD 69.96

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

correct Don:D

I have thought about what people have been saying about f-secure being more protective than kav but i have reasons why it is not.

ok f-secure uses the following engines
    kav
    ad aware
    norman sandbox
    and f-secure own heristics

first up is f-secure heristics, if you read the av-comparitves proavtive report you will notice f-secure and kaspersky have the same result I cant check the percentage right now because the site is down due to mantance typical.
    but what does this tell you?, this tells you f-secure's own heristics didnt ad any etra proactive detection to kav engine so mights as well throw it out the window.

ad aware this is what f-secure uses as its antispyware engine, as people have said recently this prodcut is going down the hill and has had its day hardly ever updates has quite a few fp's rather than e.g. kav which updates against all threats everyday 16-24 updates per day.

so now we down to two engines, kav engine and norman sandbox.
    how is that different from kav and proactive defence?
    so I have pretty much summed up that f-secure has many usesless engines that are just bloat and dont really block anything.
    so how many of those 13processes and 100mb of ram are useful?
    thats one question i dont have an anwser to.

plus when i once put f-secure to scan all files my pc wouldnt boot up and just hogged 100percent cpu trying to scan everyfile on bootime.

on the other hand if i put kav on my pc and set it to scan all files, th first logon would take time to scan them all and may take quite a bit of resourse but then it wont need to rescan them because of scan new and changed files only.
    I will be hoping for opintions on this...
    lodore

lodore

25. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

Don,

I dont know why you waste your time trying to justify KIS to C.S.J. (chrisjackson1985) this is the same guy who swore that Trend Micro was better in every way than KIS. Every post I ever see from him says that KIS is good but everything else is better, personally I think he has some bias against KIS.

Anyway in the answer to the original question KIS is the best product I have ever used on my machine. NOD32 for whatever reason seems to have a conflict with musicmatch software and anytime it does a scan it sends CPU usage up to 100%

Billy S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.