KIS2006

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by manzz, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manzz

manzz Registered Member

AVP.exe (kis2006 main module) is being given internal rules (user cannot block/apply rules to this app) and was concerned about this.

Anyone any thoughts/comments on KL doing this?

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Since KAV/KIS2006 are in pre-beta, any comments about them are best directed to the Kaspersky Beta Testing Forum.

3. manzz

manzz Registered Member

KIS2006 has been released to the public (from many public sites), this then should be open to public debate.

4. SSK_offline

SSK_offline Guest

The 2006 line of Kaspersky products is NOT in official BETA state yet. Concentrating the discussion with the developers on the KAspersky forum makes a lot more sense then doing some discussion on a forum that has no connection with Kaspersky :)

5. cantroler

cantroler Guest

I don't understand what you are saying. My KIS has an add button and then from there you can select either browse or application and when I select AVP
    the normal rules windows comes up.

6. manzz

manzz Registered Member

7. manzz

manzz Registered Member

Then Kis/kav 2006 should not be public.(which it is)

8. cantroler

cantroler Guest

ok I see what you are saying now. It is a public pre-beta LOL
    I shall go look at the KAV Forum then too.

cantroler

9. Paranoid2000

It isn't officially - it is not listed on Kaspersky's Beta Page and to access a copy you have to search in their forum to find the link which requires a password.

The fact that other sites have chosen to mirror this should have no reflection on its status - and given the problems past builds have had for some users, they have no business doing so (at least, not without big warnings about the dangers of running pre-betas).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  10. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

I agree with Paranoid.

11. manzz

manzz Registered Member

NO password is required, I downloaded this and installed via a mirror, no warning of this being a pre-beta.
    This should of been a closed pre-beta (as was outpost), but if this pgm is so easily accesable and installed by the public, then as I have allready stated, it should be open to public comment.
    This is not just a devolopment issue, this is allso a question of security.

This is my last word on this, has I have no intention of installing this product (as is) The full beta is/was set to be released in 4 days.

12. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

The links do not require a password. Currently KIS/KAV 2006 is in pre-beta testing that is open to anyone who would like to try it. Beta(not pre) is scheduled to start November 1st. The current .222a version is a beta candidate.

13. Paranoid2000

If they link back to Kaspersky's FTP site then they certainly do - however it is possible to include the username/password in such links.

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If you look closely at the links, they do have the format ftp://username:password@data.kaspsersky.ru.

Blue

15. Chuck_IV

Ok, yes it does have a password, my bad. Since the PW is included in every link they have ever given, I did not notice it.

16. Paranoid2000

It is very easy to overlook. [shameless_plug] However if you use Opera, it will prompt you over such links giving the username and site - this is great for countering phishing sites that pass themselves off as http://this_is_a_real_bank_honest@give_us_your_money.com... [/shameless_plug]

17. manzz

manzz Registered Member

I reply due to the fact that this matter (it appears) is now resolved.
    But I do believe a new thread could be started in respect of "when is a password not a password"

By the way Paranoid2000 what is this "[shameless_plug]", is this some sort of ridicule attempt at "Chuck_IV" or myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2005
  18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No, he just likes Opera.

19. manzz

manzz Registered Member

@The Hammer
    Ah,right.......I`m on the same page.

Regards

20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

:eek: Why would you want to be using Outpost with Kaspersky Internet Suite? Wouldn't that conflict? I would understand KAV + Outpost, but not KIS + Outpost. At least not in the pre-beta stages when anything can go wrong. :D

dja2k

21. Chuck_IV

KIS2006 is not like other suites where everything gets installed, no matter what but is just turned off if you don;t want it running(thus having the potential to get in the way of other things). With KIS2006, you can pick and choose which pieces of it you want to install and only those pieces get installed.

I'm currently running KIS with only the AV and the Antispam modules installed(leaving out the Antihacker firewall and the AntiSpy pieces), along with Outpost 3. This works great for me as the antispam is only part of KIS2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.