KIS2006 prototype 2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tahoma, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Some screenshots. Custom Install.

Attached Files:

3. Blackcat

Main GUI.

Attached Files:

4. Blackcat

ProActive Defense, which includes an Application Guard and a Registry Guard.

Attached Files:

5. Blackcat

Application Guard now includes rootkit detection.

Attached Files:

6. Blackcat

Anti-Spy detection.

Attached Files:

7. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

i seem unable to download an installer that isnt corrupted :(

8. Blackcat

Very early days so far, but it seems less stable and heavier than the previous prototype on this computer.

According to Kaspersky, it is apparently more unstable on Windows non-NT systems and the general warning on using this pre-beta on critical systems is emphasized.

9. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

good new that ADS and whatver they used in kis proto1 (that messed up the security discriptors) is completely gone.
    quote: "No hidden traps now. We dropped attempts to play with MS file system extensions. Introduced iSwift technology uses our own database"

10. Blackcat

Update Window, nice and clear.

Attached Files:

11. Blackcat

Whatever this is o_O

12. .....

..... Registered Member

I would guess the iSwift some kind of "database" sysytem stored in a central location. Storing details of location.. hash etc.

Resource usage seems similar to me. More testing needed...

13. waters

waters Registered Member

This one seems to slow syseem down slightly,other one did not

14. fun.cat

fun.cat Registered Member

Hi! Can you try to disable Anti-Hacker and Proactive Defence to make sure it is File Anti-Virus?

15. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I have just loaded it up and its running nicely. I do not have any other AT/AV/ firewall software loaded at all. Just process guard.
    However the day is young :)

16. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

is it only me that prefers the minimalism of drweb to this kind of nortonesque skin approach ?

17. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Just you ;)

I honestly could care less. As long as it's easy to use and configure... doesn't matter.

18. Tester2_5

Tester2_5 Guest

How is the resource usage (purely performace hit - not really interested in ram) compared to the first prototype or Nod beta?

(I know that this was already stated, but are there any other opinions?)

19. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

You aren't alone... The lighter, more refined, and spartan a product is, the better it works for me.. I hate bloat. As such, I enjoy Dr.Web immensley.

20. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Will try it soon. Prototype 1 was fast with some features missing. Pretty stable for me. I liked it.

Will have to wait since I'm running NOD 2.5 Beta and Outpost firewall. Both are running like butta'!
    :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2005
  21. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

Does anyone know the details of the new Pro-active defenses. Similarities or dissimilarities to ProcessGuard, RegDefend, Prevx?

Thanks.

Rich

22. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Dunno if this helps much..

23. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Namor. Maybe as some beta users deploy, they might provide more specifics. On the surface, it looks like they are going to monitor the registry and applications, but it is not clear how this will function and at what level. I am sure there will be more discussion as time goes on. Thanks for the help.

Rich

24. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Rich

As Blackcat writes, it's still very early days for Kav 6. It does run a little heavier on my pc than the first prototype, but it's not even beta yet and with this in mind i do think that it better than some other betas that i've had on my pc.

The few quirks that i've seen so far is occational freezing and it doesn't like Ewido's on-demand scanner very much, but only in the beginning of a scan where it's at a virtual standstill for a couple of minutes and then all of a sudden it jumps up races of with normal scanspeed.

The speed of the on-demand scan is good, 8m10sec for 84000 files, the fastest i've scanned with 5.0, is 6m50sec for the same amount of files (using max-protection), pretty good for a prototype.

The real-time scanner is so far where i've hit some trouble as i've already said, it seems to does freeze for a moment once in a while, not for long, but long enough to make you want to disable it when having several things opened at the same time, surfing is also a little affected with the occational freezing, sounds worse than it is though.

As for Proactive Defense, it has alerted once me in the 24 hours since i installed it, i deemed it to be okay ;) (see screenshot), but nice to see that it does indeed react to something trying to modify.

It's really early days, but it seems to me that the developers are genuinely interested in discussing & impleting ideas from the users and i would encourage you, Rich and others with an interest in this to visit the beta-section of the new Kaspersky forum and give your two cents, it seems to be one of your interests and an area where you could influence things with the experiences that you have with RegDefend & Prevx, others have already asked for one of the options that RegDefend has (import/export RegGuard entries). :)

Attached Files:

• fs.png
      fs.png
      File size:
      7.5 KB
      Views:
  25. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Don,

Thanks a lot for the info. I am following all of the discussions, and will be happy yo join in when I have something to add. It seems like Version 6 is going to have lots of benefits for users, to I am really looking forward to it. Even if there is some redundant over overlap with ProcessGuard and RegDefend (my two favorites along with KAV 4.5), it would still be very worthwhile for me, since I have found that two lines of defense to be a very good strategy as long as the progams get along with each other. So far KAV 4.5, PG, and RegDefend are behaving very well and have kept my systems very clean.

Thanks again for the feedback. Cya around,
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.