KIS Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hezakiah, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

Hey everyone, i'm currently using KIS6 but even before that with other firewalls, my ports have only been closed NOT stealthed at Gibsons. I have noticed when i had cable internet, i was always stealthed. But last year i moved and had to switch to DSL. and since then no matter what firewall i had going i could only get closed ports, never stealthed. Is there something about DSL that you can only get closed ports?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

does ur modem/router have a firewall? if so, try seeing if it has a stealth setting and turn it on.

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there

I found the same thing which in my case was due to Skype acting as a server (which it does not appear to need to do to be used). Do you have any programs that might be doing that?

The way I tracked this all down was to note which ports ShieldsUp indicated where open/not stealthed and then checked using KIS's Network Monitor; right click the system tray icon and select it from there and use the Open Ports tab to see if you can relate those ports displayed to those that are open/not stealthed. You should see a program associated with any such matches and yo should then be able to investigate whether they are acting as servers or not.

What I did in the case of Skype was to set up rules, in Anto Hacker, specifically for Skype only to block UDP & TCP inbound streams for the ports in question; in my case 43, 80 & 1043.

I am not saying that this is the cause of your issue but it certainly sorted out mine. I would also say that you do need to explore all possible avenues to make sure that any solution you do implement is the right one as a badly implemented solution can be worse than none at all...due to giving you a false sense of security.

Hope that this helps:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.