KIS 6 or Norton IS 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sjoeii, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Sorry, but with my experience I must recommend anything but NIS and here's why: The firewall commonly breaks all internet connectivity and I have yet to find a way to repair this. Disabling the firewall, repair winsock entries and uninstalling Norton even. Normally it requires me using their "deep uninstaller" SymNRT to get connectivity running again which is very awkward to me.

Windows Updates are also commonly "broken", sometimes it's just the BITS service or re-registering the required .DLL files but more often than not, I have not been able to repair these woes, if anyone can offer insight in this matter I'd be most appreciative, but have spoken with Microsoft reps who have confirmed it to be Norton issues. I have been told if after doing the above along with a system file checker and a repair install, the only repair method is to format and start over unfortunately..

My workplace is a Norton retailer and it's all we sell, I'd love to give a good review and recommend the product but with all of the trouble the line causes, I can't say that's possible.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

If you believe that is malware, then why not submit it to newvirus@kaspersky.com and see what they say?

In any case, as dawgg points out, the Proactive Defense Module does help in this instance so KIS does alert on it.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

You have just show me how an AV should be tested o_O

4. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

that's not actual malware, i's just some crappy test made by a software company to test their own product. unlike eicar othetr companies don't have to detect it.
    still this might be blocked by hips or behaviour blockers, the registry guard in kav for instance catches it.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's interestting to see the stats at VirusTotal for this one.

The zip file generates results from 16 of the 30 scanners.
    TrojanSimulator.exe gives 15 detections.
    TSServ.exe is detected by 14 of the scanners.

6. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

believe me, its not! ;)

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

There is one thing with my NIS 2007 which I'm puzzled about o_O Yesterday morning it said I have 720 days left in my Subscription, by yesterday evening about 5 pm it said I have 719 days, and this morning it says I have 718 days :blink: am I in a time warp or something, because its not been 48 hours since yesterday? Today is Tuesday right? :blink:

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It's the time according to Symantec :D One more reason to choose KIS :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.