KIS 2012 - Public Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DonKid, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well the beta stage completed pretty swiftly.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Not as quickly as last year. And it is a much better product this year. :thumb:

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

No TR and RC coming?

4. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Build 374 is the TR i gues and if there are no critical bugs found in 374 it will be the RC

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I wonder if beta testing of this version will continue 6 months after release like last two products(2010 and 2011):-Kaspersky labs do seem not to know what the terms beta testing and commercial release mean,well they haven't for last few years

6. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Anyone know if the KIS IS 2012 beta is stable enough to use as a standard security suite with version 12.0.0.374 out? I'm keen to try it out.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Initially it seemed light but then I was seeing a constant 50% CPU usage.

But systems differ so may be worth a shot if you have a snapshot/image ready.

8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Using KIS this build on my main machine rite now..running smooth and very light...best KIS in years

9. Duradel

Installed it and its running like a rocket. Extremely light on CPU usage plus memory (avp.exe uses about 32mb of RAM) and the new interface is totally awesome. Time will tell if there are any flaws with the new version but it seems like a vastly superior product compared to KIS 2011 even at this stage.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

KIS 2012 is rock solid, err, at least that is what I am told.:'(

It may just be one of the best suites turned out today, and that includes all of them. It is just that good.:thumb:

11. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

It is. But! There are no guarantees that critical bugs or vulnerabilities can be discovered, and if that happens, there is no support for product not yet released. So, unless you know what you're doing, it's not usually (never, in fact) recommended that you install a product that digs itself as deep inside the systems critical areas as a security suite does on your main PC.

12. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

13. Duradel

Good point. Have gone back to using KIS 2011 until a release candidate is chosen but KIS 2012 does look impressive.

14. Blackcat

15. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

I think this a known issue for only few of the people, but others are happy with the performance. They are working on it.

16. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Could you specify if it was after 2 hours or later?
    It's probably a lovely old issue originating from 2011, if my assumptions are correct.

17. Blackcat

After 2 hours; probably 4-5 hours after a fresh install. Seemed to start after I closed a browsing session. One reboot and a full scan during this time.

18. 3x0gR13N

KAV or KIS?

The potential culprit that I have in mind is a feature which rescans applications listed in Application control/HIPS every X minutes; which you cannot disable by normal means (i.e via UI; or probably even by modifying some registry keys/files) and which runs regardless of whether HIPS is enabled or disabled.
    In 2011 it was set to rescan every 15 minutes, in 2012 it was changed to 120mins (2hrs) from the looks of it (a .xml file in AVP folder contains the details- you could probably make a workaround for the issue by modifying the .xml but I can't be sure if the .xml controls the rescan feature or if there's something else controlling it).
    On some systems that rescan sometimes ends up in a "infinite" loop causing the excessive CPU usage without apparent reason (there are no advanced logs being created in reports about KIS scanning anything, FileAV, WebAV etc.)
    The problem was predominant in v2011 CF1 where users would experience the high CPU usage ~15 after bootup or sometimes 30 mins. (as it was on a 15 min interval in 2011). The problem had diminished in CF2, but was still present.

They have promised to fix the issue in 2012 before the beta even began, so lets see if they'll stay true to their word. :rolleyes:
    I don't expect this to be helpful to anyone, but FWIW... :)

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  19. Blackcat

KIS

Interesting; a lot of hard detective work there ;)

Uninstalled for now.

I receive 3 free licenses through my bank and generally I wanted to check it out for my kid's machines.

Will check any new versions.

20. 3x0gR13N

You'd be surprised how much info on workarounds or some inner workings of KIS can be obtained from reading the Russian section of the KL forum... lot's of detectives there. :D

Hopefully it will be fixed in the first release instead of the traditional "wait until CFx" :rolleyes:
    (Admittedly, I never had experienced that issue to such extent, even in 2011)

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  21. Duradel

22. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

23. Duradel

Thanks just registered then.

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Beta testing is constant. Once the final is released they start testing for CF1 and so on. I find it a good thing that they let the public test each build before it is released.

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Where can I download the beta to test it guys?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.