KIS 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I gave KIS a try yesterday and it did not last long on my laptop. I left all the settings as defaults and ran a full scan. It identified a Trojan and the report showed it as disinfected and then deleted. Not only was this a false positive but KIS failed to make a backup of the file before it deleted it. There may be a setting somewhere to enable the quarantine but that should be a default. I had just done an image backup so nothing was lost but this is potentially a big problem.

2. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Deleted threats are backed up.
    You suppose to open Kaspersky, click Quarantine at the top and select "All" on the drop-down list on the top left.

And yes, backing up deleted items is enabled by default of-course, I think the maximum size of backed up files was around 1gb.

3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

When I clicked on quarantine and selected all nothing was listed...no backup was made.

I'll boot back into the snapshot with KIS installed and see if the quarantine function is enabled.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Maximum Quarantine/Backup size is 100 MB by default.

5. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Ahh, thanks for correcting me!

6. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I see the default Quarantine/Backup size is 100 MB. The file deleted by KIS is only 5.26KB. No sign of it in the quarantine tab...very strange.

7. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

I've seen a bug in V2011 where KIS sometimes really doesn't keep backups of deleted files. Had that once too with a FP, was quite annoying. The deleted file wasn't listed in Detected threats -> all (nor in quarantine), but it was shown in the reports as deleted.

8. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I restored the file KIS deleted from a backup and KIS immediately identified it as a trojan and deleted it. Like you said, it showed up in the reports as deleted but was not backed up/quarantined. That is a headache I don't need!

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Kaspersky Virus Removal tool aka AVP tool v2011 is available for beta testing.
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=199410

10. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

I have left all but a few setting at default but am curious if the little widget on the windows screen is needed? Also Kaspesky turned off the windows firewall and in the control panel it shows that. But when looking at services running, windows firewall is still running. Is that normal or should is it safe to end that?
    Another option I am curious about is the IM scanner and the link filter that is on the toolbar in firefox. I dont use any IM programs unless chat windows are covered in that setting. As far as the link scanner, I use WOT so I dont think its of use and has never stopped anything because WOT gets it first. so are those able to be turned off?

11. Rampastein

It's not, you can remove it if you want.
    Seems to be normal as I have the same (assuming you mean the "Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing" service).
    Yes, you won't lose any protection if you turn those off IM-AV and the link scanner. I also got the link scanner disabled. It won't ever block anything which the Web Anti-Virus component wouldn't block anyway.

12. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it.

13. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

my kaspersky internet security have stop update :(

last update was 2011-03-19 09:48:00

should it be 1 update per day?

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Wich is todays date, considering it's Saturday updates tend to come out less often on the weekends. But if you haven't got a new update by tomorrow then maybe something is wrong, but wait until tomorrow and see.

15. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

i did reboot pc and now i got an update i did see that they did drop 6 updates today and i did need rebot to get my

http://www.kaspersky.com/viruswatch3 << here u can see all updates every day

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Good, problems solved then :thumb:

17. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Back to using Kaspersky IS 2011 after swapping around a few AV's. Any word on when a stable version of 2012 might be available to try?

18. Rampastein

I've read from the Fanclub forums that TR will be ready by the end of April, but I haven't seen any confirmed official information (and the actual release will be much later).

19. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

There will be no official confirmation of the date of the TR until they actually release it. If previous years are any indication it likely will be done by the end of April and the final will be done and available in June.

20. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Sorry but what is TR? does it means "the release" ? thanks.

21. LittleM

LittleM Registered Member

TR means technical release and should be stable enough for anyone to try.

22. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.