KIS 2010

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quanzi_1507, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

Did you install it over v2009, try to do fresh install(Uninstall everything install a fresh copy of the build of 459)

2. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Clean install. It's a tiny bit faster than the last version, but I still get an annoying pause. Could I change any setting?

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

9.0.0.459 is the final see topic below
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=117824

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

yes true lodore but they didnt put that final release to thier site kaspersky.com yet.........

but still thanks.....

:D

6. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

1. The vulnerability scanner is just on-demand, it doesn't monitor which application was updated and which wasn't in real-time.
    2. Exploits, drive-by downloads and all threats which use Web/HTTP(...) protocol are scanned by the WebAV. Heuristics are applied in addition to the standard database of malware signatures and a DB of known bad sites (site blacklist) and Phishing sites DB (Anti-phishing is now incorporated in WebAV).
    An example of heuristics detecting an exploit (via WebAV):
    Heur.Exploit.png
    In addition to WebAV, a plugin is used to mark all bad sites in search engines and other sites. It doesn't mark good sites as good (you can never know that for certain), only marks known bad sites and displays details about the site (when you hower on the red triangle).
    An example (very nasty site btw :p):
    URLCheck stats.png
    Removable drives scan has been implemented in 2010, so you will be prompted to scan or not to scan the removable drive you inserted (or, if you configure it, to automatically scan the drive).
    Example:
    USBScan.png
    AVZ tools are used to determine if system settings need to be adjusted for better security, like disabling autorun, enabling Taskmanager, regedit. etc.

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Thanks.

1. Is this planned for the future as it's lacking functionality found in Secunia PSI in that case? Now, I don't mean system and IE vulnerabilities, cause that would just cause prompts for things that users don't necessarily want to set, but software, just like the original program.

2. Is that heuristical detection blocked automatically in Automatic Mode?

Also, do I need KIS for that search shield and does that provide any additional protection?

Last, but not least, even if probably not needed - thanks to what Kaspersky provides alone - AVG LinkScanner either conflicts or simply doesn't work with KAV and probably KIS too. I didn't get any warning when installing KAV, but is this known? I was unable to load pages - it would just be like "finished", but the page is still blank. Also, even if most core-processes seemed to be running, it wouldn't show up in the tray (AVG, that's).

8. 3x0gR13N

There were some discussions about similar functionality during v8 betas, but I don't know if it's going to get implemented. Maybe yes, maybe no... just have to wait and see. ;)
    Yes.
    KAV has it as well. The plugin doesn't provide additional protection but only extended information and sort of a pre-warning when surfing. It uses the same DB of known bad sites as WebAV does, so it's getting blocked either way.
    I havent tried AVG LS, so I can't comment on potential conflicts. There weren't any bugreports about the issue you mentioned, either because no one using AVG LS experienced the issue or just that no one was using it. Will try later and see if there are conflicts on my machine.

9. raven211

Thank you.

1. Yeah, otherwise I dunno, cause I won't run scans myself (or schedule them) - real-time is what I and is needed to keep myself and others safe IMO. Otherwise you know if there are vulnerable software only the next time a scan is run. ;)

Where can I find that plugin? Is it somewhere in the main-window, or in IE for example?

Will the plugin support or does it support Opera (in the future)?

10. 3x0gR13N

Both in WebAV settings and browser window.
    Probably in the future...

11. raven211

The option "Do not delete suspicious objects", does that result in a quarantine action, or is the user prompted? I would suppose it doesn't prompt, refering to what you answered on the heuristical detection, but I just wanna know. :)

12. 3x0gR13N

Yup ;) Suspicious objects include for ex. keylogger detection based on behavior. Depending on precision, the application with such behavior will be terminated but not removed. I suggest to leave that option enabled, as it is by default.
    BTW, even if something is deleted you can restore it... ;) (just a fail-safe)
    Difference is you can add a non-detected file to Quarantine and sent it for analysis, and objects in Quarantine will be re-checked upon update.

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

At the bottom right of the main GUI in KIS 2010, there's what I describe as a radar/sonar looking screen, with the headings, Total Scanned, and Threats Detected. So far, after installing KIS 2010 last night, it shows Total Scanned: 149727, Treats Detected: 0. Is that the real time scanner working?

14. 3x0gR13N

Yes. :)

15. raven211

Weird... it says threats detected is two, and all it shows is one malicious tool, and it's the same in the report. o_O

16. 3x0gR13N

Had any network attacks?

17. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

This happened without any notifications?

18. Graystoke

Thanks 3x0gR13N. I figured that's what that was, but wanted to make sure. :)

19. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have had KIS 2010 running most of the day. It either needs some fine tuning or just does not like my setup. I am getting slowdowns opening apps and loading web pages.

20. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

Still lightning quick for me, it may indeed not like your setup.

Pages load nearly instantly.. can't even tell that the web antivirus is on... let alone on max settings

21. Marcelo

Marcelo Registered Member

I have to agree that the RC version is quite fast. I barely feel it running and the slowdown problem I had whenever KIS was updating is gone.

I recommend to those who are experiencing problems to perform a clean install. KIS doesn't seem to like to install as an update. The installer just stopped working when I tried. The clean install, on the other hand, was fast and didn't even require a reboot.

22. thathagat

thathagat Guest

two questions
    1.it did not ask for a restart....is that okay?
    2.i have my key file that i converted from the code some time back....but now there is no provision to activate it with a key file like 2009?

23. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

The reboot is no longer required during installation, so that is indeed normal.

As for activation using a key file.. there's a way to do it, because I saw something about it on the Kaspersky beta forum.... having trouble finding it now... as I was going to point you in that direction if I could find it again.

24. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Unfortunately, the KIS web scanner has always slowed me down, and this one is no different. Yes, I've even tried it on fresh operating systems. So I know it is KIS.

25. Graystoke

No web page loading slow downs here. This new KIS is very quick. Fast full system scans also.

Looks like it runs a rootkit scan periodically on its own. I don't see anything in settings where you can setup a rootkit scheduled scan. Three are listed in the log. One yesterday, and two today. The strange thing is with the two today, both were listed occurring nine hours ago. How can two rootkit scans happen at the same time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.