KIS 2010 - Features ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JosephB, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

....Can a KIS 2010 User answer below questions for me ?

I
    am considering trying out KIS 2010. I have quickly browsed thru the user manual posted on the kaspersky support site, but I am just not sure about two feature items of KIS 2010, since the "User Manual" documentation does *not* have screen pictures in it.

Therefore, my basic Questions about KIS 2010 are:

1. When both the HIPS and Firewall components issue an Alert, does the Alert appear as a Windows Form/screen Alert box appearing in the middle of your PC's Screen or do the Alert Screen/Boxes only appear directly above the Win XP System Tray, in the form of a "Slider Up" - Notification Window" ?

..... If it appears by defualt as a "Slider - Alert Screen/window above the Win XP System Tray area, is there a configuration option to, either:

A) Get the Alert Box/Window to instead Appear in the Center of your screen automatically ?

B) Or at least, is it possibile to drag the Alert Screen displayed above the System Tray to the Center of the screen for easier viewing ?

2. Does the KIS 2010 System Tray Icon provide the options to easily switch between temporarily, Disabling and Enabling of Both:

A) Individually the (3) Real-time AV Components of "File - Anti-Virus", "Web - Anti-Virus", " and Mail - Anti-Virus" ?

B) The Firewall ?

... Thanks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

1 The alert box appears above the system tray area. I don't believe that it is an option to appear automatic. you can drag it to the center though. 2. The only option that it gives you is to disable protection for a determined amount of time.

3. JosephB

kjdemuth,

1. So, then with Systray Icon;
    .... What is the max. time that you can disable KIS for ?
    .... Does it give a choice of fixed times or can you specify disable for any number of mins or any numbers of hrs ?

2. So, just to confirm, your saying that with Sys Tray Icon .... they all have to be disabled together ?

4. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

hi.....alerts appears above the system tray area and are fairly visible :p .As for pausing protection look at the screenies...
    btw i use black theme though

Attached Files:

5. JosephB

...kjdemuth, kasperking ..... Thanks

kasperking,

1. So, what if you just wanted to temporarily "pause" the protection (or disable) just the "AV Realtime - File scan" component, but sill have the Firewall Enbaled to protect inbound (and outbound) ?
    ... No way to do it from the system tray or other way, at all ?

2. Have you gotton use to Alerts appearing above system tray, instead of centered in the middle of Win Desktop ?
    ....What is rational, do you think, for kaspersky not centering alert messages on Win Dekstop, but instead hvering them above system tray ?

6. kasperking

well.......personally i don't mind the positioning of the pop up as long as it is visible and conveys/does what its suppose to.Also kis plays a hard to miss sound :ouch: on finding a threat.As for disabling av part that can be done through settings...accessed through sys tray...

Attached Files:

7. JosephB

kasperking,

So, I am confused from your snapshot:

Do you always get 2 Alert boxes, even for all Firewall Alerts (e.g Untrusted Applications accessing the Internet, etc.)

===> One Alert Box positioned in the center of the screen and One Alert Box above the System Tray ?

8. kasperking

no

the one in the middle was kis web shield blocking access to web page its only in browser

the pop up was the usual kis pop up on sys tray...it has diff colours according to threats/notifications.

9. JosephB

kasperking,

Thanks for info !

10. JosephB

kasperking, kjdemuth

Just one more question, about KIS 2010, before trying it, to know ahead of time if it will meet my needs ....

If you go into Settings and either "Disable" - File AntiVirus, Web AntiVirus -OR- Mail AntiVirus .... will a KIS Icon in the System Tray either changes its color or image shape to remind you that you Disabled one of these (3) protective features ?

11. kasperking

yes......

Attached Files:

12. delah

delah Registered Member

Use 'Skin Friday 3.08a' and the tray icon will give option to disable any module of KIS.

Download here:
    Kaspersky Fan Club

kis_skin.jpg

13. kasperking

yeah...excellent theme...only hitch is that the pop ups take an eternity to vanish :p maybe its just my pc

14. JosephB

kasperking,

Perfect, just the answer I was hoping for !

delah,

Great ! Just the other feature that I wanted it to have !

Questions:

1. Does this Skin only change the SysTray - KIS Icon's right click popup menus or does it also change the color of all the KIS 2010 screens and what else does it change (if it does) ?

2. Also, What is approx. the average size download of a KIS 2010 -Definition Update Download ?

3. What frequency interval does the KIS 2010 - "Defintion Update" usually auto download at ... every 6 hrs, every 4 hrs, every 2 hrs, etc. ??

P.S. I am leaning towards going ahead and trialing KIS 2010, most likely next week, after tax time is over.

15. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

1. The skin changes the entire GUI. Pretty sure it also provides additional options like Rootkit Scan as well (haven't tried this particular skin but most do).

2. It varies, sometimes it's a couple/few hundred KB, sometimes it's a MB or more. All depends on how many signatures are in the update and how long it's been since you had your PC on for it to be able to download updates.

3. I believe it automatically checks every hour for updates and I'd say I get an update every 3 hours on average.

16. JosephB

I like what I have learned about KIS 2010 !

I am going to go ahead and trial Kaspersky next week !
    .... However, I am now confused as to whether to trial KIS 2010 or Pure ?

Questions:

... I do not have home networked pc's, at this point. Only 1 home pc currently. So, ......

1. Will Pure work if you don't have any networked home pc's and you just use it on (1) standalone Home PC ?

2. If Pure will also work on just 1 standalone home pc, is there any advanatge to using Pure over KIS 2010 ?

... A) Beside networking fetaures are any of the non-networking features changed or enhanced, over the corressponding feature in KIS 2010 ?

... B) Are there any new non-networking features vs those found in KIS 2010 ?

... C) Is the GUI interface screens significantly different ? Are there screenshots of the new Pure Screens any where ?

3. Will there be a KIS 2011 or will users need to migrate to Pure, in the near future ?

17. ALookingInView

1. Yes.
    2. PURE has Backup, Encryption, enhanced Parental Controls, a Password Manager, etc. Aside from the sexy interface it's just KIS 2010 with these additional features.
    3. KIS 2011 is set to begin beta testing very soon. It's rumored to have features that even PURE doesn't have (a more advanced HIPS, x64 native application for those running 64-bit Windows, etc.)... I can't confirm this yet though.

There's a PURE thread here that has a few screenshots. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=268499

I chose KIS 2010. KIS 2011 is just around the corner and should have some improvements, whereas PURE is built on year old technology and probably won't be updated significantly for a little while (seeing as though it was just released 2 weeks ago).
    As with most vendors you can upgrade to KIS 2011 at no charge, with a valid license of course.

18. JosephB

ALIV,

Thanks, very informative!
    I will be trialing kis 2010 for sure now.

19. ALookingInView

:thumb:

20. delah

delah Registered Member

I agree, takes a few more seconds to disappear than standard gui skin

21. delah

delah Registered Member

I've been thinking this over since PURE was released but I agree with you - I will 95% stick with KIS, as you said 2011 is not far away and if it improves x64 support cos I will be moving my main desktop to that soon and the very good already HIPS then that'll do me.
    Only rumour I heard that I don't like is that Kaspersky may take away the custom install option - do not like that at all if it's true.

I was tempted by the Password Manager and network control centre that PURE has as I have a 3pc licence - I use Lastpass for password management and it has served me well (and it's free) but does not play well with diff. browsers open at same time (can only log in one broswer at a time AFAIK), but i can buy the Kaspersky Password Manager seperately - actually does anyone know if it integrates into KIS or runs seperately if bought seperately?

I've had KIS since v7 and despite the odd time switching off certain modules and trying out different vendors, I come back to it within a matter of weeks for full protection, especially now that I've got my hands dirty and customised every part of it to my needs. It is not for the faint-hearted but is worth it especially if you can get any deals

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  22. sunoracle

sunoracle Registered Member

I thought that MS was encouraging vendors to put alerts above the tray? Most of the software I've been using in recent times puts alerts there.

23. sunoracle

sunoracle Registered Member

What needs to be improved in terms of x64 support?

24. delah

delah Registered Member

It runs really well on x64 currently, but is not 100% an x64 app as of yet.
    I am making sure all software I use is fully x64 before making the switchover.

25. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

And the point is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.