KIS 2006 and NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by DonKid, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I'm testing KIS 2006 beta and today when I started installing the new build, KIS showed me 2 questions about NOD32:

1) Automatic uninstall

2) Manual uninstall

When I choose automatic uninstall, it of course uninstall NOD32, but WITHOUT ask my password.So KIS 2006 can uninstall your NOD32 even if you have a password.
    After installation finished,without rebooting my PC, I opened task manager and only NOD32KRN was working.I know it's normal.
    So I tried to kill it, and it could be done without any kind of problem.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

2. gue_st

gue_st Guest

Would be nice, if somebody from Eset could read this.

Maybe then they would stop telling that absurd fairy-tale about *impossibility* to shut down NOD32 kernel service.

And then, maybe "off" button could be possible, like it is on other AV products.

3. chezy

chezy Guest

Try going to the services manager in Administrative tools and stopping the nod kernel service and disabling it.

4. gue_st

gue_st Guest

OP didn't have problems to stop nod kernel service.
    Quite opposite, he was wondering, why it was so easy, given it is "impossible" ! :D

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have asked for someone at Eset to take a look at this thread and have the matter investigated further.

Cheers :D

6. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

I checked with our legal department and all formal requirements were met by Kaspersky (They gave notice about uninstalling NOD32, etc.). The only thing we can do is to react similarly I guess! :)

Bandicoot.

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

that's a nasty game they've started... no good will come of this... for ANYONE...

8. .....

..... Registered Member

Well it isn't really nasty....
    The INSTALLER of KAV/ KIS 2006 comes with the OPTION to uninstall other (possibly conflicting) products. I think its a good idea personally - it saves hassle with conflicts etc and at the end of the day its optional.

9. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Thanks for the answer Bandicoot.
    And can you tell us, what Eset will going to do ?

10. Farbod

Farbod Registered Member

I'll contact Eugene Kaspersky, but I don't think to receive any acceptable response.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

n8chavez, you have been asked politely, please do not post the same question in multiple threads.

Blackspear.

12. gue_st

gue_st Guest

The problem here is not only Kaspersky met formal requirements or not.
    Eset have claimed impossibility to shut down NOD32 kernel service(and no user interface to do so) as needed for ultimate security.

Now, this case shows that this "ultimate security" is somewhat missing (which was of course obvious to everybody, except Eset, even before).

So now, maybe it could be possible to implement the feature to shut down NOD completely? Any other arguments why it cannot be done?

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It has nothing to do with legal stuff or because KAV guys want you to get rid of NOD32. WHole point is that they don't want any other AV to co-exist with their to remove possible countless compatibility issues.
    Sure there is a way to bypass this process (i know coz i've done it) but i'll leave it as it is. KL made that with a reason.

14. IBK

IBK AV Expert

"Incompatibility between antivirus programs is an issue; in the vast majority of cases, installing two antivirus programs from different vendors on one machine (for increased protection) is technically impossible, as the two programs will disrupt each other's functioning.
    People often think that antivirus companies are acting like toddlers snatching at each other's toys, that the incompatibility issue is caused by unfair competition, and specially designed in order to squeeze other manufacturers out of the market. However, this is not the case. There is no question of unfair or unethical competition. On the contrary, developers make every effort they can to ensure that their product does not conflict with other popular software (including antivirus solutions.)"

Source: http://www.viruslist.com/en/analysis?pubid=174405517

15. Farbod_2005

Farbod_2005 Guest

“I apologize to the readers of this forum, I misrepresented my position. I am not Eset employee”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.