Kingston hardware encryption drives

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by LockBox, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Does anybody here own a Kingston DataTraveler DTSP or DTVP? I have now bought two of these things, brand new, from a reputable seller on eBay for about 1/4 the cost of these at an online store. 8GB, hardware encryption flash drives for only $75. However....I am really curious about something. Two things actually.

I have a DTSP (which has been retired by Kingston) and just bought Kingston's new DTVP from this same seller. The DTVP is blue and otherwise is the same drive as my other encrypted flash drive. However, they say it is "TAA Compliant" where the older DTSP was not. Does anybody have any idea what the TAA Certification is all about? I have Googled this and the only info that comes up is about a trade act, but what would that have to do with an encrypted flash drive as far as Kingston bragging that it is now "TAA compliant?"

Also, if anybody uses these, have you used it with TrueCrypt? It would then have double-encryption. The hardware encryption and the container encryption inside. I'm wondering if that's overkill or if it might make sense. With 8GB, there's plenty of room for a container or two inside and I don't see any reason why the two wouldn't work together. Thoughts?

2. CaixFang

CaixFang Registered Member

While I dont have any of the Kingston Secure DT's I have plenty of the regular ones, and TC runs fine in them. More to your point, I have an IronKey and I use TC containers on the IK all the time. No noticeable speed issues, other than the standard speed lag of the IK to begin with. I dont see any issues here.

I love my IK (I wish they made them in a 32 or 64gb), and I dont see why the KDT would have any issues. I also have a Maxtor Black Armour, but I have yet to test TC containers inside it....infact I have yet to test it at all.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Gerard Morentzy, you are correct, TAA has to do with the product being complaint with the Trade Agreement Act.

Re: DTVault_VaultPrivacy_WP.pdf.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Ahh....that explains it then. Thank you. I just mentioned in another thread that I bought one of these the other day to go along with my DTSP. The only real difference that I can tell is the new one is blue. Thanks for the link and clearing that up!

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Gerard Morentzy, you are welcome! Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.