Kingsoft Office 2012 is not Free.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Osaban, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well this morning I received a nice little alert from Kingsoft Office 2012 that if I want to continue using it I'll have to buy a license. I'm happy about the product but I won't buy it as I think they have mislead us in the first place.

Check the link for a thread dealing with it exactly a year ago, specifically posts #33 and #38
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=306599&page=2&highlight=Kingsoft Office 2012

Edit: I followed their link Kingsoft Online Store and they offer a Professional, Standard, and Free versions. Probably what I should do is uninstall my expired version and install a fresh one.
    http://www.kingsoftstore.co.uk/kingsoft-office-freeware.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

LibreOffice is free:thumb:

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The point is that perhaps for language problems (spelling nummber for number is pretty indicative) Kingsoft haven't clarified what they meant in the first place.
    The free version is disactivated after a year, and one has the choice of buying a license of the Pro, Standard, or re-installing a new version of the free (free for home users).

I have re-installed the free version and all is well as I prefer this software to Libre Office. One should pay attention during the installation as it will try to include Kingsoft Anti Virus with it, but it can be easily deselected if one doesn't want it.

5. d0t

d0t Registered Member

I can't say much because I've been using it for about 3 months. At least, so far it didn't give me any warning :p

6. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I tried Kingsoft on a .doc with a lot of numbers and columns (my daughters team's softball game stats) and all it displayed was Chinese symbols. I have 100's of these .docs so Kingsoft is not an option for me.

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

That's true, but parts of it require Java for it to work. With latest Java vulnerabilities, people have been advised to disable or uninstall Java. (I understand though that Oracle have since released patches to fix the loophole.) This is probably why some will look for alternatives to LibreOffice, such as Kingsoft Office, that don't require Java.

Having said that, I believe LibreOffice developers are working to reduce or eliminate the dependency on Java in the future.

8. guest

guest Guest

Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012

well my copy just pop up and ask for a key
    guess this is not freeware

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Libre office is too big a download.Can anybody reccommend an smaller alternative please.:)

10. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Yes :cool: ...ca 56 MB to download
    http://freeoffice.com/

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Ive decided to go with kingsoft office instead.
    The softmaker open office was blocked by online armor as being a suspicious installation and im not taking any chances with it.
    Kingsoft seems a nice program though and fits my needs.:thumb:

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

when i sent them a question from the last time this was brought up i got a response saying it was free and went for a years time. i never heard back after that. so im still not sure if they meant it was like a 1 year trial or like avast free you have to re-register after a years time... not sure. i know i also got this popup a while after using it so its now gone from my systems.

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, I've been using OpenOffice for over four years & I still prefer it to everything else I've tried. including LibreOffice. When surfing with SeaMonkey (or Firefox) I have PrefBar installed & just uncheck Java. It's an old K-Meleon trick.

14. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Yes the are, in most cases you will not need to have Java installed to use LibreOffice.
    Does LibreOffice require Java? » LibreOffice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.