Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 [Cloud]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

The latter one I guess.

2. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Same here.

I dont understand, why create a supplementry AV at all?

3. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Hopefully Kingsoft can answer my question. I'm not going to lie though, this looks promising, but I do have my concerns like any other person would.

4. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Yes. All KAV does is provide a compatibility mode like WSE to help prevent conflicts. Not another Immunet (yeah I hate it too).

Go into settings and switch to Standard Monitor (this does NOT mean that Quick mode isn't effective or anything). If you are worried about its effectiveness then watch/read reviews and test the product for yourself. If still worried, I guess the product may not be for you. :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  5. Tyrizian

So, use the Standard Monitor setting if only Kingsoft AV is being used as a standalone AV?

And use the Quick Monitor if being used along side another AV? Correct me if I'm wrong

Since I'm sure you've used Kingsoft Antivirus, are you confident in it's effectiveness, especially if being used as a standalone AV? I just want to get your opinion based on your experiences

I have tested it and was quite impressed. I just want to cover all bases/make sure before putting it in the ranks with the other well trusted free AV. Getting information about user experiences, as well as testing, reading, etc. helps me make up my mind about a product

6. KingsoftSecurity

KingsoftSecurity Registered Member

Your questions are plenty...:eek:

1. Yes, you're right, but if we made it unchecked by default, and then the power of cloud security will be loss.

2. Em, this could be added in future development.

3. Yes. And why we make it unchecked? Because we're new here and our cloud is not larger enough to cover all files. The unknown files may be submitted successfully, and may be failed. And it takes time to return analysis result. If it checked by default, users would be very angry if the safe file cannot be used.

4. Yes, it should be the differences between Chinese users and English users. In China adware is not a major threat category, so we put more efforts on the harmful programs, not the unwanted programs.

5. Not really I think. If you're moving 100GB files, your harddisk will be under high pressure when standard monitor enabled. If the file will never be excuted, are you still worried it a lot? I think process monitor is enough for most users.

7. KingsoftSecurity

So, why an AV product should not be compatible with other AVs? Why do geeks keep finding a better security suite/partners? Actually we're developing a standalone av products, but this doesnt mean the standalone product should be not compatible with others. We take care about the resource usage optimization, and we think about how to use the handles and functions while programming, to avoid the conflicts with others. Does any other take care about this? No one can be 100% safe. As normal user, KAV 2012 is enough. If you want more protection, like adding anti ad-ware, or firewall, KAV 2012 is ready to working with others.(except the one you know :D )

8. KingsoftSecurity

Yes, MSE is becoming better in the recent update.

9. khanyash

Yes questions are plently coz there is no detail help files of Kingsoft:)

4. I hope you are trying to make Kingsoft AV 2012 a global product & not China specific so the product should detect everytype including PUP but yes PUP some users want the product to be detected & some dont so give an option to enable/disable PUP detection & by default you can keep it enabled for the sake of average users.

5. OK give me some info about process monitor i.e Quick Mode. Does Quick Mode i.e Process Monitor blocks the detected malware i.e malware process or quarantines the detected malware file too?

10. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Oh, talking about Webroot being an example of a standalone and companion AV (like KAV is). :)

11. khanyash

FW is ok, its on you if you would like to add a FW into Kingsoft AV:)

But Adware should be detected by Kingsoft as its an AV/AM's job. If you are making a global antivirus product, see to it that it provides allround malware protection.

12. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

What are your reasons for not liking Immunet?

13. Tyrizian

That's all I needed to hear:thumb:

I think you're doing a great job with KAV, Keep it up

14. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

No comment.

15. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

?

Why say you 'hate' something if you are unable to explain why? I had thought you must have had a good reason for it, but now it comes across as somewhat juvenile.

Unless you are implying that it's a given that being associated with Panda means you have to 'hate' all cloud AV competitors..?

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm running Kingsoft alongside Roboscan with no issues. Despite my usual dislike for antivirus software, I am finding this new release to not have any significant impact on my system, so I think I will keep it installed (and also Roboscan as it seems to be light on system resources too).

I have avoided previous versions of Kingsoft due to high CPU use. However when I first had performance issues with Kingsoft Antivirus, after reporting it on their forum @kingsoftrsearch.com, they offered to have a look at my computer and find out why. I think they used TeamViewer (it's been a few years) to take control of my computer and diagnose the problem. It turned out to be an issue with Kingsoft being too resource heavy, and not anything wrong my computer, so I stopped using it. However, very impressive support for a free antivirus.

17. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I am one, but I believe my answer was reasonable. I could explain why, but this is not the place for it. The thread is centered around Kingsoft and not Immunet. ;)

Now this part was a little over the edge...

18. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

LOL thats kinda funny, just wanted to add that's no way true. I used WSA along with Panda before and gave feedback on it. I submit malware samples to Kingsoft. I use Rising PC Doctor along with its cloud. As a Panda Cloud Support Helper you are no way required to just support Panda Cloud and hate everyone else.

19. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I took the time to try KAV yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed so far.

I do have one problem. It is detecting the switches on my Google Chrome shortcut as a suspicious startup. That in itself is no problem but there is no way to permanently ignore or trust the detection.

Attached Files:

20. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

Kingsoft, how do you handle signed files if they are executed?

21. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Kingsoft: As a USA user, I have a quick question. Since KAV is a Chinese product how does its protection compare in what the average Chinese user might encounter compared to the average USA user? I would have to guess that what malware is currently popular in China is not in the US and viceversa.............I know it's the "World Wide Web", but I as an average user never navigate to a Chinese web site. I hope I explained my question thoroughly enough.:D

22. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Would clicking on False Positive be the answer to that one?

23. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I know, I was teasing :) I had been searching the forums for general opinions on Immunet's performance, and had thought the original comment was related to the program's functionality rather than originating from a private beef.

Will have to try out Kingsoft Antivirus - looks promising. PCAV recently started slowing down my system - it was only seeing comments on the forums with similar experiences that made me realise the cause.

24. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I would guess that they must have a majority of signatures for Chinese malware in their database and therefore at the present time they probably rely more heavily on the behaviour blocker for more "Westernised" threats.

Therefore past tests at recognised sites such as Virus Bulletin and av-comparatives have not been too hot.

25. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I tried that and the false positive was submitted but the detection remained. Maybe Kingsoft has to process the false positive before it will be removed.

Exe files are no problem to exclude or trust but since this is a shortcut it seems to be processed differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.