Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 [Cloud]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

LOL. Yes I was talking about separately. If put together would go banana. :argh:

So did you get extensive testing of the compatibility of KAV with all those products(separately ;))?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There are certain modules that i don't have clue what they suppose to do. Like the Video Defense, i didn't know it involves sandboxing of video player inside browser just temporarely. Same goes for example for WebCam defense or how it's called etc. Things that i haven't seen so far in any security software.

You can explain it here or on your webpage, doens't matter, i'd just like to learn more about it (how it works).

3. guest

guest Guest

The Video Defense, is not a streaming player protection (youtube and co), in fact, it protect you if you download a suspicious video player and run a video in it, the player will be "sandboxed"

4. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Few queries here........

1. Is it required to join Kingsoft Cloud Security for Cloud Protection?

2. It automatically quarantines malware in realtime, how to set it to ask? I have set it to standard protection. Does Quick Protection asks on detection of malware or automatically quarantines like standard protection?

3. Unknown Programs must be identified before being executed - This is unchecked by default, what does this do?

4. Allow popup recommend for Kingsoft product - This is for Kingsoft product advert popup, right?

5. How does Kingsoft handles PUP, does it detects or allows it by default? If detects does the popup alert mentions Potentially Unwanted?

UPDATE - Tested final version a little. It detects these files as safe. Are these safe or malware?

https://www.virustotal.com/file/223...aad6ea9d2d04517ec91c6be6/analysis/1341583491/

https://www.virustotal.com/file/4e4...799ab7a22b5712355fc1f1c9/analysis/1341583491/

https://www.virustotal.com/file/0ee...0d7dd9634bd2f830c0c30934/analysis/1341583533/

I want to know on what basis files are detected as safe. Kingsoft staff here.........

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  5. KingsoftSecurity

KingsoftSecurity Registered Member

Tested with OA, Norton and BD, I'm not sure with Emsisoft.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Is Video Defense protection limited to specific browser? I'm asking because i'm using Waterfox because of native 64bit support but i'm not sure if i lose any protection because of it...

Btw Kingsoft, i'm writing a news about Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 on my blog and i'd like to spice it up with some historical info and other facts.

Can you tell me how large is your company within China market (which is huge by itself anyway)? Is Kingsoft the largest Chinese security vendor, second largest, third etc?

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. So how did KAV play along with BD's sandbox feature since KAV has the so-called temporary sandbox feature? I wonder how it would play along in terms of compatibility with sandbox features of many mega suites like Panda IS. And most importantly perhaps with Sandboxie. :doubt:

I see from the screenshot on the main Kingsoft Security website(link from your sig) that a huge Internet Explorer icon is present in the main interface of KAV. I wonder if KAV puts extensive stress in protecting IE than other browsers. :doubt:

8. KingsoftSecurity

KingsoftSecurity Registered Member

@narenbisht

1.Yes, it is.

2.First kind of threats detected on normal location, will be asked remove or ignore. Second kind detected on critical location, will be removed automatically. All reomvals are quarantined, if you want to remove it directly, you can change it on settings - virus scan - virus removal setting.

3.Unknown files will not be excuted until analysis result return from cloud.

4.Yes, it is.

5.This is according to which file request for it, and the actual behaviour. Normally Anti-hacker detect and block it if a trojan downloader requests a connection from outside.

The three files returned as safe after passing auto analyzers. If you want the exact result, they only can be returned from manual analysis.

Normally KAV detects the as safe, according to: 1. it's a safe file. 2. The hashes of this file match another safe file and return safe too.(in this case it may cause false detection, and it will never be fixed completely, even we keep updating our engines and algorithms). 3. The hashes of the file match the hashes been reported, but it also been identified as safe after manual analysis. (like some game plugins, seo tools, or some software contain ads but it's working)

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

1. What is the difference between Quick Monitor and Standard Monitor scan modes?

2. Does Standard Monitor mode also employ behavior analysis and blocking technologies?

I've made a news on my blog www.rejzor.tk if you're interested in checking it. I always like to spread the word about good software and Kingsoft AV 2012 is certanly worth it.

10. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

It still didnt register itself as anti spyware on my pc - win7 x64

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I thought they have fixed that :(

12. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

@Iron Man, It doesn't really have anything to do with that, from what I can tell anyways. Put it this way, the IE icon basically symbolizes the internet and browsers. After all, it is the most widely known browser (especially among average users). :argh: The globe icon could work too, but I think it looks even better with IE stamped to the tab.

@RejZor, Quick is a processes monitor and Standard is a file monitor. I believe Kingsoft is the second largest in China and they have a good standing in the far east (eastern asia) market but I don't much about them in Korea. :) I suppose the GUI is "cartoonish" from a westerner's perspective. :p

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  13. guest

guest Guest

works well with it

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I think the GUI is one of the best I have seen. :thumb:

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

LOL. Thx the explanation Cloud. :)

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well I wouldn't assured yet. Nothing personal but you also find the whole of Comodo IS working well with EAM. Given that pcs may vary from one another, many may find them conflicting as I do. So I'm sure if you're finding KAV compatible with EAM the normal way or you find it the CIS EAM way- extreme. :D

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

+1 :thumb: It's very cool. :)

18. guest

guest Guest

I like and enjoy to test AVs that are officially supposed to be compatible with others :D

Kingsoft said it is compatible, so i test it to verify and effectively , i saw no conflicts.

Now as you said, every system is different, mine can handle properly CIS + EAM where some fellows of mine - with the same combo, set the same way as mine to avoid potential conflicts - observed some slowdown in responsiveness, but none until now have been subject to apparent conflicts.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hmm....well okay.

20. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

When i run a scan with KAV I get these 3 items

[2012-07-07 23:51:12] Manual Scan Virus:"C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet Messenger (Yahoo!) Unhandled
    [2012-07-07 23:51:12] Manual Scan Virus:C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot WinPatrol Unhandled
    [2012-07-07 23:51:12] Manual Scan Virus:%windir%\system32\conime.exe Conime Unhandled

now the last one if you report it as a FP using KAV the program crashes and im not sure why

but those are FP. the last one is a Microsoft file.

21. selina1

selina1 Registered Member

Hi Brocke, what is your OS environment? I have tried to scan %windir%\system32\conime.exe in XPSP3 but no FP on my side.

Can you please send me these 3 files for analyzing? Thanks.
    Email: xukun@kingsoft.com

22. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

running windows 7 pro. I send those tomorrow.

23. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

1. What if I dont join the cloud security? I think its for sending the suspicious files only & not limits/minimize the security.

2. It would be good if there is an option for manual/auto action for realtime protection, wot say?

3. So you mean to say if the cloud result is malware it will be quarantined, if the result is safe it will continue execution & if unknown it will require user intervention like allow/block - plzz explain the 3 scenario.
    And why this option is not selected by default?

5. I meant PUP - Potentially Unwanted Programs which are not malware by nature. Kingsoft by default detects or allows PUP. I asked this coz I tested Kingsoft few times & observed that PUP are not detected & its too weak in adware detection.

About safe files - Do you mean if the autoanalyzer finds the file safe Kingsoft reports the files as safe, if autoanalyzer finds the file as malware it is quarantined & if autoanalyzer finds the file neither safe nor malware Kingsoft reports the file as unknown?

And I think it would be good if standard mode is the default, wot say?

And is there any detail help files for Kingsoft?

24. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Kingsoft indeed looks like a winner, but I am concerned about any antivirus that claims that it's compatible with other AV's. Most of them that claim this do not provide much protection as is, and I'm not claiming this is the case with Kingsoft. However I still question it's effectiveness as a standalone AV.

My question is:

What if I wanted to use Kingsoft Antivirus as my main AV, and not combine it with another, Would it still be effective like any other standalone AV (Example: Avast, Comodo Antivirus, Etc.). Or is this simply an AV that only catches very little "To supplement" another.

I just want to make sure this isn't the case, An answer would be much appreciated.

25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

My concerns are exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.