Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 [Cloud]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaspion

Jaspion Registered Member

That's a good option too. Kingsoft 2013 is supposed to have much better detection rates.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I would do that, but I only have it until this weekend. I'd assume that it will update itself once it's out, though. So maybe this and MSE...?

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Keeping in mind that this will be for a 15 yr old girl. I'd install EAM, but I think the prompts would be too much. I'll install BD TrafficLight, though.

4. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Adblock + Malware Domains, and PandaCloudFree.

That'd be what I would do.. No prompts, and plenty of malware blocked on the web itself.

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I was considering Panda as well.

6. Jaspion

I'm not sure about that. Probably if it doesn't auto update to v2013 it will at least prompt the user to do so. In any case, you can use TeamViewer to help your step-niece install the new version when it comes out.

MSE is not bad, but my recommendation is Avira + Kingsoft. Panda has similar detection rates. Avast and AVG are also better than MSE.

Avira will prompt with "Remove" or "Details" when a virus is found. Clicking "Remove" will quickly scan the system and remove the virus with no further prompt. Kingsoft automatically removes the virus. It has a "click here to restore" option on the detection window, so you might want to use Eicar test file with your step-niece watching and show her how it is and not to click that, just close the window. Also show how Avira works at detection, just to make her comfortable using the programs.

7. Jaspion

I believe Panda can also delete detected files with no prompt, and has good detection rates.

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Not much point in installing Avira in anticipation of Kingsoft adding the Avira engine.

What exactly is the scoop with Kingsoft, though? I prefer to get as many facts as possible, rather than taking plain recommendations (no offense to anyone in any way; I'm definitely taking them in).

9. Jaspion

Yes, there's that, but I don't know if it will be integrated fully or if there will be an option to use only their own engines. I'd prefer the second option if it's anything like the last versions that had Avira because Antivir offers more options to configure its engine than Kingsoft did.

If you're in doubt about Kingsoft, Avira by itself is very good. Panda can be an easier to use option and also very good by itself.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Perhaps you're right; "any doubt" are really the key words.

Last question (for now): how noisy is K+?

I have it running on another machine now, but don't know that it will really show me what it's like to use on a daily basis.

I have to admit that Kingsoft AV really has an impressive feature set for what it is. It could be a real winner (as a free AV) if it gets the Avira engine.

Are there any test reports for the current version? I saw that they have a lot of test 'badges' on the site, but didn't see anything current.

11. Jaspion

Like I said, I use it alongside Avira. It's not noisy at all. Shows notifications of updates but can be configured not to. It can show recommendations of other Kingsoft products (I have this turned on but never happened), which can also be turned off. Also has a Silent Mode. I have never used it but I believe it will remain silent after reboot. Will test here and tell you soon.

About tests:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/vendor?order=result&id=61&tab=onDemand

http://www.kingsoftsecurity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1302&start=0

In some observations I made, it scored better than Comodo, AVG, Bitdefender and Avast (against Brazilian malware).

12. Jaspion

Silent Mode is not permanent, it will be reset to "off" after reboot.

Still, it's not a noisy AV.

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Very cool; thanks Jaspion.

I probably won't put this on the niece's system, but am going to keep it on my other system here. Like I say: I'm pretty impressed with the feature set. Hopefully the next version will bring it up to speed.

Would still appreciate links to any current tests, if anyone has any. The tests are a bit tricky, though, since it mostly just shows that the companies are good/bad at the tests, and don't necessarily reflect real world performance. They're better than magazine reviews, though, and are about all we have to go on. I just wish they'd still break down the types of samples used (trojan, spyware, rootkit, etc., but also wild vs zoo).

14. Newby

Newby Registered Member

Since most suppliers release the 2013 version end of 2012, when is the 2013 version expected, anyone have a clue?

15. Jaspion

Nope, many have asked in their Forum and there is no answer that I know of. I guess they must be busy readying it but can't fix a date just yet.

16. Amin

Amin Registered Member

hey guys , long time no see :cool:

happy new year. and still there is no new version :D

best regards,
    Amin

17. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

18. rinem

rinem Registered Member

How good is this compared to WSA and BD Free?

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I could answer that, but it would be in violation of forums policy. :)

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

BD is doing very well in most comparative tests in terms of filtering out malware (protection percentage), often the leader of the pack in the A-group (AV's scoring real high protection levels). So its traditional core function is very good.

WSA's blacklist component (the traditional AV part) sometimes shows disappointing test results in comparative test (sometimes top notch in the A-group and sometimes in the followers group, the B-group). I have put WSA on my wife's laptop, because i like the HIPS component. WSA's browser protection is one of the best against MITM, BITM, MITB threats. It runs very very light while the reputation scoring (heuristics) can be set to whitelisting. This makes WSA an excellent AV for someone who shops and banks on-line, does not like to wait and clicks on allow to every pop-up/question.

KAV can be better seen as a companion solution, I use it because I do not have a realtime AV (use default deny instead), just want some addition to Google's reputation scoring when downloading something. No idea how good it will be when Avira engine is used in 2013 version.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  21. DX2

DX2 Guest

Any news on the new release? :doubt:

22. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Devs are quite silent ... Still no connection on forum of ARTHUR since mid December ... I guess they are busy with 2013 ver ...

23. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Don't worry, we won't say to moderators. :D

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Uninstalled it due to interference with Avast Script Shield, maybe Behaviour Shield, and other issues.

25. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Installed it and waiting now for 2013 with Avira engine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.