Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 [Cloud]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Yeah, I know that.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Kingsoft's GUI is one of the better i've seen. It's very simple, very logically layed out and is not childish at all.

F-Secure didn't openly tell what engines were used and it's not a chinese company. Users found out themself what engines are used...

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

What is the difference of the full download link any one know?

4. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

http://www.kingsoftsecurity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=870#p4028

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Im pretty sure if they did not license the Avira engine they would not have mentioned Updating Avira so publicly on their GUI.

We gotta remember Kingsoft in the past merged with Keniu (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=286424&highlight=Kingsoft and Keniu at the was using Kasperskys engine but I think it switched over to Avira. That must be why the Avira engine is being pushed into the new products?

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This is quite often not the case. Some examples are iolo System Shield and Auslogics Antivirus.

In fact, when iolo were just about to release version 4 of System Shield, the way they were promoting it in thier marketing emails, it made it sound like they had written the antivirus themselves (which was not the case).

8. selina1

selina1 Registered Member

If "Automaticlly enter Silent Mode while running games or full screen mode" option is checked, the yellow square on tray icon will appears while you turn to full screen mode,it means Silent Mode is turned on.

Now except some virus detections in key location will be removed automatically, other detections will ask user to choose how to process, to avoid it processed some unknown programs automatically that you don't really want to blocked.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Selina, can you explain us the AVIRA relation we found out in Kingsoft AV ? Is AVIRA engine and signatures still used in SP4.0 or has this been removed or replaced? Does AVIRA still do the scanning but just when offline and not connected to the cloud?

10. gery

gery Registered Member

why is this important question still unanswered?

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's indeed strange, like they are trying to avoid it...

12. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

I agree Rejzor. It is a simple yes or no answer they could give. I am beginning to think "free" is turning into a potential problem with some companies.

I imaged back to trying out Avira Premium 2012. It just works, a bit resource hungry, but it does what it is supposed to and all for under 200MB. I may buy this, but will continue to use it for now as I have 27 more days left in my trial, so far it is solid. it has some oddities like they all do, none are 'perfect' but I like the way it handles itself.

I hope Kingsoft will reply as to what their plans are. I tried the SP3.5 version, but too many minor issues for now. I continue to look for a paid solution, so far, I do like Avira Premium.

Jim

13. KingsoftSecurity

KingsoftSecurity Registered Member

Hmm, actually, we're experiencing a bad time now. We plan to add Avira as an additional engine in 2013, and release a preview version of it (the Full Download version), to see how users respond. Unfortunately, a huge debate occurs among our chinese users. Lots of them are against this change, and don't want Avira added. Currently the question around the Full Download cannot be answered, because it's still under discussion.

Quite sorry mates.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  14. DBone

DBone Registered Member

This is not ending well...........

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Chinese users don't want top tier engine being used in KAV !? Sorry, but are they a bit hit? It's like saying, no, i don't want Kaspersky Engine being used in my product, i want the VirusBuster engine! WHY!?

16. gery

gery Registered Member

it is saying no i do not want a Mercedes ML twin turbo i am fine with my old
    GAZ 69

17. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I read that Avira engine makes the program more heavy...people noticed increasing of RAM usage about 40-50 MB and 150-200% CPU usage. So they come back to "pure cloud" without Avira.

18. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I doubt we will fully understand though, but yeah I wonder what this issue is too. They may just want Kingsoft to excel on its own, which is very understandable. :)

We can always use Avira + KAV and call it good. ;) I used this combo with Avira Free. Disabled the ad issue (though I came across only one ad during tbh) and got webguard w/o the toolbar. ProActive doesnt work in 64bit anyway, so it felt like I had Premium! :argh:

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

That does explain why some Chinese users don't want the Avira engine included.

While some people may miss it I don't think it's a big deal because Kingsoft has been designed to work with other antiviruses, so you can install Avira or another AV alongside Kingsoft and should not have any issues.

20. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Your explanation makes sens...as I remember KPCD works on 3 ring of protection so Kingsoft Cloud AV probably works the same if it can be second AV in real-time on system. When we install Avira engine program becomes a "traditional" AV that can only work alone.

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah well, i don't like AVIRA but i do like their engine...

22. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Avira is for offline protection, does this mean RealTime or OnDemand?

23. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

I do hope you get it worked out. Thanks for commenting on the matter. Best wishes as you continue development. :)

24. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Can you say when you Release it

Must i uninstall the old One First

You can add the AVG Engine or what Everest you want

25. selina1

selina1 Registered Member

You need not uninstall the old version because the new version can be updated from the updater.
    The official version is in development and maintenance, it will not let you wait too long, if everything goes well, version 5.0 will be released in 1-2 weeks.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.