Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 [Cloud]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's not USB defense in the sense you are talking about. When you plug in a storage device, KAV immediately does a quick scan of the files on that device.

If you know the contents are clean - it would be annoying to have the drive scanned every time you plug it in.

2. ooVoo

ooVoo Registered Member

well, i see.
    but, if u use a laptop and, access to Internet somewhere. you can not make sure if there were any potential risk lurk within. if there were, how could you make sure the USB device is clean?

3. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

If its ur personal usb disk u can be sure right ?
    its annoying whenever i plug my usb or cell it starts scanning - there should be an option like kaspersky whch asks if we want to scan or not

4. ooVoo

ooVoo Registered Member

well, I think a silence option is enough. only alert you while suspicious danger is caught.

5. paniccom

paniccom Registered Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but after installing and updating, I noticed it said "Checking Avira updates...".
    Is Avira the Kingsoft AV engine?

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm not sure where you could see this. Also as far as i know Kingsoft is using their own engine

7. paniccom

No doubt I saw it. Just did a fresh install using the download from the website that's labeled "Full Download (Local Virus Lib Integrated)" and is 76.9 MB (It has definitions included in it so it's larger download). After installing, I checked for updates manually and got the "Checking Avira updates..." where it normally just says "Checking updates...".

Afterwards, back to "Checking updates...". This may mean it uses some or all Avira signatures. If I have time later, I'm going to reimage and reinstall the same way and try to grab a screenshot.

8. David2041

David2041 Registered Member

You are right ! the full version has avira intergrated !

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Full installer is also outdated. It's still SP3.5 but the latest version is SP4.0...

10. paniccom

@#$%!! Now I'll definitely have to reimage and reinstall to see what version was there when I saw the Avira update box, and grab that screenshot. Right now I'm running SP4.0 but maybe that came after an update. And I was just sooo lazy today....!

11. paniccom

Okay, here's what I must have done:
    RejZoR, you're right, the full installer is outdated--vSP3.5. But that's what I installed last night, thinking that by downloading the larger file, it would save time with updates. (I think I was remembering Roboscan and it's very slow initial update). I updated it, which showed the "Checking Avira updates..." window, and it updated definitions only, but I still had SP3.5. I later installed the smaller Kingsoft software, which overwrote the other and offered restart, and that brought me to SP4.0.

The only thing worthwhile about all this is that it may have shown that King is connected with Avira, and since there are no legit King tests out there that I've seen, maybe I can rest easier since Avira usually does pretty well in testing.

After installing the full installer, yep, it's SP3.5...
    Kingsoft Installing.jpg

About to press 'Update Now' button...
    Kingsoft Updates.jpg

Here's the Avira 'clue'...
    Kingsoft Avira Updates.jpg

12. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I always thought that they used their in house engine....

13. paniccom

Unless Avira was used up to SP3.5...? Maybe they changed with 4.0. There are no other indications besides that one update, anyway...

Can a pgm use their own engine with another's definitions? (Licensed, of course)

Then again, everybody's doing it--using other AV enigines, that is. Roboscan with Bitdefender, ZA Free AV + FW using Kaspersky, and somewhere in these forums were a bunch of others listed that also use Bitdefender.

14. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

It's confirmed on the Kingsoft site that they are using Avira.
    http://www.kingsoftsecurity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=865

15. DBone

DBone Registered Member

So is KAV still cloud only, or is it a hybrid with some engines cloud based and others local based? Is Avira one of the "quadruple engines" that they display on the UI?

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I hope this isn't an IOBit/Malwarebytes situation. I have grown quite fond of Kingsoft AV.

17. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

I don't believe that is the case here. Regarding their using Avira, it looks like it is only one of the current engines. Here is part of a post from their forums:

"Your experience is right,and I can tell you something that the KAV 2013 will have new engines(one is newly added,the other is the Blue Ⅲ,and they are both developped by Kingsoft),which mainly rely on the Kingsoft Security Cloud!"

KAV is already really good and looks to get even better.:)

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah, i've seen it as well yesterday, though i prefer SP4.0 since it's the latest.

I hope they won't dump AVIRA engine. I hope they'll continue using it for offline protection like they probably use it now.

19. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Are you saying this because Kingsoft also originates in China?! o_O

20. carat

carat Guest

I don't trust Chinese companies with childish GUI ... :'(

21. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Childish? lol As if. :D Seriously though, there is nothing "childish" about the UIs and you will find those type of designs in most asian programs and stuff. Not going to lie, even the bad guys throw in a few colors to blend into the crowd. ;)

Trend Micro originates from Japan. :cool:

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Yeah, partly. Chinese have a reputation for stealing other companies IP & technology. Sorry, but that's the facts.

Also, usually when a company uses another AV companies engine, they mention it pretty openly on their website. People only discovered this on accident.

23. gery

gery Registered Member

lets see what the guys of Kings say

24. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Those facts do not claim every business present in that country. I am pretty sure the Chinese already knew. It is true for some AV companies, but not all do this for every partner.

25. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

so where does it state that Kingsoft uses Avira for there offline engine?

but it would be nice if it was used even while online or is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.