Killapps.exe/Trojan.win32.killproc.i

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by JPM, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPM

JPM Registered Member

Hello,

Yesterday as I was doing a virus scan on my system KAV popped up and said that KillApps.exe was infected with a trojan or I guess is a trojan. The warning said trojan.win32.killproc.i. I scanned the file with TDS-3 and also NOD32 and neither of those show anything. I also have BOClean running resident and it has never popped up regarding this file. I had scanned my system two days ago with KAV and it did not say anything at that time so I am wondering if this could be a false positive that was introduced with the latest DB update from Kaspersky? I googled the file name in question and I found one reference to it being a trojan but also a few that say it's a safe file. Anyone else with KAV seeing this in the last few days?

Thanks in Advance

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I don't use KAV but i'm sure if u sent the file to them, they could tell u if it is a FP or not.

snowbound

3. JPM

JPM Registered Member

I had already sent it off to them. I was just seeing if anyone else had come across this. I will post the answer when I receive their reply.

Peace

4. JPM

JPM Registered Member

Well they replied (very quickly I might add) and said the FP had already been fixed and to download the latest DB updates. I checked again and I already had the latest update but the file still shows as being infected. Sooooo, I sent them another email and we shall see :)

5. hutzelmann

hutzelmann Guest

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Were you using extended data bases? The only time I tried using extended sigs, KAV went ahead and deleted Terminate.exe, which is a legitimate prog in HP machines. Maybe KAV doesn't like files called 'kill' or 'terminate', especially when their function is to halt other progs!

Actually, Killproc.exe is a legitimate Microsoft prog (depending on file path!), but I really don't know about Killapps.exe one way or the other.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

the first time I ran a scan with mcafee it deleted both apps. that is when I researched them and found this

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  8. hutzelmann

hutzelmann Guest

9. Sk4i

Sk4i Guest

Any word on this file - my system has picked it up a few times now and I'm trying to figure out what it does. A quick Google seems to indicate it's some sort of Trojan.

Also I found the creators site [ I think ] http://www.killapps.com/

I use Kaspersky Personal 5 with Extended DB's, however I remember it picking this file up awhile ago while running on Standard if I'm not mistaken.

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

There seems to be at least two different things here:-

a) Creative Labs' Audigy sound card uses 2K_XP/Drivers/COMMON/killapps.exe. See here for details:- http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/58/58954.htm

b) Killapps - which is sofware used for the control of certain applications. See here:- http://www.killapps.com/screenshots.htm

c) Clearly, if the above two things do not apply, then we have to think in terms of malware.

The most likely explanation is the Audigy sound card.(see here:- http://research.pestpatrol.com/Analyses/2004-03-02_212212.asp).

Eliminate this possibility before considering anything else. It is not unknown for the heuristics of an AV to misinterpret the veracity of a prog designed to halt other processes.

11. me_again

me_again Guest

lol !!!

panda av reports it's an hacking tool, what ever it is. it's not located in the driver files of my sound card :d lol

destroy it and be happy

12. i ment the killapp's

:) lol :d :d:d

13. xlliz

xlliz Guest

The problem is, after this killapps.exe was deleted, I never be able to manage the system service,view stop and the like functions were lost.

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.