KeyScrambler, is still really effective?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ExtremeGamerBR, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x942

x942 Guest

This requires some social engineering but:

Step 1: Mark the file KeyScrambler.exe to be deleted upon reboot.

Step 2: Reboot the computer.

This file controls the loading and unloading of KeyScrambler, and provides the tray icon that shows KeyScrambler's status. Windows will delete KeyScrambler.exe when the system is restarted, and KeyScrambler is disabled. Now if you baked this into a trojan, you could automate the process (disguise the trojan as an update to keyscrambler) and have it drop a "fake" keyscrambler that makes it look like the keys are still be scrambled. (The icon in the bottom corner and the window that shows keys "changing")

EDIT:

Just found this: https://defuse.ca/softwaresecurity.htm

Looks like I was beaten to the punch :p

2. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

There are some key words here that bother me, "executed", "run", "edit", "adds", "deletion", "unprotected", etc.

It turns out, the sky is not falling after all. When it comes to security in Windows, my favorite dialog box is "Access Denied." ;)

3. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

So does Keyscramble fair....?

In comparison to OA keylogging effectiveness and that of PrevxSOL..? Any ideas there..?

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't see how any antikeylogger can work if they're "encrypting" keystrokes.

Instead a keylogger would have to block hotkey calls for individual programs among other things ie: what a HIPS will usually do.

5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Well, they can work, but the issue is that they seem to be easy to bypass, if malware authors decide they need to bypass them. Take Zeus for example. Its keyboard logging component monitors for key presses and then when it detects one it uses the GetKeyboardState function to retrieve the actual keys pressed.

Using GetKeyboardState is a very simple key logging method and pretty much any antilogger protects against it. In the case of Keyscrambler, it will protect from Zeus keylogging, because GetKeyboardState will return garbage information to Zeus.

But a couple of problems emerge:

1. Zeus or other banking malware could very easily disable Keyscrambler if it wanted to.
    2. Even without disabling Keyscrambler, Zeus still gets the usernames and passwords it wants because it has captured them after decryption (the so called anti-SSL logging element you see in Spyshelter and Zemana), as well as capturing screenshots and clipboard content.

So Keyscrambler fails against banking malware without the need to disable it. As for Rapport, it would probably protect against the SSL logging and screenshot attacks, but most Rapport installs wouldn't protect against clipboard logging and the keyboard logging protection sounds suspect at best.

The safest bet appears to be to use an AKL which provides active alerts versus the silent approach of Keyscrambler or Rapport. If you suddenly see alerts for keyboard logging, clipboard logging and screenshot logging you know you have a problem.

6. Hungry Man

They protect against legacy malware. Normally I'd say this is fine, there are mitigation techniques in EMET that do the same thing (heapspray, eaf) but TR makes really high claims and it's insanely easy to bypass. I don't think keyscrambler makes the same claims but it's still a pay-product and it's likely just as easily bypassable, but I don't know how it works.

The silent protections with these two is that they're trying to encrypt keystrokes between you and the program. This is apparently an incredibly flawed idea.

Blocking actual calls to register key states hotkeys etc is a better way to do this.

7. carat

carat Guest

The idea is "great" but I wouldn't execute an unknown file (awesome.exe) ;)

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

great.dll:D

9. x942

x942 Guest

Nope. The sky is not falling. I haven't found any real issues with keyscrambler besides how easy you can disable it. The only issue I can think of is that the encryption key has to be stored in plaintext somewhere. If that becomes known any malware could find it and decrypt any keystrokes. The encryption key also be hardcoded but I doubt it (as it would have been found out by now).

Just as well as before. Use it for an additional layer of security NOT a sole layer of security. I've found no other issues with it besides being able to kill it so easily. I believe OA can protect user chosen applications from being 'killed' in memory. A hips could be modified to prevent access to the keyscrambler folder from "unknown" programs.

Exactly. Only an average user (who probably wouldn't be using this) would be at risk. They should still protect those files.

10. Hungry Man

If you were to use a Sandboxie profile it would probably pair fairly well with Keyscrambler as long as each profile has blocked read-access to keyscrambler files/folders.

At that point it might work.

11. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

To prevent sandboxed apps from deleting/disabling KS outside the sandbox? You don't need to prevent read access as delete=write/modify which, naturally, is isolated by default.

12. Hungry Man

To prevent them from reading any keys. Though I guess if the key is loaded up already you'd have to block that too... idk I never spent much time configuring Sandboxie.

13. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Ahh I see what you meant to say (I thought you were talking about killing/deleting KS). I'd imagine the encryption key being hardcoded and hard to crack, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a protection if it's plaintext. :)

14. Hungry Man

At some point the key has to be in plaintext. When we use something like bitlocker and unlock it the key is stored in RAM.

IDK enough about it.

15. x942

x942 Guest

Yes. The key has to be in plain text at some point. They may have store the key in the driver cache, or memory. CPU is possible but unlikely, and if it's part of the executable.. Well game over really. That would mean the is static and everyones key is the same.

16. Kuffi

Kuffi Registered Member

I don't know much about hooking; but what prevents a trojan to hook the functions/incoming data before the keyscrambler driver? Why should every trojan hook be installed after keyscrambler in the hookchain? (I assume the trojan might also freely install a driver if it wants to - most people have adminrights/click yes).

17. carat

carat Guest

I want to know that too :)

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

me too ;)

19. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Nothing in theory, but in practice most banking malware hooks after any data would be decrypted by Keyscrambler, so either way Keyscrambler wouldn't protect you. A lot of the banking malware intercepts/hooks all of the following:
    - Keystrokes - Keyscrambler would protect from this
    - Clipboard data - Keyscrambler would fail
    - Screenshots - Keyscrambler would fail
    - 'http/ssl' APIs - Keyscrambler would fail

1 out of 4 ain't going to protect you unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.