KeyScrambler 3.0 is released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ViVek, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It doesn't do anything, that's the problem. It can be easily defeated, it just doesn't work.

2. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It does exactly what it says it does. If you find yourself in a position where it's "easily defeated", it means you entire security approach is easily defeated to begin with.

It isn't going stop a "trojan" like Zeus. It doesn't claim to be able to do it. Using a test like that as a barometer to judge it's effectiveness is about as fair as blaming Sandboxie for not stopping/removing a virus that got on your computer because you let it out of your sandbox, or didn't run the session sandboxed to begin with. Or didn't scan the thing. And have no anti-ex./SRP in place to prevent it from executing afterward.

KS will prevent malware from getting onto your computer, it will not detect it, and it will not remove it. It won't even prevent/detect/remove keyloggers. What it will do is scramble your keystrokes so that in case a "keylogger" gets onto your box it will only see the scrambled text. And it will work in that capacity against your normal, run of the mill keylogger. I've tested it against several and have seen it work, revealing only the scrambled strokes. There are websites you can test this on. Again, against "keyloggers". Or no keylogger/PUP at all. There could simply be some shady site trying to store your login info., maybe with some script they plant on the page that's needed to login. It will protect you there and show them only scrambled text.

... not trojans. The tests you cite to judge KS's effectiveness are apples to oranges. You should have another measure on hand, for example a HIPS, or real-time antimalware, anti-executable, SRP, etc... to prevent such a scenario from occurring. Those components are what should be put to the test to see if they could prevent a Zeus from getting onto your box. Not something that takes up a mere 3.36 MB of harddrive space with 0 footprint.

KS is nothing but a tiny layer to protect, again, against most generic keyloggers... in the event that one manages to slip through a dozen other layers in the first place, and you lack an image to fall back on. And I don't know about you, but the odds of that happening to me are roughly equivalent to winning the Powerball. In that regard, perhaps, it can be called worthless. It's why I took the paid version off my computer in the first place. But the free version leaves no footprint so I decided to add it just in case lightning does strike twice... on the same tree, on the same day.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

It doesn't specifically call out Zeus, but it clearly positions itself as a solution against banking malware. e.g. first sentence here:
    hxxp://www.qfxsoftware.com/ks-windows/how-it-works.htm

Most users (Wilders frequenters aside) probably have no idea that Keyscrambler provides no protection at all against banking malware.

On the other hand, if you're concerned that somebody might install a simple commercial keylogger on your PC (which only logs keys, no clipboard or screens), then Keyscrambler might help.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

KS is a thing of the past. Zemena AL free offers does the same as ks premium.:D

5. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

nope, test Zemana free against some commercial keyloggers and you will see how zemana "good" is.:thumbd: :thumbd:

6. siketa

siketa Registered Member

If Zemana works as it should, all that keyloggers can grab are encrypted keystrokes.
    Can they? :doubt:

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@ViVek
    I was talking feature wise.;)

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

See this link -http://www.raymond.cc/blog/keystroke-encryption/

This will show you that Zemana free is above KeyScrambler Personal, Pro, Premium. When Zemana free process is terminated, encryption will continue to work, while KS will now fail. KS Personal only works in browser while Zemana free is the equivalent of KS Premium.

Although both pass all test with regards to keylogging vs keystroke encryption.

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@kupo
    Agree.:thumb:

10. fax

fax Registered Member

Which one? I see Zemana passing most of them: -http://www.raymond.cc/blog/keystroke-encryption/

11. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

@fax
    Thanks for the link!

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Actually you should thank "kupo" that posted it above :)

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thanks for the confirmation ;)

Strange that v2.9 is acting up too ? I used to have a much earlier version installed a couple of years ago, which worked just fine. Wierd how when vendors set out to "improve" their Apps, they often make them worse !

I've uninstalled KS now.

14. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

The fix works for KS 3.0. I was in doubt at first because windows 7 hides the icons, but when I dragged it down it activates on websites. My only complaint is that I've had to refresh sites a couple times before it triggers. Not sure why this happens, but it's a bit spontaneous.

As for Zemana free, I installed that a while ago on one of my computers as a substitute for key scrambler and I started to experience boot issues. Anyone known if this was a known problem and whether it's been fixed? Otherwise, I'm hesitant to switch programs, because key scrambler works fine for my needs.

As for the methods I've read about for bypassing and disabling KS. I don't really see these holding much weight, since just about every application is vulnerable to such risks if the malicious agent in question is given physical access to your system. it's equivalent to anti-virus programs being disabled by an av killer. Do we just stop using them? I've also seen people complain about how easy it is to disable these security apps due to a lack of password protection, but zemana doesn't offer password protected settings last time I checked. So another point that doesn't really hold weight.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  15. raymond.cco_O You must be joking as if that is a reliable test :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Fact is this: KS or Zemana AK cannot protect you, test it against Citidel it will fail, honestly they just use gimmicks to sell their software.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

so true:thumb:

17. And I'm not a hater.... I own a license to KS, but you would think if it actually worked that every AV company under the sun would be using KS technology... But their not, this tells you something.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

19. luciddream

Neither will protect you from banking malware, true that. And if they suggest as such it is indeed misleading. One should have other measures in place to prevent against such things. KS & ZA will protect from most mersh/generic keyloggers. Zemana's free version provides other protection as well, so in that regard one could definitely call it "better".

But as it concerns me, that added protection would only be overlap and potential conflict with my paranoid D+... which will do the job far better than ZA. But if you're not using a HIPS, then sure ZA will benefit you more than KS. But for me it has no value. I at least know that KS Free will not conflict with anything I already have in place. I like that all it does is scramble keystrokes in the event that some mersh/generic logger manages to slip past a dozen other layers, & my discretion. And like that it's just an addon in FF and not an independent program running that could conflict with my D+.

And now I'm reluctant to upgrade to v3 because I'm afraid that will be lost. I mean if no addon/plugin is required anymore... how does it work? Does that mean the free version is running in real-time now? If so, count me out.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  20. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

It sure does :)

View attachment 236752

21. fax

fax Registered Member

Any good evidence of this? Tried it last year and the full Zemana (didn't test the free version) did block the attempts to capturing (webcam/keylog/screen). o_O

22. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Full zemana has that and also Man in the Browser protection and a mini HIPS, so it is good against banking trojans, but the free version is only keystroke encryption.

23. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

KeyScrambler (Premium) and Zemana are both very good and have no noticeable affect on system performance. I'm using KeyScrambler only because it has worked well on my system (no conflicts) so I don't want to risk Zemana conflicting with CIS, although with all these free offers I'm tempted to try it (again). Even though KeyScrambler Personal only protects your browsers, I think that's when you need it the most (while entering passwords into web forms and during online banking). On rare occasions the scrambled keys carry over to actual typing that shows up (some kind of system lag effect), but otherwise it has worked great.

24. luciddream

In your case I'd guess it could be because when they redesigned this puppy they didn't have compatibility with Firefox v.3 in mind...

And I aint hatin... you go do your thing by all means. It's your box. I'm old school and a minimalist too. Was just giving you a possible explanation.

25. luciddream

So you're in the same boat as me then. No need for the extra protection with full blown HIPS in place.

... yet also knowing there will probably be a cold day on the equator before we actually need KS to save us with D+ and other measures in place.

But with 0 footprint, it's not like we're carrying around a dead weight anyway. Just in case that cold day comes... And/or we become so negligent that we just allow dozens of D+ alerts citing suspicious activity from some obvious thing we've never seen before, like "shadykeylogger.exe". Sure... go right ahead and set those global hooks, and capture my keystrokes, and my screen while you're at it. Connect out too?... yeah, why not?

This of course coming after I download the thing in the first place and ignore the 38 vendors at VT that flag it. Then recover it from my sandbox. Then disable my SRP and several other hardening measures to get the thing to install.

Assuming I'm completely comatose like that some day... I know I'm covered!

Okay... point conceded CSN... this thing is utterly pointless. And I'm now reminding myself of why I uninstalled then gave away the Premium version to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.