Kernel patch of Con Kolivas. Apply to PCLOS-2007?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I get a little box with different colored/sized gears turning.

And I switched kernals to the ~18.5cktexstar.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

It means your video driver and 3d acceleration is properly enabled and so is Open GL. Why did you switch back to the regular kernel btw?

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

The test kernel, from a testing repostory. When I enabled 3D Desktop effects in PCLOS CC it locked/froze my computer. Upon reboot neither regular Linux nor ck test kernel booted. The other 2/3 entries in Grub led to command line situs. Which was worthless to me.

So as I was checking the regular repositories (after reinstalling all but home) not the testing ones. I found a ck kernel patch with texstar's name in it. I remenber it being reccommended. So thats whats I'm running. Things run much snappier for me. Still haven't the courage yet to enable 3D Desktop effects in PCLOS CC. Maybe after I finish a couple downloads & a remasterme. I'll try 3D effects again?

One dl is SAM-2007. Supposed to run fast. Since I built my system 02/2004 new with parts that were state of the art in 2002/2003. I'n interested in SAMs way. Course SAM is built on PCLOS.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Don't use the testing dev kernels, instead use regular release ck patch kernel in the reps, they run far better and are fully stable.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yup thats what I found out.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

The dev kernel never detects my Yamaha Wave Force sound card whereas the older kernel does without any sweat.

7. Reposed

Reposed Registered Member

Will the kernal patches work on SAM linux?

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Yes :cool:

9. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Actually it doesn't. glxgears works perfectly well on a vesa driver with no 3d acceleration, except the wheels turn slower and the FPS is quite low since all of the processing is done by the processor instead of the video card.

To properly determine whether there is 3d acceleration, just type
    Code:
    glxinfo| grep rendering
    and it will tell you.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I got a yes.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

GLXGEARS don't work on the basic NV drivers that comes with PCLOS or Ubuntu, only when I install nvidia drivers from the reps, does glxgears work.

12. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Well on openbsd/gentoo/arch/netbsd/freebsd, I can get it working, only at a painfully slow pace (around 10 FPS and full CPU utilization) with the vesa driver (basic driver that works on almost any chipset). Trust me, it works without 3d acceleration (openbsd doesn't have any ;) )

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.