Kerio w/ XP Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by squash, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squash

squash Registered Member

Description: I use Kerio Firewall with XP Firewall

I havn't installed SP2 yet (CDs are on the way) so I use Kerio Firewall with XP firewall. Why? Because Kerio is easily terminated, if I right click then exit, Kerio exits even though I run as limited user. At least in Zone Alarm if I exit, it comes with a confirmation popup and won't let a limited account exit the firewall. And when I change users between Owner account and then log back into the limited account the Kerio Firewall sometimes crashes. So I have to run two firewalls at the same time, at least Windows XP firewall doesn't crash...

I know I shouldn' read two firewalls at the same time, as they may conflict with each other, but what can I do? If Kerio keeps on crashing... and when it crashes I can't restart it by going to Start>Programs>Kerio>Firewall Engine it simply won't work. What is your input on this

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

There is a registry value "allwayssecure" if set to 1 Kerio may be terminated, but all net access is cut off. Do a search for it, as ther are some implications to using it. Don't run two firealls at the same time, conflictsd are likely.

Why does everyone want two firewalls and two AV's? Do you want to wear two pairs of undershorts?

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I've a friend who runs Kerio with his XP firewall...and AVG free. He says??.... that this fellow http://www.rayshaw.im.com.au/ advised him that it was fine to do??

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  4. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

Get a router and just run one software firewall - mainly for outgoing protection.
    Let the router handle the incoming.

5. squash

squash Registered Member

A router is expensive and an overkill for a home PC. It had to be said...

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

But it's probably the best advice... :)

7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Which version of Kerio?

While it would not be a requirement for a stand alone system, it is still an option and basic NAT routers can be had for less than some software firewalls.

Regards,

CrazyM

8. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

No they aren't. And no it isn't. It had to be said :p ;)
    Routers are inexpensive. In some cases less than a software firewall. And a router belongs between every home user's PC and the internet. Hardly overkill, but rather almost a given.

Sooner or later everyone has to disable their software firewall for one reason or another. With a good hardware firewall such as a good router, you are still protected. XP's firewall is not even close to the same protection. And under normal circumstances, a router can actually take some load off of your computer because instead of your software firewall having to combat incoming traffic all day long, the router is knocking it down before it ever gets there. :cool:
    They are also just as easy or easier to setup as a software firewall.

But to each his own. :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  9. Arup

Arup Guest

In my three to four years of using Kerio 2.xx, I have never once seen it terminated by any worms whatsoever, I only recently came to know about the alwayssecure reghack but the termination problem was never faced by me, I have been to some pretty nasty sites so should have faced the flack.

10. squash

squash Registered Member

I used the lastest Kerio 4.x, I now switched to ZoneAlarm and it is tottally stable now. No problems whatsoever, although it may seem a little "begginer" like for some, it perfectly fills my needs.

11. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

It is all about what works best for you and you are most comfortable with. Glad to hear you have everything working as it should.

Regards,

CrazyM

12. Diver

Diver Registered Member

ZA may seem "beginner" because in its default mode it is suitable for beginners. Try making some advanced rules or turning on advanced application controls and it is not so "beginner".

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Diver - Right you are.. Trying to do rules in ZA is anything but intuitive..

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Diver,

I fully agree, tried making a block outbound port 80 for Thunderbird which was a dream to do in KPF2, it is a nightmare, even the so-called gurus can't answer my query at ZA forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.