kerio 2.1.x

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cochese, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cochese

cochese Registered Member

I've thought about trying this firewall out, but I'm worried about learning a firewall that isn't updated anymore (I don't want to bother with the current 4.x version). Is there any security concern with using a firewall that isn't being updated anymore? (obviously not right now, since so many people are still using it...but say, another year down the road).

Thanks for your answers.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Kerio 2.1.5 is still a vialble option and as you note the choice of many users.

While it's day will come, it is hard to say just when that will be.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

In reality the only thing that can defeat Kerio is exploits in the other software like IE, and the operating system inself, which are not directly the fault of Kerio. Rule based firewall are not for everyone, as a matter of fact, they are not for most people, you have to be really willing to learn how tcp/ip procotols work, use the program to its full potiential, and avoid mistakes that would possibly allow malicious traffic while blocking traffic you want to allow. You can really screw up on rule based firewalls if your not sure what your doing at all, but in the other firewalls sticky thread in this forum there is a link to a default replacement I wrote which provides most of the basic rules found in rule based firewall faqs which would be useful for everyone, along with being more secure than the default ruleset the programs starts with.

They don't come with nice GUI user guides with are newbie friendy, and if there were good help files to help you understand them, it would be like learning how to use a brand new operating system from reading those big thick manuals most people don't like to read.

4. herbalist

herbalist Guest

In general, I would say no, unless something in the basic design of internet protocols or their usage changes. For the most part, internet programs operate the same way as they did before. They use basically the same protocols. Ip addresses work basically the same way. In spite of improvements, it's still the same basic system, just much busier. The rules that govern how an application works are basically the same. Barring major changes, a firewall that worked last year, works this year, and will continue to work. Most updates to firewalls are not to their basic functions. They're usually upgrades to the additional functions many of them perform now. If you want a firewall to perform one task, controlling internet traffic, Kerio 2.1.5 is excellent at this. If you want a firewall to perform other functions as well, then you may want one that upgrades. For myself, I let other software handle the tasks that other firewalls now include, such as watching applications or checking for e-mail virus, and let Kerio handle the flow of internet traffic.
    Rick

5. cochese

cochese Registered Member

I couldn't agree more herbalist. Although, I do enjoy sygate's ability to check if a program has been altered (which I know there are several other programs out there that can do the same...but that's just one more app to learn!).

6. Lotza

Lotza Guest

I've been using Kerio 2.1.5 for a couple years now and it's the best all around firewall I've seen. Tried all of the free ones (approx 10 tested) out there I could find, and trial versions of the others. Kerio blew them all away every time. One of the issues facing most of the firewalls on the market is that they're good inbound, and a massive black hole outbound. Kerio is great both ways and alerts you to bi-directional traffic. You chose if it gets in or out. It also stealths ALL your ports, which none of the others do. You can set it to not respond to pings and you become lost in the vastness of the internet. Wanna test some firewalls and your os in general? Try www.grc.com and use the shields up test, leaktest, decombobulator, etc. If you're running XP, you best get your butt there YESTERDAY. You're a security leak lookin for a hacker!!!!! Then go to www.practicallynetworked.com, click on security and take their various challenges. You can put any firewall thru some pretty severe attacks (non lethal) and see how it performs. Kerio 2.1.5 blew 'em all away! Why should you or I pay $40 or more for one when the best one out there is free? For Anti Virus the best free one out there can be found at www.avast.com. Updates continually and you only have to register like every 14 months. In over 2 years, I've never gotten a thing from them and I'm running their AV on 6 different computers. Not a peep out of them, so don't be afraid to register thinking they're gonna spam ya. Just ain't so. And the AV is top notch too. I certainly won't pay for something when the free version is better, and it is by far IMHO. I use Kerio, Avast, Winpatrol, MRUBlaster, A2 squared, Spybot, Ad Aware, Regseeker, Spyware Guard, and Spyware Blaster. Rock solid and total cost of $0.00! Can anyone else beat that? There's been many an attempt, but none successful! Cudo's to the authors of all the software listed. Awesome job! The competition (those attempting to lure our money from our pockets) should stand up and take notice. Then again, they don't really care about true security nearly as much as the bottom line. So very, very sad indeed.

7. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Another site that will give your system a more thorough checking than just a port scan is Security Space. You can get a "no risk" audit there which is quite comprehensive. You do have to register but they don't spam you, unless you call a newsletter with useful info spam, which you can opt out of. They also have tests for specific firewalls and known vulnerabilities in several of them. It's well worth spending a couple hours there and going over your system thoroughly. All single tests are free. Single Firewall Tests.
    A good companion to Kerio 2.1.5 is System Safety Monitor. Registry monitoring, application monitoring/control, much, much more. Too much to list. Beta, but very configurable and powerful. Free while in beta.
    Lotza,
    Your list is quite similar to mine, a few additions and substitutions, but the same $0 pricetag.
    Rick

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.