Keeping a novice safe online

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Gullible Jones, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

On Debian if there is persistence on the USB stick ---- you could place an executable shell script on the desktop and then a simple click on it would work. They run super well inside a terminal. Let me give you a simple example of an executable shell script I use to update my debian VM's. If you need a hand with setting up a shell script let us know. Virtually anything you can manually run in a terminal can be handled this way.

#! /bin/sh
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove
    read -p "*** press Enter to close this terminal ***" nothing

This is not fully automatic but one click makes it virtually the same. The last line (totally optional of course) simply makes the terminal wait for me to click enter once I see the process has run to my satisfaction.

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

@Palancar

Err... I mean without adding persistence. Persistence slows things down hugely. But thanks anyway...

3. guest

guest Guest

Chrome + Shadow Defender + Adguard + HMPA

Chrome = it's good for security
    SD = now if she don't install anything, set it on boot (eventually create a folder on another partition and add it to SD exclusion in case she want save docs), if on-demand explain her how she should use it.
    Adguard for desktop = quite good to remove ads before they reach her browser, add some of the built-in filters, it has also some antimalware features.
    HMPA = anti-exploits, keystroke encryption, etc...

eventually add lastpass, easy to use.

should be enough.

4. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Pretty much the same setup I've got on all of our windows 10 machines. Got to say chrome runs very smooth even in SD on windows 10. Exception being that I went with malwarebytes anti-exploit (free). When I start working again, I'm considering a paid license, but will also check out HMPA.

5. guest

guest Guest

yep this is a basic user-friendly and quite very safe setup. I used to do this on some friends and "willing-to-pay-for-good-security" customers machines. barely get any distress calls after.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.