Keep on waiting or buy Ewido now?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by iken, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iken

iken Registered Member

After months (or was it years?) of waiting for TDS-4 I'm wondering if it's worth the wait (WHEN?) or can I just go and buy Ewido?

I allready have TDS-3 btw...

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that it's a very good choice!

The ewido doesn't protect you only against Trojans, but all the Malware (Hijackers, Spyware, Worms, Dialers, Trojans and Keyloggers) ;)

They have a good support, and making a great job to provide a great product...

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Whether or not you buy EWIDO is up to you - but in my opinion, you're already covered more than well enough by TDS-3.

I purchase anti-trojan programs as I can afford them, but TDS-3's exe protection is always loaded and running in addition to anything else residing in the SYSTRAY here at any given time.

I'm sure that TDS-4 will be the cat's pajama's when it rolls out - but I certainly don't feel vulnerable because I'm still running TDS-3.

Personally, I think that DCS should have just not said anything about TDS-4 until it was actually ready - they'd have saved themselves a lot of grief about this subject.

Just my humble opinion. Pete

4. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

I for one couldn't wait and bought ewido though I would have liked to compare it against TDS-4 before making that decision.

That's true. I know that there is a free upgrade policy from 3 to 4 and TDS-3 is good, but I made my decision because there wasn't any release date for TDS-4 (and it seemed to have been pushed back several times - at least that was the impression I got) and I needed memory protection now (at least I thought I did).

Would I have bought TDS-3 if I didn't know they were releasing TDS-4? Maybe. Because while I was waiting for TDS-4 to be released, I did more research and decided to try other products. So the impulse buying factor for TDS-3 was gone. Anyway, it's maybe just me. If I like a product, I'd buy it a week into the trial period.

Cheers

5. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

less then 11 days ...

;)

6. GoEwido

GoEwido Guest

TDS-4 is just a pipe dream, it's been for the past few years so just screw it and go EWIDO at least they update.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I have never purchased a DCS product and probably never will because they are all too expensive in my opinion, but that being said, I would rather a company wait, no matter how long that wait has to be, and get it right. I wish more companies would do that.

Acadia

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I have moved this TDS vs. Ewido comparison to the proper forum.

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I have TDS-3, Ewido, BOClean, TrojanHunter and KAV 4.5. all purchased at different times for different reasons. IMO, KAV and TDS-3 Exec running in real-time is probably all you need. I would also run ProcessGuard.

If you cannot run TDS-3 Exec in real-time (as in my case), then Ewido would provide just a smidgeon of extra protection, assuming that you run TDS-3 on a regular basis to check things out. I run Ewido in real-time. So far, it has not trapped anything in real-time. During on-demand scans it has picked up some not so harmful cookies.

If you are not running KAV - then maybe Ewido will provide more overall protection than TDS-3 Exec in real-time. But this is just a guess. Ewido and TDS-3 would overlap in some areas, TDS-3 giving better protection, while Ewido does scan for other types of malware that are really not within TDS-3's territory - e.g. certain types of spyware.

Rich

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Right on ...on both accounts!! To expensive. And wait until it's right; not a second earlier. ;)

11. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I have to respectfully disagree that TDS-3 is overpriced. The software has found some very nasty trojans that others couldn't. Beyond that, the support staff has helped me out of some very bad situations. The time that they have spent with me more than compensates for any money that I have used to purchase their products.

What's more, I know that the money I spend is being well invested in new products such as ProcessGuard which is god-sent. While MS diddles around with their hokey Windows XP "fixes" and their less than impressive attempts in the malware market, I have come to really respect DiamondCS and others .. such as KAV, ESET, Ewido, etc. for making real attempts to close down the gaping holes that Microsoft has left for the bad guys to take advantage of.

However, I do very much agree with notion that delaying purchases of any new product - DiamondCS or otherwise - is probably a good idea. Kaspersky certainly has had its set of problems by bringing out 5.0 far too prematurely. It took a while for ProcessGuard to find its footing. Ewido is a better product now than it was six months ago.

Besides my investment in Giant, which I somewhat regret and probably jumped the gun on, I am pretty happy with "investing" in companies such as DiamondCS. And while I am at it, I would like to thank other companies such as TerabyteUnlimited (DOS Image copying) and the "original ZoneAlarm), for really saving my butt many times. :D

If I have any complaints, I would say that 99.99% of them would be aimed at the real "bad guy" which I believe is MS for causing all of these problems for so many people because they apparently don't care, as long as they make money, and apparently can get away with it as long as they make money. It IS a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world. ;)

Rich

12. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

richf,

actually, i thought that kav and tds would overlap a lot more. doesn't kav detect trojans as well?

i did read a report by someone somewhere who did some tests that showed kav's trojan detection being much better than tds.

anyway, i'd prefer tds because of the lower memory usage and faster scanning on my old 1.7 INTC, although due to budget concerns, i haven't bought any of them.

think i should be safe with PG plus and ewido plus thus far.

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I totally disagree with overpricing:
    is 50 dollars too much to protect a 2000 dollar (or more) system?
    Are free upgrades too expensive? I never ever got from not any other company free upgrades, maybe a nice price for existing customers but never for free!
    TDS is ok, nothing to fix in that anymore, no conflicts, just a good product for the protection and the whole set of other very handy tools.
    And remember, you're upgraded for free, so not any reason to delay any purchase for that one.
    TDS is an addition to other products like NOD32 or KAV for instance, an extra layer in security.
    We don't know TDS-4 yet, we might delay possible purchase of other AT products till we know if we still need them.

For completing the protection make sure to have in addition ProcessGuard.

That large TDS radius database has detection for so many kinds of malware and if you still are not sure about a file or it is not detected submit the nasty and wait for expert advice.

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I would have purchased not one, but two DCS products a long time ago if they had the same common sense policy as BoClean: you buy it, put it on as many pcs as you want IN YOUR HOME. :mad:

Acadia

15. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have Ewido and TDS. Cant say which is better. I would guess that since TDS is an old package now, trojans may have been written to counter its protection.

I cant see why DiamondCS dont give some indication as to where they are in the development of TDS4. Any of us who work on large projects can have some reasonable idea as to when it will complete. Will it be a year or a week? give us some indication - he honest as this guesswork makes many believe there will never be an update.

No need to give away what will be in the new version - just let us know roughly when it will be ready.

16. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Ahhhhhhhh i can't stand it :eek: here we go again :rolleyes:

17. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi jaytee,

Yes, I am sure that KAV and TDS-3 overlap quite a bit. What I have found is that while many of the ATs have similar "breadth" of search, TDS-3 seems to provide a "deeper" search so as a result it may find nasties that the others might miss. Personally, if I had to make a choice, I would probably keep TDS-3, rather than Ewido, as my backup on-demand scanner for KAV, especially with the very much "hands-on" support I have received from TDS-3 and otherrs such as Pilli on this forum. Just my own personal experiences.

Rich

18. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

yes TDS-3 is getting way too old, I had a few trojans that I"ve sent to DiamondCS becuase TDS-3 did not pick them up (KAV with XBASES did). (TDS was up to date). IT happened on few instances. Then there are those instances that a trojan just completelly nukes the TDS-3 process and then infects your system. I know that they have process Guard but that's not part of TDS-3 and that will supposedly be a part of TDS-4 (yet another reason for TDS-4 to come out NOW). Once the TDS-3 gets nuked then you can't run it in normal windows you have to go to safemode and even then I can't run it since it might be a rootkit so there I have to run an ERD commander and hunt down the registry keys from there (without TDS-3 help since it can't run in ERD enviroment).
    So yeah TDS-3 is way outdated for today's threats. If you have a real threat TDS-3 won't get it. AGABOT and IRCBOT that's nothing that's everyday plain old .AAC .BBC generated bots from a bot gen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.