Keep getting: Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dkhuon, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkhuon

dkhuon Registered Member

While using True Image 8.0, build 937) to explore image file made by my old laptop (under the same True Image version and build), I keep getting this message "Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archive". And the process get aborted.

When I still have my old laptop, I had no problem exploring this image. Now that this laptop is gone ... What can I do o_O

Note: both accounts I used to backup and explore this image are member of the "Administrators" group.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dkhuon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please be aware that in order to mount an image archive as a virtual drive by means of the embedded Explore Image tool all volumes of this image archive should reside in the same folder. Therefore if the image archive you try to explore is spanned over several CDs\DVDs then you should copy all files from all discs to one folder on the hard drive (any internal, external or network drive) and only after that start a mounting process.

If that's not the case then please verify this image by means of the Check Image tool and see the result. If the image verifies as corrupted then I'm afraid it can not be mounted as a virtual drive by means of the embedded Explore Image tool.

Please note that in order to verify\restore the image archive spanned over several CDs\DVDs you should insert the last created CD\DVD first (disc that contains the last volume of the image archive) and then follow the wizard's instructions.

If that's not the case either and your image archive verifies successfully then please provide us with the following information:

- Where do you store your image?

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Make a screen shot of the latest screen of the Explore Image wizard which contains the operation scenario (see the example);

- Run "regedit" command and let us know the data lines of the below registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

- Download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0, try mount this image archive as a virtual drive by means of the embedded Plug Image tool (in fact the same as Explore Image in version 8.0) and inform us about the result.

Please also do the following:

- Download SetupApiLog.zip, unpack it and run in order to add the information to the Windows registry;

- Delete \Windows\setupapi.log and reboot the computer;

- Reproduce the problem and collect the setupapi.log file created;

- Let us know whether there is a delay after hitting Proceed and getting the error message.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  3. dkhuon

dkhuon Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. Here the info you requested:
    1. Images directory: F:\Backup - all images are stored in this same directory which on a USB Hard Drive (no problem to access it).
    2. my Acronis version and build number is: version 8.0 build 937.
    3. Acronis Report screen shot: see attached.
    4. my registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters: snapman HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters: VolSnap snapman timounter
    5. Modify registry (per SetupApiLog.zip): no change in delay after hitting "Proceed", as always, it took a few minutes before I get the "Cannot Assign a drive letter.." message.
    6. Download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0: NO. I am afraid to install a new one, considering all seeming problems reported in this forum.

I will send this problem to Tech Support as suggested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.