Keep DI-604 or use ATT Uverse Router for Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Chamlin, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Am having AT&T's Uverse installed in the morning and need to decide whether to keep my DLink router in the line with the AT&T modem/router (which they say has a firewall), or just trust the Uverse unit (model unknown).

Software protection includes: FDISR v3.21.205, Online Armor (paid) and NOD32 2.7.

Input requested. Thanks!

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    If you use your old DLink...you'll end up double NAT'ing your connection...so you'll get a performance drop...as well as the quirkiness when running some online apps across double NAT.

Depending on what speed package you have..the DLink may become a bottleneck also...since it's an older and slower model compared to todays generation of broadband routers.

AT&T uses 2Wire units for their uVerse packages where I live. I've never been fond of the 2Wire products....but with uVerse you're pretty much stuck with having to use it. It is a full router/gateway..running NAT for you with an additional firewall. AFAIK you cannot "bridge mode" these units either.

If you had a DLink DGL4500 or DIR655 or something higher end...I'd be trying to find a way to use it instead. But the 604....the 2Wire should outperform it several times.

3. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Thanks for that input. Makes my decision clear.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Im currently behind a Modem that has a router built in.. then it shoots a wireless signal to my other Router which my other computers are connected to the modem has a Nat.. and the router runs its own nat.. never had any problems at all with any apps online or Online gaming with this setup been using it for 2 years now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.