KDE 4.2 update released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Pedro, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Hell you can pop a terminal inside Dolphin.. :ninja:

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

KDE is simply better than Gnome, imo. And with KDE 4.2 this is more true than ever.

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Thanks for the explanations. To date what little experience I have with KDE consists mostly of PCLinuxOS, as I tend to gravitate towards GNOME due to familiarity. Looks like it's time to spend a couple more weekends with Kubuntu and see.

4. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

To add, just incase you are into eye candy, KDE 4 has it's own built-in effects. So no need for Compiz or such. You could argue that XFCE also does this. Kwin, however, is shithot and blows everything else out of the water imo. There's some really nice effects that are really easy to configure. Personally I only use transparency and that's it because I like my resources used for other tasks. But they are there if you like that kind of thing.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Running KDE 4, with the 'GTK apps look like ass fix' :D

Playing with the whole Folder View widget. I have 2 (!), one sits on the taskbar with a filter (!!) to show only folders, and the other on the Desktop with a filter to hide folders.
    I'm now thinking, why am i still using the Desktop folder..

6. chronomatic

My only complaint with KDE4 right now is that the "rssnow" plasmoid is all screwed up. I am on 4.2.3. Anyone else running 4.2.3 and noticed this issue? Rssnow is one of my favorite plasmoids and not having it sux. (There is a bug filed about this issue at KDE Bugzilla).

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yeah, it doesn't display anything, though if you click in it it opens the news item.
    I'm trying "News". Is Rssnow that better?

8. chronomatic

Yes, much better. It's much better looking on the desktop than the "news" plasmoid. And you can add more than one feed to it.

9. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

Will the KDE installation software allow me to create a dual-boot for KDE and Gnome?

I always liked the Ubuntu "Desktop Cube" eyecandy, although for many people it's useless. Never could find a way to put a different wallpaper on each cube-side. Nothing worked!

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It works in KDE 4, though you should be aware there are still annoying bugs.
    And yes, you can have them both installed, provided enough GB's.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I have 2 feeds in News, so you can add more.

Wish i could select which workspace get which widgets!

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Correction, it works on kde3, not in 4. Not in GUI options at least.
    Here's to 4.3 :p

Edit: though there's these "activities" where this is possible, for wallpaper and widgets.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I tried Kubuntu 9.04 last week.
    This is the first time I have tried KDE 4 and if all the reports of how bad previous version of 4 were, then 4.2 is really leaps and bounds better.

Likes: Dolphin. Is a really easy to use alternative for those who do not need all this functionalty of Konq. Eye candy, as much as I disliked the standard theme, I thought the way UI did its effects was subtle and not in your face like some examples of compiz powered desktops and reminded me of the slickness OS-X

Dislikes: Desktop not as responsive as Gnome (with compiz), the standard start menu.
    I was not impressed with Kpackagekit, I can't remember what adept was like as been so long since I last ran KDE, but it took a while to work out how to use it and did not offer as many features as Synaptic.

I am undecided if I like the Plasmoid concept or not. Very different and I did not have time to notice the advantages (or disadvantages) of it.

Though I picked out more dislikes than likes I found my experience of KDE on the positive side.

Issues: I have not investigated, but I suffered various glitches. Kpackagekit would not install sun-java, it would install via apt-get fine.
    Kpackagekit UI crashed/terminated but the app I was installing completed OK.
    The deskbar would crash when resizing the height.
    Intermittent problem of the "Leave" button not working on the menu.

Feature wise it seemed good, usabilty was not generally not an issue (took a bit of time of relearning things I am used to in Gnome).
    It (Kubuntu) just not quiet stable enough for day to day use yet (this may be a problem of kubuntu rather than KDE).

On a sidenote, I do not know if its a KDE specific thing, but I really hate the way Amarok puts tab labels sideways, I personally find it dificult to ready sideways.

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nick, here's an interesting post by Aaron Seigo on a decision he made. It gave me an insight on how they're working and why, perhaps you'll find his blog interesting too.
    http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/03/decision-trees.html

BTW, finding this blog post that i read earlier was really easy with the awesome bar. I just typed seigo in the address bar and presto, that's the one.
    And some folks dare criticize Firefox pfft. :rolleyes:

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what distros have KDE 4.3 beta 1?
    Will be testing in virtualbox so can be a distro in alpha.

looks better than OSX or windows 7 GUI.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Try openSUSE 11.2.

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

KDE 4.2.4 a.k.a. CornRow Released
    http://dot.kde.org/2009/06/02/kde-424-aka-cornrow-released

KDE 4.2.4 Release Announcement

KDE 4.2.4 Changelog

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Looks interesting, although I still think it is a little fuzzy.

KDE 3 looks better, in my humble archaic opinion. Getting KDE to look well takes more effort than Gnome. It's much harder. The only really stunningly beautiful KDE 4 distro is Sabayon 4.1.

Mrk

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like KDE 4 better than 3 now, but I will agree with you on Sabayon, it's a beauty... :thumb:

20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Mrk, couldn't disagree with you more!
    And no terminators, just click split view in Konsole :D

21. chronomatic

I also disagree with Mark. I think KDE 4.x looks much better than both KDE 3.x and Gnome out of the box. The plasmoids make things really convenient. With Gnome you still have to go searching around for a comparable alternative. Screenlets is one, but it is no longer maintained.

Basically KDE just integrates things much better than Gnome and the KDE apps are generally better than Gnome specific apps.

22. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Who be Mark :)

Well, of course it's the matter of taste. I like clear and uncluttered menus. And big fonts. Usually, KDE 4 is hazy and with small fonts. More suitable for the younger generation ... :) Or something ...

Mrk

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

KDE 4.3.0 Beta 2 Out, Codenamed "Crumping"
    http://dot.kde.org/2009/06/10/kde-430-beta-2-out-codenamed-crumping

KDE 4.3 Beta 2 Release Announcement

24. tlu

tlu Guest

I'm obviously not the only one who wasn't able to view my albums in Digikam with KDE 4.3 beta. I'm sure that an update for Digikam will come soon. If you can't wait the solution can be found here. You have to enable

deb-src http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main restricted universe multiverse

in your sources.list. The compilation takes quite a while (about 30 minutes with my Core2Duo 3 GHz), but it worked for me.

EDIT: You can also try

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

first - this might also help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  25. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Release Candidate for KDE 4.3.0 Out
    http://dot.kde.org/2009/07/01/release-candidate-kde-430-out

KDE 4.3 RC1 Release Announcement

And for those interested, on 28th Seigo posted a KDE 4.3 Plasma Overview Screencast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.