KaZaA poisoned with salted files?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Prince_Serendip, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

KaZaA poisoned with salted files?

Is there a conspiracy to flood the KaZaA file-sharing network with bad files?

In recent weeks, several Reg readers have told us of a growing pattern of 'looped', incomplete MP3 files (posing as full tracks) being offered for download on KaZaA.com. In other instances, songs are intentionally misnamed.

One reader had to download 63 tracks, and then sort through the salted and mislabelled files in order to successfully download all the songs from an album containing 12 songs.

Read more.....

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The never-ending saga with kazaa continues!I was in a forum today where a poster said he/she has a friend that was served papers for downloading a music file and 2 movies.According to this poster,the user was given a court date for each incident 2 months after the fact.The poster said it came from antipiracy@Sony Music.Sounds a little unbelievable.But the way things are going with kazaa,I wouldn't be surprised if it is true!Man! am I glad that I don't use any p2p sites.

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

One way or the other. Mind you, without accusing anyone, this does work very well for the record companies. To them this must almost seem to good to be true :blink:
    I downloaded a movie the other day, just so I had a backup copy, ofcourse:). Just under 800 MB and all I got was a black screen for 90 minutes. It could be that there are a few users who think it is fun to do this sort of thing, but more and more people will be scared away, that much is sure.

Regards,

Pieter

4. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

I've been hearing rumbles about this sort of thing for quite a while. They're called easter eggs by the person who supposedly first came up with the idea.
    In his case, he was spreading songs by his wife renamed to files likely to be shared.

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I remember an article in the newspaper about that.

There also was a guy who set up several pcs to share songs where the first 30 seconds was the actual song...but after that you would get 2 minutes of a repeating "coo coo" sound. (A little on the strange side ;), but I guess the guy got what he wanted.)

-Javacool

6. root

root Registered Member

I have been expecting the RIAA and the motion picture org from hell to start infiltrating and planting all kinds of nasties in the P2P systems for a long time now. I really don't think they are all going to be content with waiting until they get the official go ahead from their payed lackys in Washington, complete with Darth Bushs' stamp of approval.
    To be on the safe side, I have never indulged in the riches of the P2P culture. I fear one of these days, many participants are going to find their names on some very undesirable lists. I know there is safety in numbers, but as technology changes, there is going to be less and less safety in ever growing numbers.
    Lately, Kazaa lite has had the reputation for being "safe". I don't expect that to last long at all.
    More signs of the times. Heavy sigh! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.