kav vs. mcafee in resource usage

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rug, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The differenceof speed between AH and normal heuristics depends a lot of what you are scanning.
    On my windows/system folder time with normal heuristics level standard 5 sec, with AH 12 sec. ratio of 2.4
    On a folder containing no executable files the times are identical.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well you should know that heuristic is heuristic and there cannot be two types of the same. This Advanced Heuristic is just extension to normal heuristic part.
    Normal Heuristic checks attachements,while the Advanced heuristic checks for potentially unsafe mail content like iFrames and common "exploits" that can autoexecute over preview pane in Outlook Express for example. Thats why you encounter this only in IMON where you actually encounter such threat.
    Nevermind i'm not a dev of NOD32 so i wont say i am right...

3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear RejZor, heuristics is not just heuristics. its a huge concept used in almost every field of science. last time when i used a heuristic technique was the inclusion of Expert System in a software. its heuristics too and also the Neural Network part of the F-Prot's engine. i think the latest AntiVir heuristics is based on Spectral based heuristics because some months ago they were BETA testing it. NOD32 AH also has a generic unpacker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.