kav slow?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by waters, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

Hi
    I have been trialing quite a few antivirus programes .
    I am now convinced kav is right for me .
    I liked nod alot also but on my system it slowed me down more than kav.
    Yet on this site the general advice i read is kav is slow nod is fast .
    Even on its own forum users have reported slowdown issues.
    I like the idea of the advanced heuristics,and the demand scan is twice as quick as kav,but for me kav has less impact with realtime scaning

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Actually KAV 5.0 is really light with a relatively new PC (purchased in 2001 or better)...KAV is slow when you do an On-Demand scan because KAV has the best unpacker and does a thourough scan of your machine.

3. sard

sard Registered Member

When I used to use NOD32 there were a few specific applications it had trouble with. Skype and its huge exe was one of them. NOD32 seems to continually scan files that are in use unlike a lot of AVs (such as Dr.Web) that only scan files the first time they are accessed when a system is booted and only rescans them if they are changed in anyway.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

A lot depends upon your software/hardware mix and whether you have removed ALL traces of previous version of KAV/other AV's. Moreover, IMHO, it is better to install any AV on a relatively 'fresh' Windows System without any other AV's installed ;)

Further, with KAV 5 Personal, the recommended default settings can cause problems, particularly if you run the IDS system together with your software firewall.

There are a number of tweaks you can carry out after rejecting the default settings;

http://www.ice-kav.com/kavtun.php
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=67140

5. waters

waters Registered Member

Sorry i probably didnt make it clear.
    My slowdown was caused by nod .
    Now i am useing kav 5 personal speed is increased ,my computer now responds instantly with no slight delay ,like it was with nod .

6. Blackcat

My above post was for any users reporting a slowdown with KAV 5 Personal.

As long as you are happy with your present AV ;)

7. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi,

In regards to KAV 4.5 Pro. Is there more tweaks to thigthen it up but still not slowdown computer performance? I'm already excluding large files such has mpg, avi, asf, mp3.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

8. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Like to understand that KAV Series 5 would be less impact in our Systems...?

KAV is a very good AV but some times use many resources and put slow the systems.....In your experinces KAV 5 ( Personal and PRO ) with the Modifications msut be same at AVAST, McAfee 8i, Dr. Web....I like KAV but I am a fe worried about the slow my system.....We have laptops all are Pentium IV and Centrino with 512MB or more.....But really don't know...One suggest ?

Thank you and Sorry I have not Good english.

9. Firecat

If you have 512MB RAM then KAV (or just about any other scanner) will work just fine for you - just make sure you dont use the iStreams - its not really required anyway.

KAV 4.5 was the resource hog, KAV 5 works very well, try it. You'll be pleased.

10. larouse

Thank's....Personal or PRO o_O?? Personal 5.0227 or Pro 5.020 o_Oo_O Or Other more later o_O??

11. Firecat

I'd say Personal 5.0.227 as Personal is good enough to meet most users' needs and Pro v5.0.20 does not include the IDS/Mini-firewall module...So if you have a separate firewall, go for Pro if you need its features.

Pro has an Inspector module which checks file integrity as well as a 'broader' email protection (I havent seen a single occasion where this showed) and better MS Office protection, thats about all.

12. Blackcat

On my systems, some of which are older than your laptops, KAV 5 runs nearly as light as Dr Web and McAfee Enterprise.

I would suggest trying KAV Personal and if you see any slowdowns, try the tweaks previously mentioned; http://www.ice-kav.com/kavtun.php.

Make sure you have previously uninstalled, not disabled any other AV's on your machine before installing KAV 5. Good Luck!

13. larouse

[QUOTE

I would suggest trying KAV Personal and if you see any slowdowns, try the tweaks previously mentioned; http://www.ice-kav.com/kavtun.php.

QUOTE]

My apologizes but I am not expert in this themes....If I do these Changes I keep the KAV quality in detection rate o_O? Or would be less....The situation is that We have at Home Page in Internet and the page has the Email address and all days received many Emails with and with out Virus and are looking at Good Rate AV...If I use the tweaks the KAV keep the quality ?

Thank you,

14. Firecat

You will yourself have to define which ones you have to exclude...pretty complex job. If you're looking for email protection I'd rather say you keep the recommended, default or high security settings, but first try it and see if it is working slow.

If you use the tweaks the file types you defined will NOT be scanned, putting you in potential risk..but then it is tough to go out and tell the program which file types to NOT scan...

So first try it out with max security settings, then with default settings, see how it works, then report here, we'll work out somethink, OK?

Well then :)

Best regards,
    Firecat

15. Firecat

If you use the regfix, it will not scan your PC on startup, this is OK as you can always scan later, so I approve the regfix on Blackcat's page.

16. Blackcat

I don't think Kaspersky or ICE Systems would recommend these settings if they compromised security.

As regards email scanning, if you do select the 'High Speed' setting, it stops scanning outgoing messages, but incoming messages are obviously still scanned.

But if after installing KAV, you find no slow-downs then you may not need to change the default settings of the KAV Real-Time Monitor ( the on-access Guard in the system tray ).

17. larouse

Yesterday I installed KAV Personla 5.0.227 Trial in two Laptops:

IBM T42 Centrino 1.6 GHZ and 2 GB in RAM
    SONY VG-B100 Centrino 1.6 GHZ and 1.5 GB in RAM

In the IBM I installed KAV with Defaul configuration just disable Istreams Results : Run Slow, I went at Configurations and Used " High Speed ", Results : Run Slow....Of course that was Turn On / Off and Running about 8 hrs.....Finally My IBM System Run Slow.

In the SONY Did the same but Used the Files posted here to increase the speed.....but my Laptops was running slow.

Slow compared with previous McAfee 8i in IBM and AVAST 4.5 in SONY....The performance with KAV was low ( SPEED ) in both Laptops.....Think that I can not use KAV with my systems.....Now the ask:

Beteween McAfee 8i and AVAST How would have better detection ? of Course Personal Opinions.

Thank you,

18. Firecat

Avast! does not have heuristics, and anyway McAfee is far better than Avast as McAfee is almost as good as KAV in detection of malware.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! uses heuristics only in Internet Mail provider (mail scanning).
    But Alwil team is making a surprise for avast! 5.0. Who knows,maybe they'll impliment true heuristics ;) Time will tell :)

20. larouse

Sorry Again and My apologizes I am not Expert and are not my themes:

How is heuristic o_O?

Sorry may be is a Stupid ask but I don't know anything about it

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

22. Firecat

Heuristic scanning is a method of scanning used by current antivirus products using patterns and behaviour checking which have been seen with previous viruses. The file is executed in a virtual environment, and the AV checks whether it is doing some activity which is defined as 'virus-like' by the developers. Different developers have different definitions to 'virus-like' behaviour, so the heuristic detection varies across AV products.

Some products have a 'Sandbox' in which the full effect of a virus can be observed leading to extremely accurate heuristic detection.

Regards,
    Firecat

23. larouse

Thank you very much for the Information about Heuristics...with RejZor Information ( above ) are asying that AVAST has Herustics to examinate Email, but does not In Internet Traffic ( Home pages ) is correct ? But Think that principal infections are under Emails or Not ?

Thank you,

24. Firecat

Yes, RejZoR meant that heuristics are used on email scanning only with Avast! AV. Most infections occur through email anyway but there are many which occur through simple website browsing, so its generally a good idea to have heuristics for file scanning too.

Yes you are correct, Avast! will not use heuristics for file/webpage scanning, but I think it has a script checker which should give you some amount of protection against new virii.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.