KAV scanning time

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rasheed187, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Alternate Data Streams don't work on Win9x right? So I don't have to deal with it when uninstalling KAV? I got scared for a moment LOL.

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Correct, it is a "feature" of NTFS. So even XP users that kept FAT32 won't have this problem.

4. Rasheed187

Question, does KAV 4.5 use less resources than KAV 5? I'm going to check it out after my trial period has ended. I wish it was more like Bitdefender Free, it loads quickly and doesn't use a lot of resources.

And is there a way to exclude a file from being scanned, I don't want sc keylog2 to be identified as a trojan! Because everytime I startup KAV I will have to click "skip" about 20 times, even though realtime protection is disabled!. :(

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Pretty identical also here with that... I have a lot less actual files [about 220,00] but I have a vast amount [over 1200] of packed/zipped/rarred/sit formatted files some up to 300Mb and it takes around 45-50 mins also. Never been over an hour and that's with all options on, including extended data bases.

Best thing, follow Lisa's advice. :)

TAS

6. According to their publicity Kav 5 uses 50% less resources than the previous version. I have a pedestrian PIII 450 MHZ 256 RAM and the real time scanner is no problem even on maximum although I mainly used the recommended medium level. The weekly on demand scan seems to use more so I let it scan without any other applications running. The only real problem I have is that once Kav 5 loads on startup I think it automatically scans all the other applications and processes which have also started which uses up lots of resources until it stops a few minutes later. Im not sure if this is actually what is happening on startup or even if this can be disabled perhaps others more familiar with Kav 5 can answer this.

7. Rasheed187

Wow, then KAV 4.5 most be really a resource hog. But why are numerous people claiming that 4.5 is better than 5.0? I don't get it. For me resource usage is a big deal, since I'm on a Pentium 2 with only 128 MB RAM. :(

And I agree, I don't think KAV should do a scan if it starts up, unless you want it to, it's really annoying. When it's up and running it does work smootly though.

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Rasheed187, under "configure real-time protection", click troubleshooting , there is an excludeoption there.

9. AgentX

AgentX Registered Member

KAV 5.x uses 50% less resources than the previous version? I don't buy it. I hardly pay
    any attention to the hypes and propaganda posters. Kaspersky Labs may claim such
    phenomenal speed gain on some 1024-bit Conceptual(TM) HyperPC with oodles of Light-
    Speed RAM, but it surely doesn't outperform 4.5.x on regular PCs.

I have tested both Personal Pro 4.5.x and Personal 5.x versions on an old Celeron 400
    PC with 256MB SDRAM. Frankly speaking, version 5.x slowed down the machine by
    extending the startup time to a few more seconds. I also noticed significant delay in
    loading of applications. While the newer version may be using latest engine updates
    and updated unpackers, the lack of customization makes it almost unusable on older
    machines.

KAV Personal Pro 4.5, on the other hand, offers extensive customization and tweakings
    with the help of which an experienced user may choose wisely what to scan and what
    not to. I can only hope that KAV Labs will release 5.x Pro version offering the same or
    even better customization than its older version.

Rasheed, I would rather advise persons with older machines to think about getting
    DrWeb, NOD32 or F-Prot for Windows antiviruses, given their super performance and
    low system requirements.

Regards,
    AgentX

10. Rasheed187

Thanks for the feedback AgentX, I will also check out KAV 4.5, about the other av's I'm not so sure, resources usage is important, but if KAV is better in spotting trojans I will choose for KAV of course. :)
    And Don Pelotas, I hope I will be able to solve my problem, strange I didn't see this option, but I will check it out. ;)

11. Don Pelotas

Rasheed187, it's in the bottom of the window you open when clicking "configure real-time protection" ( or "on-demand scan" fore that matter).I hope this helps.

By the way i think you should stick with kav 5 or 4.5, they are both good and have served me well thru the years. I guess i am one of the lucky one's in that kav 5 have giving me no trouble whatsoever, it uses around 15 mb memory on my rather antequated duron 850 :)

Regards
    Don Pelotas

12. Rasheed187

Well be damned, I have disabled all the realtime protection options, I even have added the files to the exclusions list and still KAV will bug me about sc keylog2, so I have removed the app (not KAV). Seriously Kaspersky need to do something about this. :thumbsdown:

13. Don Pelotas

I agree, it's not good if exclusion isn't working properly. However i do think it's good that kav detects it in first place. Several av's detects this as a keylogger/trojan. :)

Pest Patrol

14. KAV5 takes up a lot less memory than 4.5. My memory usage with v5 was generally from ~3MB minimized to ~8 MB with the interface open. I tried the KAV5 Pro beta and it used considerably more memory (without giving me significant extra options ) so I stuck with the home version. The problem with KAV5 is that it keeps filling up my restore points by adding every file it scans until the SR service shuts down. This has to do with the streams data issue I presume.

15. How is KAV 4.5 Lite different from the normal 4.5?

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

KAV Lite has much more pre-set configuration options than KAV Personal and was the cheapest version, mainly marketed at newbies. Install, set and forget.

Since the new KAV 5, the Lite version has been dropped by Kaspersky from the new lineup but it is still available from some of their reseller sites; http://www.www.nest-soft.co.uk/kaspersky/kavlite.htm and definitions will still be available for the foreseeable future.

17. Don Pelotas

Kaspersky is aware of the problem, it should be fixed in the next product opdate (sep/oct) :)

18. A defragmented HD reduces full scan time. My normal scan time was about 1 hour which reduced to about 40 minutes after a defrag.

19. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Very good point. Spends less time sorting the chaff from the wheat if your system is optimised to begin with. [Currently mine says 1 file defragmented, at 0.009% :D O&O Defrag last night.]

I just checked my 4.5 mem specs. With the 3 running processes KAV has going, mine totals around the 15mb which is what someone else in here said. For me, that's nothing, I'd rather have it using a bit more to do the job.

TAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.