KAV personal/AVP

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BlackCat, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackCat

BlackCat Guest

I have AVP/KAV as my main AV scanner. I recently updated from AVP 3.5 to KAV 4.0 but was not very impressed by the new version. Despite a Pentium 4 and 512mB ram my laptop slowed considerably with the new KAV Personal, even after updating to the latest version on the Kaspersky website. In addition the on demand scan speed was considerably slower. Apparently these are general problems with KAV 4 and I know from several postings at wilders that it is now considered as bloatware.

Since I have the new keyfile for the new version and would like to revert back to the faster, leaner AVP 3.5 can someone answer the following questions. First, is AVP 3.5 compatible with XP Pro(my operating system). Kaspersky have told me no but I have read some posts where the Swiss version of AVP 3.5 is supposed to be compatible. Secondly, is my new keyfile sent for KAV 4 also useable with
    the older AVP? Third, do other people find the new program a drain on their systems? If I cannot find some improvement I will use KAV solely as a backup on demand scanner and use another less resource hungry one as my main scanner(Dr Web?) .

Finally as this is my first post to your site I would just like to thank wilders and all their moderators for all their excellent help and knowledge found here. Long may it continue.

2. controler

controler Guest

I am running KAV on an Intel PIII 500 with an Intel SE440BX-2 mobo ,Windows ME and it flys... I really don't understand why you would want to revert back.

Application name: Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite (Beta 2)
    Application version: 4.1.0.37

3. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Not officially but Swiss version works OK under XP! I used it myself, works well! Uninstall may cause some problems!

It should!

You are not alone! KAV 4.xx uses (Windows XP,P4 ) around 66 Mb of memory! This includes running of CC! This is not acceptable! Is KAV resource hungry? You Bet!

Chart: AntiVirus product resource usage (default installation): (consider it as a bonus)

KAV Pro,Personal- More then 60 MBs...More impact on CPU
    KAV 3.5 (AVP) - 2.7 MB...no impact on CPU
    DrWeb - 2.4 MB...Less or no impact on CPU
    Norton AV - 15 MB...More impact on CPU
    RAV - 18 MB...Less or no impact on CPU
    Sophos - 15 MB...No impact on CPU
    Command AV- 10-12 MB...Less or no impact on CPU
    F-Secure - 13 MB...Less or no impact on CPU(at least PIII 800 and Above).
    F-Prot - 2.2 MB...no Imapact on CPU
    PC-Cillin - 11-16 MB...Less or no impact on CPU
    NOD32 - 12MB...Less or no impact on CPU
    BitDefender - 18 MB... More impact on CPU
    McAfee - 15 MB...More impact on CPU
    AVG - 3 MB...Less or no impact on CPU
    Norman VC - 9 - 12 MB...some impact on CPU

*Tested on Windows XP Pro(Compaq,Dell,Emachine and Vaio) with P3,P4 and above 250 MB of Memory.
    *Please keep in mind that every system is different, and you may find this information totally incorrect !

Welcome and Thank You!

Technodrome

4. Technodrome

And you are not running Windows XP!!!

Technodrome

5. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Guest

BlackCat,
    This may sound silly, but did you install the patch found on the KAV website for KAV 4? I was trying out this program on my machine (running XP Pro, Athlon 1 Ghz, 384 mb ram, etc.) and it slowed it to a stand still (without the patch). I uninstalled, and then reinstalled, installing the patch the second time and found significant improvement. However, it was still slower than 3.5.

The Swiss site told me that I could try the 3.5 version on mine. I did, and it seemed to work fine, but I just feel a bit uneasy about using yesterday's AV technology. So, I'm looking around. Currently trying NOD32 - very fast, not hard on resources.

But, as you already have a license for KAV 4, I'd consider trying 3.5 if the patch doesn't make things acceptable. Swiss site said that there's just one problem XP users might encounter when using it, which had to do with Microsoft Networking.

This was their official reply to my query regarding whether or not 3.5 would work:

'v4 is, in my view, hard on system resources and still seems to have
    occasional problems - I can't fully recommend it.
    v3.5 runs on most XP installations, so maybe you'll have better luck
    with that (known issue - v3.5 doesn't work well if Windows Networking is enabled.' - Gerard Vuille

Hope this helps.
    Jack

6. wizard

wizard Registered Member

7. controler

controler Guest

Yes I run Windows Xp on my HP laptop 1.3 gig celeron and I run Windows ME on my PIII 500.

One cool looking AV forgot here and worth mentioning is AVAST

I like their new beta also ;)

8. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Registered Member

would you happen to have a link for this patch? i looked all over KAVS site and couldnt find it.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Many Thanks to Technodrome, Jack and Wizard for your quick replies. I have now registered since my original post.

I received KAV 4 on CD so I immediately updated from their website, which was Maintenance Pack 4 (which I assume includes the patch in question?). As mentioned my laptop ground to a halt. I should have trialed KAV 4 before renewing my licence but work pressure did not allow this and I wanted to stay with an AV program which was excellent(?) in trojan detection.

I will probably see if I can use the AVP 3.5 and my new keyfile. Although now outdated, it has the same virus database as the newer KAV and more importantly it is not so resource hungry.

I have used Kaspersky for nearly 3 years now and I switched to this after many problems with Norton and McAfee. It was considered then the best AV program on the market but I have noticed that its reputation has started to slip recently. It has crashed down the Virus Bulletin charts the last 12-18 months and other programs have started to snap at its heel. When my licence is up again for renewal I will probably look at Dr Web or Nod32, both of which have received very favorable reviews at your site. Or if I am feeling particularly flushed at Xmas time I may buy a licence for one of these and regulate AVP/KAV to a backup scanner.

I would have considered F-Prot for Windows, which I had as a registered version on one of my older desktops, but after version 3.11b the updater with the program was very inconsistent and for most of the time it would not work!(for me? ). Otherwise I found this little mentioned AV program a very quick scanner with a very small memory imprint, a large virus database and the support is very quick in replying to problems(Although they were unable to fix my updater problems). The annual licence is also very cheap, particularly compared to the new KAV.

10. Technodrome

SpaceMuuBoy ;) get this patch from here ftp://ftp.avp.ru/patches/KAVUpdatePack40_4/English/kavupdatepack40_4eng.exe

But it won't solve the problem! At least didn't help me...

Kaspersky Anti-Virus(TM) - Maintenance Pack 4
    Released: 04.10.2002
    ==================================================

Affected Software:
    * Kaspersky(TM) Anti-Virus Personal / Version 4.0.6.0, 4.0.7.0
    * Kaspersky(TM) Anti-Virus Personal Pro / Version 4.0.6.0, 4.0.7.0
    * Kaspersky(TM) Anti-Virus for Windows Workstations / Version 4.0.5.0, 4.0.7.0
    * Kaspersky(TM) Anti-Virus for MS NT Server / Version 4.0.5.0, 4.0.7.0

The Maintenance Pack does not change a product's version, but only versions of components that have been changed.
    The Maintenance Pack 4 includes all previously released Maintenance Packs.
    Customers of Kaspersky Anti-Virus / Business Optimal and Kaspersky Corporate Suite can install the Maintenance Pack 4 using Kaspersky(TM) Administration Kit.

This Maintenance Pack fixes the following vulnerabilities in the software components:

-Kaspersky Anti-Virus(TM) Scanner Version 4.0.5.35 Released 04.10.2002

Fixes:
    1. The bug occurred when scanning files using mask with more than one mask specified in settings.
    2. The bug occured during handling the Kernel32.dll module when scanning active processes memory.
    3. The bug occurred when deleting some infected archives.

-Kaspersky Anti-Virus(TM) Monitor Version 4.0.5.38 Released 04.10.2002

Fixes:
    1. The bug occurred when deleting some infected archives.

-Kaspersky Anti-Virus(TM) Control Centre Version 4.0.5.13 Released 04.10.2002

Fixes:
    1. The error occuring when quiting Conrol Centre while its configuration window is active.
    2. Default settings for Kaspersky AV Scanner and Kaspersky AV Monitor tasks were optimized.

-Kaspersky Anti-Virus(TM) Mail Checker Version 4.0.5.1 Released 04.10.2002

Fixes:
    1. The bug occurred when receiving letters containing specific attachments: such letters were not displaing by MS Outlook.

Technodrome

11. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Registered Member

thanks for the link. when i tried to install the maintenance pack it said i didnt need it as i already had it. hmmmm

12. robert

robert Guest

Can anyone give the url for the swiss site please , thanks, and would the key for my lite work with a 3.5 also , thanks ,Robert

13. Technodrome

If your KAV version is dated October 09, then patch is not needed!

Technodrome

14. Technodrome

http://www.avp.ch/

I don't now about the key file! Guess U should try!

Technodrome

15. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I tried the swiss version of AVP 3.5 this evening to no effect!!!! It would accept my new keyfile for KAV4 but my computer ground to a halt after I rebooted after installation. Everything was like wading through treacle and this was with or without AVP Monitor running in the background. Much worse than KAV 4!!!! Managed to uninstall in safe mode and everything returned to normal again. Obviously AVP 3.5 not compatible with my machine and its present configuration.

For the present I will run KAV 4 as my backup scanner, trial Dr Web or Nod32, and then choose one of these as my main scanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.