KAV Personal 5.0.325 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

5.0.325 uses a bit more memory thant he previous build on my machine. but the good news is that real time scanner is significantly faster than in the previous version.
    however its worth noting that automatic updates will not work if your firewall is blocking icmp..or so it seems on my machine anyway

2. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

ICMP? ive updated manually so far how i know if it updates does it pop in front of u like Pc cillian or quitely?

3. Unity

Unity Registered Member

quietly , except the animated icon in the taskbar , you won't notice anything.

4. subferno

subferno Registered Member

I just updated to the current version and I dont understand its scanning process.

When I perform an on demand scan, its showing a list of items that have been scanned. Certain items are skipped because they were too "small". Was it doing this before and was it suppose to do that?

Certain files are labeled as ZIP, archive CHM, etc instead of OK when it is scanned. Does that mean that KAV has scanned them and approve of their safety?

5. bob1454185

bob1454185 Guest

Just wondered is Kaspersky as fast as Norton , McAfee and Trendmicro. Friends have told me it is very slow?

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Kav is not actualy slow, it just scans the files very thoroughly . I can do an on demand scan of approxamatly 300.000 objects in fourty five minutes with everything enabled in the scan. That is not to bad. With trendmicro internet security 2005 it takes about the same amount of time. I haven't used Nav in a while so I can't give you an answer on that one.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@ bob1454185 - kav is different on every system but it can be cpu-consuming at times. between the AVs u mentioned, id choose KAV since resource usage is similar but kav offers the best detection.

@subferno - i dont use kav but u may want to check the on-demand settings. what preset are u using? speed, recommended, or maximum?

8. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

How do ppl notice Kav while surfing any slowdowns??or conflicts etc?as for the updates i do hear a POP kinda noise think it's just updated? lol MD

Pc cillian suite funny enuff i didnt notice..unless i was used to it..

9. subferno

subferno Registered Member

I cranked up all my scan settings to MAX.

10. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I'm finding the memory footprint higher than previous version for about the first 10 mins or so, then it settles down to a nice 9-11MB tickover.

The on-demand scanner seems very fast even with max settings - in fact now faster than NOD32 (with all settings/advanced heuristics etc. cranked up also) :p

I hope it hasn't sacrificed any detection abilities with the faster scan.

11. infini

infini Registered Member

Does the registry trick for preventing slowdown at system startup for the version 5.0.227 also works for this version?

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No registry trick, but do this: Settings tab -> configure on-demand scan -> on-demand scan settings (the blue link just above the cancel button) -> disable this three..

Do not scan disk boot sectors
    Do not scan system memory
    Do not scan start up objects

This will disable the startup scan, and yes it is in the on-demand scan settings you have to do this. Disabling the above will fully disable the start up scan but it will also disable the scan of this objects at the full system scan, so you have to uncheck them again when you do a manual scan. :)

The slowdown only takes 1:15 minutes in 5.0.325 on my pc, with the startup scan. ;)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  13. infini

infini Registered Member

Thanks very much! I asked about the registry hack because i remember that there was one for the previous version that disabled some scanning at startup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.