KAV Personal 5.0.325 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 5.0
    Version 5.0.325 Release date: 23.05.2005

Enhancements:

1. Delayed objects processing feature (Treat Infected Files) has been added to the on-demand scan process

2. Fast User Switch mode support has been added

3. Updating module has been upgraded

4. Network search feature has been enhanced and refined

5. The feature of authorization data prompt after an authorization error has been added

6. The feature of exclusions configuration by object name, verdict and by components that use this objects has been added

7. An ability to choose the type of anti-virus database and switch between anti-virus database types without starting the updating process has been added

8. The feature of displaying the list of threats contained in the anti-virus database has been implemented

9. The ability to save, load and restore the initial configuration of Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been added

10. The load on the system imposed when the on-demand scan is started has been reduced

11. An ability to select new objects for scanning (RAM, disk boot sectors, startup objects) has been added

12. An ability to exclude disk boot sectors and startup objects from the scan scope has been added

13. General application statistical data (the total number of files, messages, scripts scanned, number of viruses and suspicious objects detected) has been made available

14. An ability to disable the animation of the Kaspersky Anti-Virus icon in the system tray has been added

15. An ability to disable the incoming mail scan has been added

16. An ability to temporarily disable real-time protection for a specified time or until a specified event occurs (application restart, obtaining connection to the network) has been added

17. A new type of the distribution kit (update) has been added - the size of this kit is reduced by over 50% through excluding the database and some service files. This kit is used for updating existing installations

18. An ability to perform updates from the updates folder with incomplete structure has been added

19. The efficiency of using iCheckerÒÌ and iStreamsÒÌ technologies in the on-demand scan process has been increased

20. A bug that resulted in freezing Microsoft Windows 9x has been eliminated

Known problems:

1. The application freezes when performing a mail scan if a problem occurs when connecting to the Microsoft Exchange server

2. Incompatibility with previous versions of Kaspersky Personal Anti-Spam (up to 1.0.0.25)

3. Limited compatibility with Sygate firewall. In order to solve this problem, disable the "Enable driver protection" option and install an additional utility klimstetup.exe

4. Sometimes a problem occurs when obtaining access to HTTP servers that require online authorization. In order to solve this problem, disable the script monitoring function

5. Incompatibility with the MñÀfee Parental Controls application

6. The feature of updating via FTP proxy servers is not available

7. Incompatibility with Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.5 under Microsoft Windows 9x. In order to solve this problem, upgrade to Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.7

8. Pop-up information messages are not displayed when working under Microsoft Windows NT 4.0

2. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Many Thanks.

How does one update as my version is still 5.0.227. It is updating but only the def files. Will it automatically upgrade the whole program or do I download the new version and overinstall over my old program?

Cheers

Jlo

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You need to download the new version from here. Then you can install over the old program or carry out a clean install of the new version after uninstalling the old.

Unfortunately, no way to disable the startup scan as yet in this version, which has caused relatively long bootup times with some systems :'(

4. jlo

jlo Registered Member

THanks for your help. Just downloaded the file.

Cheers

Jlo

5. snowboard

snowboard Registered Member

Regards,

snowboard

6. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Too bad. That is biggest gripe I have with KAV. That and the update process when I first start up my computer. I'm thinking of removing KAV because of this. :doubt:

7. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

wont there be a registry tweak for the startup scan ? and wasnt the startup update thing supposed to be resolved too ? anyway there may well be another enw version in a week fixing these 2 problems, i think there usually are a few new builds available after a new major build (this was maintenance pack 3 if im not mistaken) before they start working on a new major update

8. ninja_style

ninja_style Registered Member

thanks, i am loving the new kaspersky, it gets better each time. it's working flawless here. it also scans faster.

9. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Got offline to install this new version.
    Just finished and rebooted and it's running great. :)
    It just did its scan today with the previous version, so I'll only know if it scans
    faster coming Saturday. ;)
    I don't mind the startup scan and the update process at all.
    At startup I just go do something else, like taking care of my boys (or something else)
    and having always the latest updates is really needed.
    Once everything is done I really don't have major slowdowns on opening programs or accessing the internet. :)
    It's your choice to remove KAV, but you'll lose its excellent protection too. :doubt:

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Hey, don't laugh. I still am useing Istreams. It scans faster and it doesn't effect my comp at all. ;)

11. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I'm not laughing. :D
    Normally it doesn't affect my PC, but during my scheduled scan it can sometimes slowdown surfing, email and others.
    That's normal, because I experience the same at work using McAfee. ;)

12. Graystoke

Good point Eldar. :) I installed the new version also. Very nice. :)

13. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

My system/startup scan with 5.0.325 was faster then .227, also the updating was extremely quick this time compared to last. I haven't had much time to check more out on this though, as in scan times etc. I did notice the RAM usage was slightly higher, 25MB/19MB idle with fresh reboot.

//Edit//
    Scan times were fairly quick, but what is the deal when requesting support and it gathers all the information from your pc and attaches it to your email, has it always done this? If so, I guess I have never used it before. Just seems asthough it should ask you before it does this because it is deceiving due to the fact you have to scroll down o get to see all this information going out. Not that I have anything to worry about but still.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

The deal is that info on what programs & Windows hotfixes + your key# will be attached so they save time to pinpoint a problem, it has been this way for as long as i can remember with 5.0. :)

15. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Graystoke,

You are certainly not alone. I, and other KAV users are using KAV 4.5 which uses the same detection engine and database as KAV 5.0. In fact, you also would have the supersecure database available to you which is not available in KAV 5.0 Personal. The interface is much different and you may find it not to your liking, but I have been using 4.5 now with great success, as have others as I wait patiently for 6.0, which promises to be a superb product.

If you are interested in trying out 4.5, you can get a copy from ICE Systems. If you need more comments (not everyone will agree with me), you can ask here or on Kaspersky's own forum for more opinions.

Of course, if KAV does not for you, there are other fine products available such as McAfee and NOD32. You have to be happy with your AV if you are going to use it and depend on it. It is your first line of defense.

Cya around,
    Rich

16. Graystoke

Hi Rich

I tried KAV 4.5 a long time ago. I didn't like the interface. Like you said, "You have to be happy with your AV if you are going to use it and depend on it. It is your first line of defense." I liked McAfee, except for the weekly updates, and NOD32. Both are certainly options. But I think I'll stay with KAV 5 for now and see how things go. :)

Graystoke

17. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I guess I didn't explain myself well :)
    I knew why it did it, I just thought it a little intrusive doing so without my permission. o_o

18. gergy

gergy Registered Member

Is there an option in KAV to add a [virus] tag to an email title when a virus is found (to have it sent to a given folder by your mail reader) ?
    Is this foreseen in ver 6 ?

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

That would be very nice ;)

20. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Not necessary for me, because if you create a filter in your email client to look at the headers of your email, you can sort them too. :cool:

All incoming/outgoing mail is scanned and if you look closely to the headers you'll see the following:
    It shows: X-Kaspersky: Checked
    If infected it will show: X-Kaspersky: infected :)

21. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Just an aside, one of the things that I like the best about KAV is its email filtering. It strains viruses from email much like a baleen whale strains krill! :D

22. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

will a new version of kav pro come out soono_O?

and if u have istream and checher enabled does that mean it doesn't scan fullyo_O

23. Don Pelotas

Hi chaos16/Virus_Remover ;)

It depends on what you mean by "soon", if you mean within 1-2 months, then no, it's not coming soon unfortunately.

No. Have a look at what iStreams is/does:http://www.kaspersky.com/faq?qid=156636746. :)

24. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

is this new version any lighter on resources then previous version or am i better off waiting for the 6.0 (2006) version?

25. Don Pelotas

Depends on what you define as lighter, it feels lighter on my pc, which is the most important thing for me, but is slightly higher in memoryuse 10-15mb after it has settled, 5.0.227 usually was under 10 after the startup scan was over, peakmemoryuse is 22mb at startup. :)

P.s. This is with iStreams disabled btw, it might be lower with iStreams.

Last edited: May 26, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.