KAV Lite / Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by GuruGuy, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Where can I download the KAV regcleaner at.......?

Edited: Nevermind.............found it here:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/go/install_uninstall_kav.pdf

2. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Said by Solarpowered Candle:
    However if it does concern you then download the 4.0.7.1 which can provide all these things for you ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/products/release/4.0/English/HomeUser/KAVLite/
    ---------------------------------------

When I click the link you provided, I get a proxy message saying it is read only. Don't know if it's my work computer or if the link is bad..........how did you find this "older version's" location on their website? I'm not an idiot, but I consider the KAV site to be difficult to navigate and find info. Did you find it from within their site or did you have "knowledge" of the files location?

Thanks!

3. Lisa

Lisa AV Expert

If you go to the UK site www.kasperskylab.co.uk/files/homeuser/ you will see all Home users versions there ready to download, many include a trial key tho' won't run as a trial if you have already got a registered version on the pc or have used one previously.

As to time zones, looks most likely explanation as to what the time differences are - I have No idea too confusing to work out whilst doing 20 zillion other things!!!

4. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Thanks Lisa!

5. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Edited to rephrase my question:

Other than what we have discussed here, what are the differences between the older version of lite and the new 4.5 version of lite? Are the unpackers the same, better detection abilities, worse, etc.o_Oo_Oo_O

6. Lisa

Lisa AV Expert

I'll see if they have all this data at HO. I'll let you know.

protection will be the same as they all use same updates.

7. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

I found this "Kaspersky General Release" on the ice forum:

Here's the link: http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3f295e151badffff;act=ST;f=1;t=21
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Here's the quote:

from kaspersky general news

1. Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite 4.5 - More Convenient, More Effective, Easier
    Kaspersky Labs releases a new version of its Anti-Virus Lite software.

Kaspersky Labs, an international data security software developer,
    announces the commercial release of Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite 4.5,
    designed especially to defend home computers and beginner users.

When compared with its predecessor, the just released Kaspersky
    Anti-Virus 4.5 includes a slew of significant internal architecture as
    well as external changes that substantially enhance the software's
    functionality and which make it easier to use.

A completely re-worked program interface makes Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite
    more ergonomic, with the buttons placed more logically, and with a more
    attractive new design and color set. Convenient controls and indicators
    deserve special note. The interface includes only the most necessary
    buttons and indicators: the level of protection, help features,
    anti-virus database updates, scan results reports, scan status
    indicator, and the 'start scan' button. This simple interface combines
    both the anti-virus scanner and the anti-virus monitor, which allows the
    simultaneous management of all program elements from a single point of
    control.

For maximum comfort, Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite offers three
    pre-established scanning levels: Low (checks only the main computer
    components), Medium (optimal level in terms of time to thoroughness
    ratio) High (full check). Choosing which level to use is made by
    pressing the corresponding button, once done the program automatically
    alters all internal settings. Users receive a reliable, convenient and
    very simple-to-use tool for virus protection that requires no extra
    knowledge or time.

Besides the improved look of Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite, the new version
    contains an array of technical enhancements. Firstly, users will notice
    the increased speed, almost three times faster than the previous
    version. When running it decreases overall performance only 8% while the
    majority of other anti-virus products cause, on average, a 25% slowdown.

The new version supports more objects in which it can not only detect
    but also delete viruses. In particular it fixes Microsoft Outlook
    Express email databases and Zip archives. Therefore it enables viruses
    to be deleted from the email storage of one of the most popular email
    programs (Outlook Express) as well as the effective restoring of the
    original contents of Zip files, regardless of the number of times a file
    has been archived. Meaning users get enhanced features for the detection
    and deletion of malicious programs while also benefiting from
    significantly improved performance.

"Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite 4.5 is a universal means of protection for
    personal computers in which simplicity and convenience are effectively
    combined to battle viruses with minimal influence on computer
    performance. The program is foremost intended for the defense of
    personal computers and fits the needs of those who need the most
    required collection of virus counter measures", commented Alexey Kalgin,
    Kaspersky Labs product development manager.
    Registered users of previous versions may download and install Kaspersky
    Anti-Virus Lite 4.5 free @
    ------------------------------------------------------

So it would appear to me from this release that this version DOES HAVE better detection, scanning, support of more object scanning, etc.

8. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Question about uninstalling 4.5 and installing the "older" version.........if I decide to go this route:

After I follow the uninstall directions (listed here: http://www.kaspersky.com/go/install_uninstall_kav.pdf) and delete the files from explorer, then delete the install shield file that starts with "7F5E2", and reboot..................

Upon installing the older version, will it prompt me to enter the key that I already have. I'm assuming that the old key would have been deleted by following all of the uninstall steps above.

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Hi Guruguy. I Live in opposite timezones so Its not that I am being rude lol in replying to your earlier question :)
    I do not wish to say anything out of line here either as the lovely Lisa is kind enough to pop in here and help out . I do suggest you join up at the ice forum though as its a daily wealth of interesting info on Kav products and we are all cruising along on a interesting learning curve.
    You asked about the download link for the 4.0.7.1 . You might try copying and pasting the link onto a new page ,or use the link that Lisa provided ,I agree the kav labs site is rather awkward to find anything. the link I posted comes from a very interesting contributer at the ice forums ( R.L ) who is always worth keeping an eye out for his most excellent early postings regarding beta and trial releases that seem to come way before any one else seems to release them any where else on the net . I have found it rather difficult to find info and they seem to release it once some one else has done so in my experience anyways
    If you uninstall the kav 4.5 and use the reg cleaner , you will be prompted at the instalation of the 4.0.7.1 to add a key file . Im not sure but were you given a key file in the new down load ? If you have too you coukd write to service @kaspersky.com or Lisa at the kav UK and ask for a key if you cannot locate your key or such . It pays to save it and make a copy of it ie in a safe location like documents . Then when you click on "add" when loading up the 4.0.7.1 it will open up your files and either go straight to where you have saved it in documents or where ever or you need to find it , then double click on it ( the key ) and it will load it into the kav lite . and then carry on with the instalation . Im running on memory here so I hope i got that generallyin the right steps lol .
    The Kav 4.5 is indeed a nice version and Im sure the kav lite 5 will be real good as there are a few bugs in the 4.5 that need sorting out . If they can keep some of the earlier good points of the 4.0.0.7 and intergrate them into the 5 it will be unbeatable as a anti virus for its price and abilities
    but for now the versions give the same protection really

10. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

I have the key number....copied it out of the "about" text within the 4.5 program. Question is, can I just TYPE it into the place that the 4.071 version is requesting it, or does it need some sort of "key file". The download I got from the website had just one zipped installed program so I assume that the key file was already inside that package.

11. solarpowered candle

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11931
    William was talking about a similar issue . to save retyping have a looksie at this thread

If you load 4.5 up after deleting 4.0.71 you will find the key in your kaspersky folder some where . copy that to documents or somewhere . then go thru the long process as on that thread . It works . I now am back with my kav lite 4.0.71 running only as an on demand scanner and my e trust promo as my monitor .

12. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Stupid question, but the key file is the one that is letters/numbers .key

Right?

13. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Actually an easier process for me is to just copy that key file, uninstall 4.5, clean up and delete any other files leftover, reboot, AND THEN install 4.071 and point to the previously saved key file. Right?

14. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

I was reading the user manual for version 4.701 and it actually had some command line switches, etc that could be run. It's ashame that that even though there is no auto-updating from within the new 4.5, that a command line switch can't still be run to make this work.

15. solarpowered candle

yea I agree guruguy, The kav lite had so much going for it . They for some reason , have decided to simplify it so much that the excellent options (auto update/auto scan / are no longer available .Saying that there were a few bugs with it all . However in my opinion if they had of carried on and ironed out these so called bugs . the lite would be the very best anti virus scanner for low cost available . There is a place there in the market for such and it will only be filled by some one else . Its a shame i feel . obviously there isnt enough money in it for them. when they can sell another product for $50 or even $100
    I would never pay that much especially as there are products as good if not better for far less cost.

16. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Now you know why I had resorted to v4.0.7.1 some while back now SPC (as we discussed over at kav forums)
    I wondered then why the latest version seemed far too simplistic, I tend to agree with your comments.

Kev
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.