KAV Lite / Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by GuruGuy, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Does KAV Lite auto-update it's av definitions? I see a button inside the control panel to update them, but was wondering if they will also update themselves automatically....if so, what is the "trigger" mechanism? Is it hardcoded to check every hour, does it look for an internet connection, etc. Also, how do you know what definitions that you have. I can't find anywhere in the control panel that tells me the date of the definitions.....you can click the update button, it will connect and tell you that you are now up to date....but it never says (anywhere that I can find) what definitions that I am using.

I realize that this version is "lite" but displaying the date of the definitions that are currently in use in not something that should be left out!

Thanks!

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi GuruGuy,

I'm afraid I have the Pro ver so it may not apply, but if you haven't already looked, you might look at the About screen for the main scanner app (from which you would do a manual scan)

HTH,

Dan

3. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Edited:

The "about" screen is located within the help screen...

4. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

:doubt: Well I know there are other Kav Lite users here so someone will respond with a better answer :)

Also, I recently came across a very good unofficial KAV forum (hosted by a reseller) I just checked there very quickly and didn't find anything but for future reference the URL for it is

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?

Regards,

Dan

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hey guru guy. The 4.0.7.1 pretty much does those things . The date of the last download and how many you have ie 71000 etc Also automatic updates If I remeber correctly. The 4.0.7.1 was replaced by the 4.5 lite which is good in some ways but lacks some advantages over the 4.0.7.1 For instance you cannot riun 4.5 as a backup scanner only . You can do so with the 4.0.7.1 You may wish to post this question at the ice forums adddress your question to LIsa( of kaspersky labs UK ) http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3f094aab7369ffff :)

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

You might also post your question here at the KAV forum:
    http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

I myself am using KAV Lite as one of my backup AV's, and I do like it very much!
    However: I have at the moment a little bit older version (4.0.7.1). (Of course I know that I should upgrade it, but in a week or two my yearly subscription expires and then I will upgrade it). Since my (as I told) a bit older version does tell me the latest installed definitions date, I have to admit that I'm not sure what to answer. I hope others will jump in!!

BTW-1: you could also have a look at your directory:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVP Shared Files\BASES
    and look for the latest date there.

BTW-2: I myself have added every .avc file to one of my "file-integrity-checkers"; so I will be informed when such a file is changed, when I run that "file-integrity-checker".

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Part of a screenshot of KAV Lite 4.0.7.1 that does show you that info:

Attached Files:

8. solarpowered candle

Hi Jan I just noticed what you were saying and It may pay not to upgrade it to the 4.5 Lite when your liscence is up. as there is no advantage in doing so for those who are using it as a back up . The 4 .5 wont allow that unfortunately . So those who use it as you are are best to stay with the 4.0.7.1. There is no disadvantage in doing this
    and one is as well protected with 4.0.7.1 as the 4.5
    I am currently using the 4.0.7.1 as a back up while im playing around with the e trust prom anti virus . My liscence is up next week also . so I shall keep the 4.0.7.1 when i renew

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi solarpowered candle,

Thanks a lot for your info !!!
    Karma cookie for you :)

(BTW: I use RegRun to manage which programs start up automatically).

Cheers, Jan.

10. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

I purchased the newest version of lite which is 4.5.....I can't find anywhere in the program where it will tell me these things.

I emailed Lisa a couple of hours ago, not sure what time zone she's in but haven't heard back from her yet. I'll post the answer if/when I hear from her.

I just think it's ridiculous that this info is not displayed in the program............seriously, how the heck do you know what definitions you are using.....totally dumb!

11. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Fran,

Saw your screenshot of the earlier ver of Lite.........4.5 does NOT have this in it. The only thing that closely resembles that would be the "report" feature that gives you the last time & date that you manually scanned your files.....it then goes on to list infected, clean, & deleted. That's it!

12. solarpowered candle

For me guru guy It never was a problem . I guess its a matter of faith that when you click update now . that you are indeed being updated with the latest downloads. I never have had a virus /trojon and I havent heard of any one else experiencing that their virus definitions were not working with the 4.5. However if it does concern you then download the 4.0.7.1 which can provide all these things for you ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/products/release/4.0/English/HomeUser/KAVLite/
    If you were to change to the kav 4.0.0.71 you may wish to run the kav reg cleaner after deleting the 4.5 and saving the key to a safe location. then run the kav reg cleaner and reboot b4 setting up the 4.0.7.1

I think that its a good suggestion to send to suggestions@kaspersky.com regarding this issue and perhaps they may rectify this in the next release

The time Now in the UK ( as i write) is 3.30am) so she more than likely will be fast asleep.

13. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi solarpowered candle,

Does your KAV Lite 4.0.7.1 interface look like this:

Attached Files:

14. solarpowered candle

:) Thats the one yes indeedee

I had been using the 4.5 soley as my only anti virus protection. And i think its great for that . However I decided to have a play with the recent Etrust Vet /inoculate freebie promo and so had to reload the 4.0.71 in order to be able to have these all on my system.

15. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

I did receive a reply from Lisa and will post her answers here when she replies back to me if it's ok to do so....hate to copy someone's email without their permission.

I guess the thing I hate most about these issues is this: The Lite version is marketed as a "set it and forget it" program. It is MY OPINION that this is not the case if someone has to REMEMBER to open the control panel and click the update button! To me, that's the worst thing anyone can do.............not update their a/v. You might as well not have it installed if you're not going to have updated definitions!!! I was going to buy several licenses of this for family members, but if it doesn't auto update, forget it. I want something that is truly set it and forget it.........they will never remember (not as conscious of these things) to update on a daily basis!

16. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Lisa gave her permission to post her email answer to me
    ----------------------------------------------------------

The Lite is the budget easy to use package there is no automatic updating -
    only Personal/Personal Pro which have the Kav Control Centre to schedule
    updates can do this.

It does not detect the internet connection - updates are to be run
    manually - it will remind you after a certain number of days to take an
    update.

To check the last update open the Lite Control panel, click on ? which opens
    the help file, click on + next to Kaspersky Lab, and then click on About
    Program.

It will show you your license details and also the last update.

The levels of scanning is really about speed, the Normal level does a quick
    scan but doesn't look at your sectors or startup objects or mail databases,
    the next level Medium will check files most likely to be infected e.g. exe,
    com, doc, xls etc etc.

The highest level will check every file on the system and will take much
    longer.

SFX is a packing program.

Regards
    Lisa
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I re-emailed her again about the auto update, because after following her directions, I found that the last update in my program was July 31......HOWEVER, the last time I manually updated the program was July 30th........................waiting on her response.

17. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

After a few days, does KAV Lite therefore pop up with a message to tell you that your AV definitions are out of date?

AVP 3, 3.5 used to do this when you first booted up without the control centre installed.

Can someone confirm this with KAV Lite?

18. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Lisa and I are emailing back and forth:

Heres the latest from Lisa with my reply underneath:
    -----------------------------------------
    Lisa:
    I don't recall anyone saying it was a "set it and forget it" program - it is
    just easy to use, cheap and ideal for novice users

Me:
    As to the set it and forget it comments, there are several who have posted in forums that refer to it as that, and also in the "buy" section, click on comments, there is a comment that says it:

03/16/2002
    It is one of those products that you just 'install and forget'! Cool program, it does my computer proud

Also, in the same comments section for the lite version, this buyer says that the "new" lite has the auto updater:

04/19/2002
    I have been using Lite for already one year, I figure it is all that I need right now: all is laid out simply, without any confusing 'thingies' - all is understandable at first glance! The only thing the program lacked was a planner that would automatically, as scheduled, download virus database updates. Something that the new Lite has! Super!! One more reason to love this anti-virus program

If these comments are not true, then why are they used and posted by KAV in their buy section for those considering a purchase of this product?

Lisa, do you know of a script or command line setting that I could create to do this? What and where in the KAV directory triggers the update module?

Lisa also asked where I'm located at....here's my reply:

Lisa,

I'm located in Atlanta, GA USA. I'm wondering if the update I got lastnight (my time) at 10:00pm on July 30th was 8:00am or after July 31st (your time). If so, then the terminolgy used in the program may be where the confusion is at.........last updated should really read "definitions date" or something to that effect......instead of last updated, which leads me to believe the ACTUAL time and date OF the last update.

Edited:
    After reading the "buy" comments several times, I am now wondering if they refer to the previous Lite version? If so, why are they still listed on the KAV site for the version that is CURRENTLY being sold; version 4.5o_Oo_O??

19. solarpowered candle

hey guruguy, Fistly the comments on the kaspersky site refer to the earlier version of 4.0.7.1. If you wish for a kav lite that can preform automatic updates and scheduled scans then that is the version that will do this for you. you need to read the help manual once downloaded though and follow the instructions.
    >go to task schedular> ( as an example that is shown in the help manuel )
    To set the updating of the anti-virus databases for 19.00 hours daily, specify the following task values:

1.   Set Startup of updating utility as the Type of task.
    2.   Assign the name of the task, for example, Daily_updating.
    3.   Set Daily as the Frequency setting value.
    4.   In the Time field set the value to 19:00.
    5.   Press OK.

As a result of the actions performed, a task will be created which will be run automatically by the program: the automatic updating of the anti-virus databases from the Internet will be performed every day at 19 hours.

So it appears that both a scan and update can be preformed automatically.

However if you were to recommend this to freinds who are not able to left click there mouse button on update each day to manualkly do this I really doubt they could read the
    help instructions to set up the automatic downloads and scans. you may have to do such for them.

any ways good luck :)

20. Lisa

Lisa AV Expert

Hi everyone,
    Just popping by as I am looking at Lite45 for guruguy.

Lite 45 has no schedule properties, Lite4071 did, but I am not sure if they always worked hence it was dropped in 45. :doubt:

Lite is the budget easy to use option, really aimed at OEM market but still popular with novice users, and as it doesn't use as many resources.
    If you want a version which has scheduling features then I would advise Personal version, this comes with KAV Control Centre which fully automates all main Kav tasks.

The Lite program should remind you every 14 days to update, it is agreed that this is too long for today's updates, but there will not be any further development on 4.5, it will be fixed in v.5.0.

21. solarpowered candle

some of the qualities of the older 4.0.071 are real good and better than the later 4.5 ( i feel) the ability to run 4.0.07 as a back up scanner . where as the 4.5 one cannot. The ability to set up scans and updates . where as the 4.5 cannot. I wonder is the lessening of these qualities , which is a shame , a deliberate way of incouraging purchasers into the more expensive versions .

22. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Lisa,

Welcome !
    Thanks for coming here ! :)

Best regards, Jan.

23. Lisa

Lisa AV Expert

Thanks Jan,
    SPC,
    I believe the reason 4.5 was brought out was to reduce the amount of drag in previous versions, and to fix an error in 4071 where it sometimes crashed when opening the report file.

They also incorporated everything into one interface.

I guess we can't please everyone :D :D :rolleyes:

24. solarpowered candle

well i hope the 5 is a vaste improvment over the 4.5. :)
    the 4.5 does appear to have less drag than 4.0.7.
    however being a dedicated lite user of both i feel that there have been good things dropped , which make the lite unusuable or increasingly so for the average user.whomay not wish to spend the amount that the personal or pro cost . which is a shame.

25. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Hi Lisa,
    Got your last email. Thanks for the quick replies. The "last updated" message is still puzzling though.......are my assumptions as listed in your email and also quoted above correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.