KAV/KIS 2014 beta?!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pablo87, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

How is the beta doing guys?
    The first beta(s) were very crappy for me
    to unstable and i had some bsod when kis installed
    how is it know?

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Well, I don't use KAV but I'll have to agree with the devs this time.
    You and others surely like that option. In my view, "advanced settings" is a paramount nonsense for every AV out there. AV companies should do their best to provide users with the best balance between detection and performance from their out-of-the-box default settings, which it's not the case for Kaspersky, Avira and others as far as I know (taking AV-C tests as reference).
    I think, in this world where nearly a quarter of all pc's have no AV protection at all (and for the most of those using any, free versions mostly, they just don't care a bit whether it's working/updating properly or not), talking about an "advanced settings" configuration (that will do more harm than benefit to them) comes down to raising the ego of the "advanced users" who paradoxically, given their experience, might be using no AV at all.
    Let's face it, "normal" pc users (Wilderites excluded :p) hate AV's and alike software. They all want a single install-and-forget security app that works without extra effort on their part.
    And forget about "layered protection": it's rocket science for them.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I need a dumbed down application. I will see what it is about when it is introduced.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

While KIS can be very complicated, the removal of advanced options seems like a very bad idea. A bit dependent on which options have been removed.

I can see the logic from a support perspective, but it just doesn't seem right :(

I've always accessed the advanced setup of EVERY AV/suite I've ever used.

7. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I'm pretty new to using Kis but if advanced settings are removed I'll uninstall.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

This is not set in stone yet.

Its still in a beta stage so kaspersky may heed the user,s wishes and keep the advanced settings in the final release.

The GUI has been revamped so that may be interesting.

9. xxJackxx

Though I thought the GUI looked promising their track record for listening to customers is the worst in the industry. They don't care what we want, and they will give us what they want us to have. Selective install (the lack thereof) was something many still complain about (I don't miss it or care) but this subject is a deal breaker for me. Dumbed down products tend to get it wrong. I want something that will find potential issues and let me decide how they are dealt with. Not just something that will do what it pleases and tell me about it afterwards.

10. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I heard that unfortunately it won´t have advanced settings.

11. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I have my settings for full scans set at high. This mode scans all files at a high level of heuristics among other things. I scan when I go to sleep so I reallly don't care how long it takes.

Kaspersky is on record of having as its goal to be the number one AV in the world in terms of sales. I guess its market analysis suggests that to do this it needs to dumb it down (simplify) for wider mass appeal. It will be interesting to see how KIS 2014 does in comparative tests where KIS usually requests or the tester requires that the tests be made at the highest level of security. An A/V does not necessarily have to have the best detection rate to be the best seller

It could be that K is so confident about the normal setings in KIS 2014 that it feels the high setting is no longer useful.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  12. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

High/normal/low presets for components/scans settings are still available, but you won't be able to customize individual settings.

13. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Looks like I'll definitely be moving on from Kis.

14. hawki

hawki Registered Member

TY for the info.

15. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

16. xxJackxx

Maybe more stable than previous builds but this build won't update and it crashed my VM twice before I gave up. If you choose to install this know you are still beta testing and don't try to use it on a production machine.

17. xxJackxx

14.0.0.4515 is available for testing and unlike my complaints yesterday, this one seems not too bad. I'm still testing in a VM, but no real problems to speak of, so far anyway. :thumb:

18. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Release is near:

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I think when it comes out I am going to enter my 2012 license in my 2013 KIS and hopefully won't have to buy a 2014 license. That might send me to Avast.

Jerry

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you need to get your bighead, ;) over to Eset if you want simplicity and security all wrapped into one.

21. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

Thats great news! KIS all the way cant wait for the final dutch version release
    I hope its comming soon! :)

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

SO VERY WRONG. i refuse to use a av without advanced settings. maybe there are some and i agree with that who should not have advanced settings but MANY MANY people want them. even a lot of clients i have i set up their av a certain way and most know to leave it alone but i WANT advanced settings. i left kaspersky a long time back and will never look that way again unless they change their tune on a lot of things. i also no longer even recc it to clients. im pretty sure actually i have switched everyone off it even giving some lic's away to the remaining ones using it for other av's

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Big and dumb. o_O :)
    Not sure why Eset never suited me. Part of the time it has not shown the detection/protection that equaled KIS and a few others. Maybe another reason is that I have been able to get KIS and Avast Pro at cheap prices compared to ESET.

For now I will stick with KIS and Avast Pro, and see how 2014 goes. Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone knows about the various AVs; it is YOUUUUU. :rolleyes: :thumb: :D
    Jerry

24. xxJackxx

Agreed. We should stop trying to bring down the standard. I've never run a product that did not encounter at least 1 false positive. No AV is smart enough to think for me. When these products all get dumbed down enough I will stop using AV. Maybe these AV companies think when they lose me they will pick up 10 more less savvy computer users, but guess who those users come to when they want to know what product to use? :ouch:

25. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It's just my opinion, pal ;)

What's more, I think that is the goal for all AV companies that grow that large (Kaspersky in this case, the same for Avira not long ago), companies like any other in the business that just want to earn more money from users by focusing on the usability of their software what is, in the end, what the vast majority of their customers want. Have you ever read the coined phrase "install & forget" written all over their websites...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.